Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Day Nine - Your Beliefs

Wow... such a topic.

This topic could go on and on and on...

From mountain high to river deep - on and on.

Actually, it's pretty hard to think about. Hard to narrow down one thing to write about.

So I won't. I'll keep it... vague.

I do believe I can say one thing concerning my beliefs that will encompass every belief that I hold.

And that is:

My beliefs are my beliefs.

Period.

They belong to me. They are solely mine. They are very unique unto myself.

You will never ever have to worry about me pointing at you and hollering "I believe this so you should believe it too."

Are you serious? Really?

Not on your life.

Yet I see it all the time. People are like that. Constantly.

I make a mental post-it note of it. I don't judge the folk, but I can stay out of their periphery. Best to be the way, because they will end up hating me.

People who attempt to force their beliefs on others, sometimes to the point of being downright argumentative, are, in my opinion, seeking some type of validation. We might be even dealing with a self-esteem issha of some sort.

Don't use me to jack up your self-esteem. Humph.

I believe what I believe. If our beliefs are similar, then cool.

But if they are different, that's cool too.

Why?

Because.

Because I believe our beliefs are born out of... something.

They are born out of our experiences, our dreams, our trials, our triumphs, our failures, our hurts, our successes, our pains, and so much more.

All of those things come together to make us who we are.

All of those things shape and mold our beliefs.

I respect that. Really, I do.

So with that said...

What right do I have to criticize your beliefs, or you to criticize mine?

Why should I have a problem with what religious views you hold? Your sexual preference? The decisions you make?

We are all free moral agents. With a sole right to make any choices we choose.

And all of those choices are born out of our belief system.

Period.

I respect that. I truly do.

So that's your Friendly Neighborhood Oldgirl's treatise on beliefs.

A little vague...

But I think you get the point.

5 comments:

  1. That wasn't vague...it was very clear. I couldn't agree more, but I know that if I disagreed, that'd still be cool, right? LOL.

    Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow..well said Lee. Now, what the heck am I supposed to write about behind that...lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Not so Anonymous... You are funny. It's alright to disagree with whatever I say. I just have issues when it can't be done in an amicable way. If we disagree, and you badger me about it, to the degree of being disprespectful well... let's just say that tells me a lot about you...

    But you're nothing like that! If you were, you wouldn't be my goals technologist and future POTUS! lol

    @Bayou Creole chick Ali... write whatever you want, Oldgirl. I'll be reading, lol.

    Too hard to write my beliefs without explanation. I don't like explaining myself. Southern Black Gal did an excellent job at handling this topic. My post would have been 50 pages long if I listed my beliefs with explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:49:00 AM

    Well said!

    LOL @ 50 pages long. #true

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's much easier to change my mind about something by showing me than talking to me. I'm such an actions person.

    I'm like you, LadyLee -- I have my opinions and they are mine and I'm going to do my thing in accordance. If you're interested and wanna know why, we can chat but to beat someone over the head with MY beliefs? Nope...

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!