Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Curse of the Purse, Part II

Click here for Curse of the Purse, PART I

You know...

The sound of crickets is a truly amazing sound, so serene, so peaceful...

. . .especially in the midst of. . .

*silence*

And that's what I heard, when Mike said... "I want to buy that purse for you."



I had to sit up and turn on the light. Just to make sure I was awake. I knew I was awake when my cat Oscar-Tyrone jumped on the bed and did a few stretches.

"Lee, you still there?"
"Uh... yeah."
"Like I said, I want to buy that purse. You seem to like it a lot, and you know, you don't like stuff like that. I thought it would be a good Christmas gift, but I didn't want to buy it, and you already thinking about going out and getting it."


He just kept talking. And talking and talking and talking. It all ran together. He even sounded sincere.

By that time, I had gotten up and turned on some more lights. I made my way to the kitchen.

"Well... I see you all sleepy, and I will let you go. I just saw you get excited about a bag of all things. Just think about it, and let me know. Sleep tight."
"Uh, uh, alright."


Click.

Now, I'm tripping. I was a deer in the headlights after that... Let's just say it took me a good hour to get back to sleep.

I guess you say... "Gee, how nice of him!"

I was saying... "Gee, how can I get this purse, shake Mike's hand, then say "Thank you", and keep it moving?"

'Cause, you know how the "gift-giving" thing goes...

Don't ACT like you don't know the deal.

Now, let me think here. I've been around the block a few times. Heck, I've been around the neighborhood, LOL. I've been in, let's see... six relationships in my lifetime, done did some cheating here and there, been in a couple of fights

I was even married for awhile. Been through a divorce, too.

An Oldgirl has been around the block. An Oldgirl knows the game.

I'm like this: I can talk to a dude for a few minutes and make a decision about some things on the spot. Made them decisions about good Ol' Mike. And that's where that stands. And no buying of material items will change my mind.

And, uh, if it takes buying something to get a chick's attention... I don't know, something's wrong with someone liking someone just because they bought something.

Just how long will that relationship last?

And what is the payback for such?

Maybe I'm just tripping...

So, I decided to talk to some of my fellow chemists at work.

You know, some of the bruthas. Just to see what they thought.

The question was: If you buy a woman a 500 dollar purse, do you expect anything from her?

The answers were:

"Yes, oooooh, oooh, OOH... a little sumthin' sumthin' I suppose. Oh yeah!" That was from my boy By. He cupped his hand to his mouth and his eyes got VERY big. He is one of the more conservative brothers... wasn't expecting that from him!

"Oh hell yes. See, LadyLee, if I was a baller? Oh no, 500 dollars means nothing. But making the money we make? Oh, I definitely expect something. Most definitely." That was from my boy B, over in the other building. And I knew he was serious, because he gave me that none blinking stare, and the slightly furrowed eyebrows.

One of the more crazy brothers ran up on us in the lab, and I am always interested in what he has to say. When asked the question, he frowned hard, like I'd just stolen his money. "ABSOLUTELY, girl!" he yelled, then went on to explain.

Gee, I think he said "absolutely" a gazillion times in his answer.

Then there was Hen-Dog.

And I already know his answer... but we need a proper number of dudes for the blog survey.

"If I bought a chick a 500 purse?" he asked, trying to make sure he heard the question right.

Me and my coworker T peered at him curiously. I was standing there, with the purse close to my bosom, doing my ritualistic rubbing, my eyes glazing over hard. "Yeah, man."

"You gotta give it up... 'cuz I know you got it on you," he said with a big smile. "You got it on you, so you gotta give it up. I KNOW you got in on you, girl."

I thought he was gonna jump up and run around and do backflips. He had that excited look in his eye, and all 32 of his teeth were showing.

*Ladylee kicks the hard eyeroll and goes back to desk*

Just what I thought. Let's me know that I ain't stupid, and I ain't imagining things.

