Monday, September 04, 2006

My Vida Loca!! (Part II)

This post is part of a series. For part I, see My Vida Loca! (Part I)

So I lost my wallet...

In the hood, where I live...

My neighbor, the Infamous Hen-Dog said, "You know, you didn't lose it on our street. It must've fell off the trunk of your car on that turn up on Capital Avenue. Because if you lost it on our street, the crackheads would've brought it back, but they would have wanted some money for finding it."

I nodded when he said that. We do have very loyal crackheads. But Hen-Dog's commentary didn't make me feel much better.

I was still bumming...

But I had to be proactive.

So that Tuesday, the 29th, I took the morning off from work and went to the DMV to get a driver's licensce. I didn't get there at nine o'clock a.m. like I planned though. Yeah, I was on my way, but some ten miles from home, I had a thought:

Did I let the garage door down when I left home that morning?

So my newly paranoid ass turned back around and sped back home. Sure enough, I'd let the garage door down. Didn't hurt to go back and check, though.

My trip to the Union City DMV was uneventful, and it took about an hour to get my license. I sat there during that time reading a book and pecking away on my laptop, making a few corrections to my manuscript. I left and went to Wal-mart, buying a new wallet along with a few other things. On my way to work, I dropped off a few mix CDs to my book club president.

Then I went to work. I should've went home, because I hate working half-days. I don't get anything done... I chalked it up as a socializing day.

Well, on my way home, I stopped by a downtown grocery store to get some chicken. I wanted some sauteed chicken to go over my salad, and they had a sale.

So I leave the grocery store and speed on down the road... Traffic is a bit heavy. You know how downtown Atlanta traffic is.

I've got my music crunk, bobbing my head hard to one of The Kat's mixtapes, singing down.

I make a turn onto Courtland Street from North Avenue.

I thougt to myself, "Damn, this road feel a little crunchy."

I kept driving. I said aloud "I don't remember them doing any construction on the road. Why is it feeling gravelly and crunchy?"

I sat in traffic that had accumulated.

When I tried to move again, I realized... The road ain't crunchy.

My tire had blew out. And the way things sounded, I was riding on rim!!





"Dang!" I yelled.

I tried to pull over to the side of the road, in the midst of angry ATLiens hurriedly trying to get home. I almost got hit by a big ass SUV when I pulled into his lane. He flipped me off and said some terrible words.

"You'll be alright!" I yelled as he went around me.

I sat there in my car, on the side of the road, waiting for traffic to quiet down. I looked in the rear view mirror and saw a throng of cars stopped behind me at a stoplight... The road was clear, so I hopped out of my car. I ran around to the passenger side and sure enough, my tire was flat, all the way down to the rim.

I wanted to scream.

You see, my AAA card was in my wallet... the wallet I'd lost, that is.

I wanted to cry!

Okay... so I am standing there, staring down at the dead tire, trying to think... Trying to think of who to call and what to do.

And who jumps out of nowhere?

A freakin' CRACKHEAD!!!!

He scared the hell out of me!!

I gasped. I had no idea WHERE he'd come from... It was like he'd jumped out of the bushes or something. He smelled like he'd jumped out of a trash can. I stepped back, away from the thick cloud of funk he produced.

"What's up baby?" he yelled, arms stretched out like he was about to give me a hug or something.

I looked him up and down. He was tall, dark as midnight, thin as a rail. He was a young dude, dressed in an oversized black t-shirt, baggy pants with the one pants leg rolled up (LL Cool J style) and a pair of dirty Timberland boots. He looked like a dirty crunchy black brokedown version of the Mayor of my hood, the cleanest crackhead in the world, Snake.


(Sidenote: Snake has been locked up all summer long. I miss him sooooo much!!)

"Baby, you got a flat tire," he declared.

"Uh, yeah," I said, still looking him up and down...

...Wondering silent to myself where my blade was, just in case I had to shank this fool.

"Well, you got a spare?" he asked when I didn't say anything else.

"Uh, yeah," I said quietly.

"Well let's get this tire changed, baby!" he yelled, rubbing his hands together.

We walked around to my trunk, and I opened it, quickly surveying the contents to see if I had anything worth stealing in it. My laptop and bookbag were in there. I quickly grabbed up both.

I also grabbed a long screwdriver. My homeboy Tiny must've left it in my car when he was changing out my speakers (an upcoming post).

I threw the bags in the backseat, and the screwdriver in the door panel of the drivers side.

...I would need it, just in case I needed to shank this crackhead.

He pulled the spare tire out, and even found a jack and tools that I didn't even know that I had.

"Damn baby, you got a lot of money in this trunk," he yelled as he scavenged pennies from the floor of my trunk.

That pissed me off. (Where is my screwdriver?)

"Uh, yeah," I said. "Yo bruh, cut that out, man," I said quietly.

He laughed and removed the spare tire from the floor of my trunk. He jacked up the car and commenced to removing the lug nuts. While he did this, I had to hear curse ladened tales of his encounters with the police, his kids, and about the shelter somewhere down the street.

(Why is it that dudes I don't know and don't want to know tend to get diarrhea of the mouth and tell me ALLL of their business? Dang!)

