Monday, June 02, 2008

Cornbread and Water

You know, I believe. . .

No, I'm pretty much convinced. . .

That there is something in the cornbread. . .

or the water.

It seems as if there is a baby epidemic going on. So many pregnant women around me, more than usual.

Got all the ladies at work looking at the water fountain a bit strange.

(Maybe we should be looking at the cornbread instead).

Don't know what it is.

Let's just assume that it's just a wonderful baby making season:)

My boss had her baby girl this morning. They sent out an email, and she requested "No visitors". That's because I'd been threatening for months to round up a gang of folk and come up to the hospital and act real crazy, you know, running up and down the corridors yelling her name.

(I was just, uh, playing, Darth Sista. Congrats, Boss!!)

Well, in the past 9 months I've made 4 baby blankets, the latest being one for my faaaavorite LadyLee blog reader, Ms.blackliterature.com.


She is due this month. (Hold on girl, you're allllmost there!!).

I like this blanket. I got this thing for squares right now, and I could take a small ball of yellow or white yarn with me and make my squares, instead of lugging around a full blanket. I took the unfinished blanket to work a couple of times, like I always do, so that my crochet mentor (who taught me to crochet!), The Cowgirl Cre, could have a look at it. She answers any questions I have and does a little bootleg consulting. I am very knit-picky about the least little things out of place. She always answers with the "Gurl, if I were you, I wouldn't worry about it."

This irks me because I want her to worry as much as I do. No chance at THAT.

But I was walking the halls at work one day and I saw a coworker dressed in a sweat suit. Now, we have a part of the military working with us, and I am use to her walking around in her military gear. So I stopped her and questioned her, preparing to threaten her, really.

"Uh, you're not suppose to have that on, girl!!"

"I'm waiting on my maternity military outfit, LadyLee," she whispered. "My military pants no longer fit."

*crickets*

I was stunned for a moment, just staring. And I realized once again that it was time to make another blanket. I led her to my cubicle area. I had my unfinished blankets with me that day.

And she wants the yellow and white blanket above.

So here we go again.

Just how many blankets will I make this year??

*LadyLee walking the halls at work, staring at the ladies who are drinking from the water fountain*

*LadyLee giving the hard eye squint to the ladies having a piece of cornbread with their lunch*

LOL!!

10 comments:

  1. Dr Ladylee,

    Your faithfull readers can't really tell from the pic, but this baby blanket is BEAUTIFUL. The borders are so perfect and round -- intricate. You must have spent hours working on everything. And the blanket is soooo soft it makes you want to hold it in your lap and pet it. Yes, I said pet it!

    Thank you so much. I feel blessed.

    Oh... I think it's something in the black eyed peas, but I could be wrong. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:16:00 AM

    I'm sure you are staying away from the water fountain and cornbread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Ms.blackliterature.com...

    No, you can't tell from the picture how nice it is. And pictures are so doggone 2-D. I suck at modeling blankets, LOL!

    This is my 2nd time making that blanket. Could go for a boy or a girl, and since you're having a girl, I put a ruffle border on it.

    That one came out pretty good!

    I thought I was gonna have to run up to Charlotte and choke Serenity because she was on email talking about how she wanted to keep it.

    But she said you loved it, and I am glad! Very glad!

    Won't be long now. Before the month is out, you'll have that baby in your arms! Take care, and I hope you have a safe delivery, hon!

    @That southern black gal...

    And from what BL is saying, staying away from the black-eyed peas too!!!

    I had a kidney sonogram a couple of months ago. Looked eerily like the ultrasound set-up. I was thinking while watching the screen, "I'ma choke this technician if she says 'There's a baby!'"

    LOL... No such "luck"! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:08:00 PM

    If you'll notice I have been bringing in bottle water for a minute now. I have not have any cornbread either!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is all that squinting and observing of folk so you can do inventory of how many folk you might need to make blankets for?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know who will not be needing a baby blanket is me.. But yeah, that blanket was so bright and sunny.... The baby's gonna be walking around wtih that blanket everywhere as soon as she learns to walk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LL you are the absolute sweetest blogger there is. Your heart must be bigger than my house just so it can accommodate all that dang generosity that comes with you. YOU are so much of what I aspire to be.

    Dang! I almost want to get pregnant just so I can get one of dem blankies! Anyone got some cornbread 'round here?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @The Cowgirl Cre...

    Yes, you do stash the bottled water under our cubicle, don't you!? And I'm drinking right along with you (bring some more!)! LOL!!

    @The 2nd 68...

    oh yes, brother. I squint hard. I do believe there is a wierd correlation there.

    Heck, I'm even looking at the dudes who drink from the water fountain... I'm looking at them sideways!

    I'm about to start graphing that ish! LOL

    @That Original Oldgirl Serenity...

    You know, you almost got choked out with that "I almost want to keep it craziness." I may have to rethink mailing you gifts for others. I got my eye on you, Oldgirl!

    @That Original Oldgirl Sharon

    **crickets**

    This admiration from you, who donated a whole kidney. Now if I can sow a seed like THAT, and catch up to YOUR generosity... GEEZ.

    **crickets**

    Go head on and have a baby, Ma. I would sho nuff make a blanket for you! Really though!!! Just let me know!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous9:40:00 AM

    There are four women @ my job that are pregnant as well. **I started bringing bottled water... can't take any chances.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's the cornbread for sure! :D

    By the way, I have a few crocheted blankets from when my daughter was born as gifts and can't part with them. She'll be getting these for her baby someday.

    Your labor of love will be passed on. Believe!

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!