No purse for the Oldgirl... and other things bother me about this.

I don't work off "agendas". I am CONSTANTLY checking my motives. Constantly. Let's just say, I don't use people, I don't try to get over on people, I don't run scams... none of that. Things have a way of coming back on you like a mutha. When you deal with me, you dealing with true-blue.

And I'm learning these days that in all actuality, that makes me a bad person, a mean person, a pessimist, a hard ass, EXTREMELY "unlikable"...

I say to that... WHATEVER.

But still...

I have tried to wrap my mind around how to get hold of that purse for FREE without having to pay for it later... without consequences.

I am thinking of the past, too.

Now, Eli, a boyfriend of mine, bought me a Louis Vuitton drawstring purse just like the one pictured here, back in 1989. I LOVED THAT PURSE. It was a bootleg, of course, bought for 95 dollars down at an Asian store in College Park somewhere. I think we were in the store, and I said I liked it, and lo and behold, he suprised me with it.

I can still see the smile on Eli's face, the twinkle in his eye, after he snatched it out of a Kroger plastic bag and yelled

"Suprise!! Look what I got you!"

Let's just say, the Oldgirl was happy for many days after that! And so was Eli. LOL!!

But that was my boyfriend, and had been for 2 years.

'Scuse my language...but, We was in LOOOOOOVVVVVVVE!

I didn't throw that purse away until some 16 years later, when I moved into my new house. That's how much I liked that purse. Hadn't carried it in years, but it meant something to me. It was the first "expensive" gift a man had ever given me.

At the same time, back in 1995, I borrowed 65 bucks from a boyfriend to cover some bounced checks (shut up... I was a struggling grad student). I had to hear about the damn 65 bucks for months! Everytime we argued, it always came up. "Baby, I gave you 65 dollars back in '95, and I needed that money, but I love you and I gave you my last, blah, blah, BLAAAAAH!"

DANG!!

This is the reason, to this day, I DO NOT borrow money from people.. I would rather drown than ask people for money.

Yes, the Oldgirl is jaded.

Brang it on back to the present time.

*Lee running back from the stroll down memory lane*

I am NOT allowing some dude who ain't my man to buy me ANYTHING. I'm not allowing some man who WANTS to be my man to buy me JACK.

Yo, if I'm gonna pimp myself out? Dude... you need to hand over about 6 mortgage payments.

Yeah. Everybody has there price. What's yours? (Don't answer that, Southern Gal).

We are all smart people here. A purse like that wonderful Carly don't come without tightly attached strings. REAL tight strings.

And I am too old for that ish...

Really though.

I make enough money to buy my own purse.

But I was a bit concerned with myself, to the point where I had to check myself, for trying to figure out how to get that purse and disappear. Granted, I thought about this for only a day or so, but still...

That ain't me.

And besides... Ol' Mean Ass Cynthia, my coworker, just supplied the most wonderful quote:

"You don't need to carry a purse that cost more than the money you got to put in it."

Well, I don't know about all THAT. She was standing over me in my cubicle, kicking the HARD scowl. And it sounds good, nevertheless.

But I keep hearing voices...

"Get that purse, Lee!"

"That's a bad purse, girl!"



"You deserve that purse. Do something nice for yourself!"

Voices haunting me... I can't get away from them! Ugggh.


And to top it off, my coworker T slid a Coach catelogue on my desk... then quietly walked away. And yes, I have perused it. The 700 dollar Bleecker large patchwork leather duffel brought freakin' tears to my eyes. I liked the 18 dollar lipstick, but they didn't have the shade I like. Sigh.

I saw my beloved Carly inthe catelogue... touched it softly with my fingers.

So... I decided what I would do: I plan on being debt free, minus my mortgage, in about 6-8 months.

I will purchase the Coach Carly for myself as a reward for reaching said goal. Shoot... might even get the dayum Bleecker while I'm at it.

