Monday, January 08, 2007

SnAkE BiTEs: Introduction


The Mayor of my Hood, Snake, always runs up on Hen-Dog, myself, and a host of others on my street to give words of advice, talk trash, or just straight up get all up in our business...

The usual scenario:

*LadyLee jumping out of car and running to door, trying to hurry up and get in the house before she is spotted!*

*Snake yelling from down the street loud enough fro the whole world to hear: "LadyLee!!!!!!!!! N**** hold up a minute!!"

*LadyLee dropping keys on porch because she was trying TOO hard to get in the house*

LOL!!!!

He runs up on me every other day, especially when I'm getting out of my chaffeur my carpool partner Hen-Dog's car.

"Let me wash your car, gal!!"

"No, Snake!!"

"Give me some work to do!"

"No, Snake!"

"Gimme a dollar!"

"Hell no, Snake!!"

We were talking on Saturday, and I told him that I'd just come home from a finance meeting with my book club sistas, and that I had to gear myself up to take better care of my finances.

Snake said, "Listen, LadyLee, you got a roof over your head, you can turn the lights and heat on and off when you want to, you are comfortable. Don't you forget that, alright."

I shrugged... "Yeah, you're right. I gotta keep that in mind."

"Now, give me a damn dollar!"

"No, Snake!!"

Snake is the mayor: the neighborhood busy-body, the neighborhood regulator. If someone gets robbed, we go to Snake to find out who did it. If we see strange people walking the streets, we talk to Snake. If he don't know who they are, he'll go find out, and report back. If we need the car washed, he washes it. (I have been a participant, albeit forced, in a few prepaid carwash plans).
Snake is the man!

Anyway, he likes to roll up on us, and break out in poetry. This is disturbing at times, as we don't know whether if he's high as a kite or not, but he has said some interesting things... Most interestingly, I've noticed that he repeats a lot of stuff, and I figured out that he has memorized much of it.

So in a effort to keep him from harrassing me, I gave him a composition notebook, and told him to go write some of what he's thinking down on paper. I told him I would put it on my blog, and if all goes well, I would allow him to write a poem once or month.

He has been EXTREMELY excited about this, as I have heard from other neighbors.

Let's just say he returned the next day, with several pages of poetry, written in perfect cursive...

Expressing his thoughts on the hood, street life, living day to day... and purpose.

I read through it, and I didn't have to do any editing.

So Snake, The Mayor of my hood, is on program now.

The 1% Diva in me has found need to have a blog staff, LOL!

So every Monday morning, grab a cup of copy, and have your


"Snake Bites"


To be continued...




3 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:01:00 PM

    Snakebites!

    Now that's something. I've been in a reflective mood. And I swear, I think that mankind, all of us are a lot more alike than not.

    Could be fate or circumstance or plain luck that causes some of us to choose a different paths. At the end of the day, we ALL want to be loved, to matter, to be understood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Sherri, Ms. Blackliterature.com...

    Good comment, Sherri... We all want the same thing. The older i get, the more I realize, only a few small decisions separate us all from where we are or should be in life. Nothing major, just small.

    Snake is really excited about this venture... He has worked really hard. My only requirement was that he comes from his hard, and spit some knowledge. I think he may even touch on his position in life, why he is the way he is, etc... We get lectured ALL the time in my my hood by him... I told him, he might as well write it all down, and get it all out...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love it!...Tell Snake I have always been his biggest fan!

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!