Saturday, August 13, 2005

The state of music Videos...

I finished up some writing today...
Didn't get but about a page done, but that's good enough...
Progress is progress...

But anyway, I sat on the couch this afternoon and did a little channel surfing and came across BET's top 25 countdown hosted by Jermaine Dupri, a music producer from my beloved Atlanta. We went to the same elementary school. I didn't know him. He was in first grade, and I was in the sixth...

But he played some of his favorite videos, and I must say, it made me proud to see all the work he's done. A lot of the videos featured were of songs he produced. Too bad he doesn't get the credit he deserves.

Most of these videos were from over five to fifteen years ago. Videos by Xscape, Kriss Kross, the Brat, old Usher, etc. This was when videos were fun.

It made me a bit sad, because I actually use to love videos. I can't say that about today's current videos. I can't even look at them. I don't like being forced to look at scantily clad women bent over, their butts filling the entire T.V. screen. No thank you honey, but I don't want to see the imprint of your vagina against the fabric of your thong. I mean, if you turn the volume down there's no difference from video to video... No, I don't want to see shiny cars with shiny rims spinning in the sun. And please backup from the camera. Your platinum, gold and diamond encrusted grill is blinding me.

It's getting really old...

What happened to originality?? Okay, Missy Elliot, Busta Rhymes, Outkast... they're innovative. But that's about it. Everybody else? Well...Better yet, what happen to just standing on a stage, on the beach, on the sidewalk, and simply singing the songs???

I would like a video music channel that played only old videos. I'd definitely subscribe to that.

Yeah, I would like that a lot!

1 comment:

  1. Karla J3:42:00 AM

    This is so true!!! Watching The Bobby Brown story got me missing music videos too. To this day I know the moves to My Prerogative and Every Little Step like the back of my hand because I practiced over and over again. I may not be as smooth with it like I finally achieved back then but this at is a gift NONE of these artists can offer these days. Good music died many years ago and these videos are just sad deja vu reruns.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!