I am sure that my Triple F financial freedom gang leader would love to hear that. She has taught me well. My deputy FFF gang leader Tiffany won't be as nice ("That was a bad purse!! Go get the bookleg version") but she will put the game face on for
our gang leader.

That way... I can look at that purse, and instead of thinking...

"Man oh man, I had to twerk it out for this purse right here!"

I can think...

"This purse is a symbol of my reaching a huge personal goal."

Yeah... I like that better.

So for now?

I will dream. I will continue to pester my coworker. She allows me to hold her purse and caress it gently for a few minutes a day. Maybe all the "feenin'" will wear off, and I will become interested in something else.

And Mike...

Holler at me, when you can pay, say, uh... 5 or 6 mortgage payments or hook up the Lexus ES 300 I'm feenin for.

Yeah!!

LOL!!

(Just playing.)

???

18 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:10:00 PM

    Just Playing? No you aint...

    Mike hurry up with them funds hear??? Celie ain't got no time to be playing pitty pat with you in a meadow!!!!

    Good decision Girlie....I wish I was as fiscally responsible...but you shall witness my transformation in 2008!

    Now write some more and get back to Mike!!! I'm sure you can come up witha suitable story to answer all of our questions...and you know we got some

    *Tucking my shank back in my sock and waving hi to mike*

    ReplyDelete
  2. and what da hale happened to Hen Dog's hair? Yeesh

    ReplyDelete
  3. And, uh, if it takes buying something to get a chick's attention... I don't know, something's wrong with someone liking someone just because they bought something.

    Just how long will that relationship last?
    oooh, I'm raising my hand... Let me answer... Dr. Lee.. It will last as long as the man wants it to and he has the funds to keep buying stuff. When the well dries up, then it's over... LMAO...I have had a free lunch or two in my day... ~I better shut up before I don't get my OG Platinum Card.~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who in the sam hell is Mike? I'm sitting here reading 2 thesis-long posts about a purse and ain't got one explanation on this Mike dude. Was I absent from work when you and the chickens were squawkin' about this cat?

    But I tell you what...if I were a dude and I bought a chick a $500 purse, there would be some conjugal expectations. I think that you exceeded the "just wanted to give you something nice, dear" limit by say...$450.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:38:00 AM

    Nah LB....you ain't miss nothing...shoot..maybe we both missed out on that thread LOL

    Golden chicken...did you know?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nope. I sure didn't know... She's not pulling the wool over nobody. We better get an explanation on Mike stat.. And I'm waving at Mike.. Mike, you got any NICE friends who want to buy a girl that new Dooney and Burke Hayden bag in red? it's only $500... Not much... My conversation is worth much more than that.. LMAO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:07:00 PM

    These days dudes are looking for a little "something something" after a $15 dollar dinner @ Applebee's so I know a $500 purse requires alot of "something something".

    Since you told me not to answer that question, I won't but you should know my answer. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hail muthafrikkin yeah there better be a booty on my damn face if you gots your hand on that purse...

    Oh... You didn't ask me...

    But I am with LB. That was about $450 above the "Gettin' My Foot In The Door Gift"

    Glad you took the time to reason this one to a good conclusion. Besides I like to "browse" things a bit before I buy. That way if I really want it, I will still be thinking about it when it DO go on sale! Let us know what happens in 6 months.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous4:57:00 PM

    I have been dissed but never like this ALESIA. You are a hard woman to get next to ALESIA. Just wanted to do something nice for you ALESIA. With no strings attached ALESIA. Why do you keep me a secret ALESIA. I will call you tonight to talk about this ALESIA.
    P.S. Hello to serinity 3-0 and dj diva

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm weak as hell!!! LOL Ole boy ain't having that Lee..I was thinking the same thing about said dude..aint heard nuttin' bout him, but since your Aces have heard anything either, I don't feel so out of the loop. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am dying!!! I like Mike. Is that really Mike? Must be him or one of the chickens, b/c he put your gubment name out there in all caps...ALESIA! So...why DO you keep Mike a secret, ALESIA? Come to think of it, you have said maybe 10 words on the thread in the past couple of weeks. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OOooohh Mike! If you were in the door (key word is WERE) you ain't no more.. Not putting her real name on there... Bye bye Mike!
    PS - Do you happen to work at Barnes & Nobles? Usher at the church? Or perhaps are you a fry cook?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, I take a day off to take care of a friend, and I come back to a bunch of comments. Interesting. All over a purse... and some dude.

