Thursday, September 28, 2006

Boy in the Military...

So...

My brother has switched from Army Reserves to Active Duty...

This occurred some three weeks ago, and I decided to wait to blog about it, just to give myself a little distance from his decision. Also, i didn't want to short out my laptop with my crocodile tears! LOL!

And I have to admit, I don't care for that military look. I remember standing next to him last November after his graduation from basic training, looking up at him, staring at him afterwards, not understanding the point of all that damn camoflauge makeup. I remember asking him if I could touch his made-up face, if I could touch his gun... I remember not liking that look, his guns, his flak jacket, his night scope... but I do remember one thing: being incredibly proud of him for completing his basic training.

So one day, a couple of months ago, I am sitting downstairs in my favorite chair, feet up on the ottoman, pecking away on my laptop. He runs downstairs, looking all nervous. I peer at him over my glasses, wondering what he wanted from me. It reminded me of when he was a little boy and he would dance around me as I was sitting at the computer, nervously typing out my dissertation...


"What do you want?"

"We gotta talk."

Lord please don't let this boy tell me that he done went and got some lil' girl pregnant, I thought quietly to myself as I stared hard at him.

"What's wrong?" I asked. I was ready to thoroughly crack him over the head with my laptop.

"I'm going active."

"What?"

"I said, I am going active."

He seem to make sure he wasn't too close to me. It was if he thought that if he had to break out and run from an ass-kicking, he would have at least some type of a head start.

I just looked at him. I didn't whine and cry like I did when he first said that he was going into the army the year before. I just plainly stated the following:

"You do whatever the hell you want to do. Screw it. I am tired. I have done what I could to help you and Kentucky [our sister], and shit, man, I am tired, and I am choosing to emotionally distance myself from this whole mess. All I know is that you better not ever say that I didn't EVER do anything to try and help you. You better not blame this decision on no one else but you. I am tired. I am through."

I went back to typing whatever I was working on. I was a bit mad because I had been pretty much been labeled a villian of late. I was through with it all.


He was taken aback by my answer, standing there rubbing his hands on his shorts.

"Lee, you have done a lot to help us. A whole lot. I have been thinking about this, and it is something I want to do."

"Whatever man. I am through. I am sick of this. Do whatever you want to do. I am through. Leave me alone. I am busy."


We didn't talk much for a few days. I was brooding a bit. It didn't help that I had had a funky run-in with our sister Kentucky about a very touchy issue, and I was in the mood where I pretty much wanted everybody out of my damn house anyway. Let's just say he picked the wrong time to spring such news on me.

He tried to talk with me about it some more. I maintained that I was emotionally disconnecting myself from it all. He is grown. He could do whatever he wanted. I was gonna shift from always thinking of them and I was going to start thinking about me. End of discussion.

I was just mad as hell. I did not want my lil' brother running around Iraq, getting shot at, dealing with suicide bombers, steppind on IEDs, his mind going bad from seeing all kinds of unnecessary ish...

I just thought his life was worth more than that.


I wasn't as distraught as I was when he first went in. I blogged about that awhile back. Seeing him get on that bus to ship out to his basic training... damn, that has to be one of the top ten most terrible feelings I've ever felt in my life.

It took me a very long time to accept the fact that I was not a failure. I thought I had failed him, to the point where he had to go join the military. If only I could have done the right things, made more money... he wouldn't have to make such a decision.

I kind of eventually knew and accepted that it wasn't about me...

It was more of about him doing some things for himself, making his own decisions...

It ain't about him doing what I want him to do, but more about him doing what he has made a decision to do for himself.

I am not sure if that sounds silly or not. But this is the only way that I could mentally deal with him going into the army. This is the only way that I could bring myself to support his decision.

I told him, under no circumstances should he call home whining about he is tired of the army. I told him, if they send his ass to Iraq, he better fight for his life, shoot first, and ask questions later. He needs to do whatever he needs to do to stay alive. Do what he gotta do, and get his butt back over here to the US where he belongs.

It turns out that he had a long talk with my neighbor Stan about it, who eventually convinced me that Kari had been thinking on it for awhile... He needed to make his own decisions, and get away from friends who weren't about anything, etc. I felt a little better after that talk. It helped me get to a point to where I would try to at least be a bit more supportive.... A bit more gleeful about his decision...

He needed to lose 5 pounds to make weight for processing. I did all I could to be supportive of him, like go with him to the track, and follow behind him in my car while he ran from the track all the way home... I made sure to spend as much time as possible with him. The two weeks before he left were a lot of fun...

