Friday, September 22, 2006

Viv's Old School Mixtapes...

Something quite funny happened last month...

So I make some CDs for one of my bookclub sistas to take on a trip to Hawaii ("The Kat's Mixtapes"). I gave them to her at our journal writing club meeting. She was a bit excited. My book club president Shunda looked through the CDs and decided that she wanted some too. Well, I made her some.

Then, an email went out to the journal writing group... something to the effect of...

"[Ladylee] makes the bomb CDs!! I think she is taking orders!!"

*Crickets*

Man, me and a coworker got a GOOD howl out of that one! Hilarious. I'd been put on BLAST!

Now, I've only been in my book club for a year. These ladies have been hanging HARD for years. I am the Newbie of the bunch, and it don't help that I am uncharacteristically quiet (Imagine that... a "quiet" LadyLee! LOL!). Heck, these ladies drop so much doggone knowledge that I just need to be quiet and soak it all up...

Can't talk much, you see. I might just miss something important!!

But I love the fact that they do treat my introverted hermit ass like one of the crew!

So I wasn't particularly concerned about that email, and I got a good laugh out of it. (In fact, it made my week!). If there is one thing I know about human nature, it is that people are a bit apprehensive about approaching someone that they don't really know about something like this email, meaning that out of the 15-20 sistas in the journal writing group, maybe 5 will ask for a CD or two.

And that is exactly what happened... and I am all too happy to accomodate the requests:)

One of those ladies is Viv. She happens to live less than a mile from me, and we share a ride to meetings from time to time. I rode with her to the last meeting in her plush SUV and she was playing some ol' John Legend and some other neo-soul "touchy-feely" ish... Man oh man, I was sleepy as hell riding in the nice ride with the soft sounds all around me.

*LadyLee busy looking around for a pillow and blanket so she can curl up and go to sleep*

*LadyLee pondering HARD on the issha of going somewhere and test driving an SUV real real soon*

I was so relaxed and at ease after getting out of her truck... made me want to go somewhere and buy some ol' slow soothing neo-soul AND a phat truck.

So when I got an email from her, in response to the email that put me on blast, saying...

"So [Ladylee], you don't have the old/first EPMD?, I like the classic rap stuff too:)"




I was like... "Hunh????"

After all that neo-soul!!?? How did we jump from neo-soul to classic rap??? WOW...

Hellll yeah, I got some classic rap!! I even had a little of that old EPMD too!!!

Now Viv... that's my type of gal right there!!

So Viv, you already have 2 of these CDs... The last one? I will give to you at the book club meeting...

Enjoy:)


VIV’S OLD SCHOOL MIX I

Jam Master Jay - Run DMC
You’re a customer - EPMD
Fat Boys - Fat Boys
Jam On It – Newcleus
Strictly Business – EPMD
Five Minutes of Funk – Whodini
Rock the Bells – LL Cool J
Rockit – Herbie Hancock
Do the Pee Wee Herman
Beat Box – Art of Noise
AJ Scratch –Kurtis Blow
Hard Times – Run DMC
I’ll Take your Man – Salt N Peppa
Peter Piper – Run DMC
He’s BizMarkie – Biz Markie




VIV’S OLD SCHOOL MIX II

The Show-Dougie Fresh
Roxanne Roxanne- UTFO
Roxanne’s Revenge-Roxanne Shante
Can You Feel it-Fat boys
Push the Button (Computer Age)-Newcleus
Paper Thin-MC Lyte
It’s Like That- Run DMC
Hardcore Hip Hop – Mantronix
I Need a Beat- LL Cool J
The overweight Lover-Heavy D and the boys
Planet Rock-Afrikan Bambatta and the Soul Sonic Force
Leader of the Pack – UTFO
Apache- Sugar Hill Gang
Make the music with your mouth- Biz Markie.



VIV’S OLD SCHOOL MIX III

Rappers Delight- Sugarhill Gang
It’s my thing-EPMD
King Of Rock- Run DMC

Five Minutes of Funk-Whodini
Paid in Full (remix)- Eric B and Rakim
Funky Beat-Whodini
The Message-Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five
Eric B for President- Rakim and Eric B
Freaks Come Out at Night
They Reminisce over You-Pete Rock and C.L. Smooth
One Love-Whodini
Rock Box- Run DMC
Big Mouth-Whodini
The Request Line- Rockmaster Scott

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:03:00 PM

    Ah.... the 80's

    Head back, thinking about High School dances, getting my license, pre-Freshman summer session at UCLA, UC Davis Black family picnics....

    ;-)Nice ride down memory lane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:52:00 PM

    OMG!! LadyLee put a sister on blast!
    Now THAT is cool:) 70's Grady baby yall.
    Thanks for the CDs they "are" the bomb. Ask anyone that's had a ride with me lately.
    V

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zachariah2:31:00 PM

    It cannot have effect in reality, that is what I think.
    florida rental homes | car vinyl decals | traveling to cuba

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!