    Very interesting indeed.

    @DJ Diva... Won't be writing about Mike... This way, I can look at the purse as a reward for myself and be PROUD. Of course, takes more work, but that which ain't worth working for ain't worth having. Things that come easy... well, you know how that go.

    And that was Hen Dog's Easter haircut this year. I wrote a post on it: April 8 2007 post.

    @Pretty... we all know the game, been there, done that. Ya know? I am too old for that vicious cycle.

    @LB... You know I don't talk about all that is going on with me, gal. Hint, hint: it must not be important... Some things are about as important as picking fuzzballs out the carpet.

    @S23... when you DO get an explanation of Mike, you're gonna be pissed, and I will just leave it at that.

    @That black southern gal...
    Yeah, but you can get away with a handshake after a 15 dollar dinner. Not sure about a $500.00 purse that is not a consumable item... hmmm...

    Curious, you know, after your Flava Flav comment elsewhere: just WHAT would you do for a $500 purse? I'm just curious, babes!

    @The 2nd 68... yeah, you are a dude, and I see you are thinking what a dude thinks in this situation, LOL...

    @Michael...okay, I could blog out of control in this comment section to you, but I won't. Thanks a lot for using the gub'ment name. Gee, that really scores you some brownie points there. Really. You're a genius. You really are. Just like it is a such a great idea to buy me a purse. Hmm... be glad I ain't one of them chicks who use folks. Be very glad. And stay off my blog, shorty. Much Obliged.

    @Kayla... You've been up in here for many moons, babes... My blog is only about 5% personal, and I don't talk about dudes who are about as important as the lint floating through the air. One or two words may slip out here and there, but that's about it... you better catch em!!

    This post to me was more about a purse, and the personal disappointment I felt spending even one iota of a second thinking about how I could get my hands on it and being ghost... How I could use Mike and get this purse, if you want to get to the real question--which gets over into manipulation, etc... and that ain't me. Let's just say i had to sit down and do some journalling and check my soul, and there is a lot going on in between the lines in this post. And I don't want it to ever be me.

    @LB... Mike is no secret. Mike isn't even thought about. Mike isn't around. Out of sight, out of mind. 2 words: Not important.

    @S23... Baby, Mike don't even know where the door is. If I wrote about him, he would be a "Food for thought" post. And we don't want that, do we?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous8:51:00 AM

    Dang...what did Mike do to deserve this? I'm feeling kinda sorry for Mike....Mike is kinda macho there...with the gobment name and all....

    sing it with me Mike

    oh baby you
    you got what I neeeeeeed
    but you say I'm just a friend
    but you say I'm just a friend
    Oh baby youuuuuu

    ReplyDelete
  15. well shoot. Be sick for a while and come back to a whole lot. I love that bag by the way. I like the plan for the purse too. It is major. I am truly digging the other bag too.

    wow. Mike.... bless your lil slow heart.

    ReplyDelete
  16. LMAO @ Deep "bless your lil slow heart." Too good!

    But I was serious. Let us know what happens in six months...Unless you already KNOW you ain't buying the purse. I have faith that you aren't shallow and mean.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Girl, you didn't need a survey! You know gifts like that mean a layaway plan for some booty. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Rosemarie....

    OH NO, Rosemarie!! Not the layaway plan for the booty!! OH NO, say it isn't so!

    (My thoughts exactly, LOL!)

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!