Usually when he gets ready to go on some military training, I try to take pictures of him. I took pictures this time and then walked away back into the house. He called after me, but I didn't turn back around, just headed up the front steps of my porch and into the house.

I did not want him to see me cry. I must've cried for a good hour.

It hurts whenever he leaves.

We have been in contact, and I can freely pick up my phone and call him on his cell phone. He is stationed in Fort Benning, only a hundred miles away, so he comes home on the weekends. Best of all, he has been assigned to a nondeployable garrison unit. So I am very happy about that.

My biggest thing right now is to do my best to support him. I don't have to agree with him, but I think we can disagree in an agreeable manner...

...And still have love for one another.

So Kari? a.k.a., "Milk and Cookies"...





I hope your army experience is all that you hope for it to be...



Remember that I love you... you are like my child...



Be safe, and take care of yourself out there:)

Love, your big sista

Lisa,

a.k.a., That Oldgirl LadyLee...

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:52:00 PM

    Ahh.... LadyLee is an old softie.

    You've regaled us with Milk-n-Cookie stories for the last year. And we've grown fond of him.

    So listen to Stan and thank God his assignment is not deployable.

    Go ahead and tear up, Ms. LadyLee. We're tearing up with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwweeee. You were making me sad. But let that boy go on out and get my benefits.. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:41:00 AM

    I understand your hurt on so many levls. You are more than just his sister--you've been a parent to him so it's as if yor baby is going off to things that you would not choose for him yet you have to let him go. Girl, I don't know how I am going to let go of my own so I feel you. That non-deployable unit must be an answered prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LMAO @ Serenity! Yeah, let him do his thing. It's okay to not agree with it, but he definitely needs that support.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:09:00 AM

    Oldgirl,
    I have been thinking about your first post on this issue ever since about three weeks ago. My brother in-law, who did a tour in Iraq and had returned safe and sound and got his butt out, but had to remain on the reserve list was REACTIVATED!! When my sister called me, I cried my eyes out! It was like the wind was knocked out of me, and I don't even know him that well. It was like he received a death sentence. I didn't know what to do buy cry. My sister has been waiting for him to fulfill his commitments for almost ten years now and they had just moved to a place where they loved and were moving forward with life's stuff like looking for a house and finding him a job doing something he likes, and then WHAMO! Out of the blue came a letter from Uncle Sam. That was three weeks ago and he shipped out today. My sister was ok, but he will be sateside for training, then make his second tour. I can only pray for his safe return. If Georgia has any House or Senate races, you better get your butt over to the voting both and help! That is the only way we can get them home or at least put balance back in the government to make it safer if they can. I pray Dakari never has to go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Anonymous...

    Trust me, i know how you feel. I felt this way when he first decided to go into the military. I was sick and crying. But now, I have sat him down, and let him know that it was his choice. He didn't have to do this. He chose to, in the midst of everything that is going on over there in Iraq. I made sure he knew this wasn't a video game, where he could hit reset if he got hurt. This was real. So I take my hands off of it, pray that God takes care of him, and I keep it moving...

    I think you are right about the voting booth. We all know right about now that the folks in charged have totally screwed up!

    Let's be sure to keep your brother-in-law in prayer, that he will return the way he left.

    Don't know who you are, but thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2:18:00 PM

    Oldgirl,
    It's me, oldgirl #2. My brother in-law is the one who was reactivated. I thought you would recognize me. Sorry if I was too anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Oldgirl #2

    I thought, dang this sounds like oldgirl #2, but you always leave Oldgirl #2 as your signature... so I thought you would come back and let me know if it was you! (Misss you, girl!)

    Man, I thought your brother-in-law was OUT of the ARMY!!!! Jesus. Let's just pray for his safe return, girl...I hate how this war is affecting so many families.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LadyLee,
    I feel you . . . on so many different levels. My own lil brother served in Desert Storm. I never will forget him phoning me at 5 in the morning to tell me he was leaving the States in a couple of hours and that he'd already written out his
    will . . . It was sobering, to say the least. And to tell you the truth, it's never easy, no matter how many times you go through it.

    My father had a military career. He spent over 25 yrs in the Air Force. While I don't actually recall him leaving for Vietnam, I do remember his absence. We all felt it--my mom, perhaps most of all. But being at at the airport the day of my father's return from 'Nam is what I remember best. If I close my eyes, I can still see the look of joy and relief on my mother's face when my dad (doing his cool brother-man strut) first bebopped into view.

    If it helps any, think of your love for your brother as part of his armor. And should he, in fact, be deployed into the middle of that madness, without a doubt, your love is what will shield, sustain and bring him peace in times of peril. Lori D.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!