He caught me looking at him and smiled. I stepped back in disgust. I wasn't scoping him out, I looking at his hair. He had that good hair, and it wasn't from a kit. I was looking at him, wondering how a man as black as asphalt could have hair that damn curly. I was in NO way checking him out.

It was NOT that kind of party.

One of the lug nuts would not come off... So he begins jump up and down wildly on the thing he was using to remove the lug nuts. His antics worked, a bit too well. The lug nut came off, along with a piece of the stud.

We both yelled "DAMN!!"

I looked at him, wishing that I had the screwdriver in my hand...

So I could shank him...

We stood there a minute looking at the tire. I walked a few feet away and picked up the lug nut containing a piece of the stud off of the ground. I bounced the hot lug nut around in my hand, and blew the dirt off of it.

"I'm sorry, baby," he apologized.

I was pissed off. I waved my finger in the direction of the tire. "Dude, I can ride off of three studs. Put the spare tire on," I suggested.

He just looked at me.

"Shorty, come on! Put it on!" He needed to hurry up before I had more thoughts of running to get that screwdriver!

He pulled off my tire, and rolled it to me. It was a dead tire alright, wires and threads poking all out... I hadn't had them checked this year. It was definitely time for a new set or something.

He put on the spare tire, and let the jack down.

The spare tire was flat.

"Let me put all this stuff in the trunk, then we will roll to the gas station and get some air for the spare, baby," he said.

Okay. I didn't know of a gas station downtown, but he said it was around the corner. Traffic was thick, so I thought if he tried anything, I could shank him with the screwdriver, and toss his ass out of my car into a ditch or something...

We got in the car. I let ALL of the windows down because of the high amount of funk emitting from this dude. He saw some change in my cupholder and began scavenging it. Didn't matter to me, because it was some sticky change that had been sitting there after some peppermint melted in the cupholder. He could have that damn 8 cents if he could pull it out for all I care. He started looking around on the floor.

"Uh, what are you doing?" I asked.

"Baby, you sure do have a lot of change laying around!"

Luckily, there was a gas station on the next block. He jumped out and put air in all of my tires.

"Thank you," I said, and gave him 5 dollars.

He stared at me.

"What, man?" I asked.

"I need a ride," he said. "Just down the steet to Auburn Avenue."

He jumped back in the car before I could say anything... I turned on the street and headed towards Auburn.

Then he asked a question.

"Baby, you got a man?"

I almost screamed in utter disgust. "Yes. Several," I said.

"Oh, OK, just checking," he said. He then went on to talk about his sexual prowess, which was a bit hilarious.

I had the screwdriver in my left hand, out of sight...

Just in case I had to shank this fool.

I let him out 2 blocks down from the gas station. He leaned back down into the car, still trying to run game.

"They call me Lye-Lye. And if you need anything at all, anything, some loving, your tires changed, anything at all, you come look for me, ok baby?"

"Oh, of course,"
I said with a smile, trying my BEST not to break out laughing.

I sat at a stoplight and watched him march across the street, counting his dollars and scavenged change...

I let go of my screwdriver, glad I didn't have to shank that fool.

Mad because of the sweat and funk he left on my cloth passenger seat.

I drove the 3 miles to my house and parked the car in the garage, careful to leave all the windows down so that the funk could dissipate.

I walked into the garage later in the evening and discovered the funk was now thick in my garage. I grabbed a spray bottle of Febreeze and soaked the seat with half the bottle.

I had my tire changed and stud replaced down the street from my house on Friday at a bootleg tire place. Hen-Dog and I pass the tire place everyday on the way to work, and I never saw it until he pointed it out to me last Thursday.

Now, getting a new tire(s) is a whole 'nother piece of drama in my week. I won't go into it... Let's just say, despite my LOUD protests, the mechanics made me go get my own studs, lug nuts and brakes... (yeah i said it, brakes... I needed new brakes). If that ain't bootleg, I don't know what is.

And you know how old men like to flirt.

Um... Let's just say it took a LOT of talking to get the work done on my tire... LOL!!

I also had MORE drama... I have an ongoing autoimmune disorder, and I got a call from my doctor about some blood tests on my last doctor's visit. She made some suggestions that I was NOT happy about... She wanted me to double up on my meds. I almost opened my Book of Cuss and was one step from cussing her out. I will not go into it here. (My girls know what's up). I will just be mature, do what she says, and call it a day...

I could not understand how I could get hit with so much crap in one week...

But something else happened last week...

Something remarkable...

Something that I would NEVER have imagined in a MILLION years...

All the drama I went through all week?

This, BY FAR, canceled all of that out... BY FAR!!!!!

Stay tuned for "My Vida Loca! (Part III)

11 comments:

  1. I'm so mad at you for this post. #1- That man is so dark and you're trying to figure out how he has that type hair. Maybe he's "Exotic." #2- WHen he asked you if you had a man and you said "several", that was the best answer. I'm gonna have to use that one in the future.. We're waiting on Part III. Oh and Snake is not the cleanest crackhead I know, YOU are.. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @that Baby Oldgirl Serenity23...

    Lee doing a HARD 2 fanger Color Purple point @Serenity!

    Girl, that man was black as black smoke at midnight in the middle of a power failure... and his hair was super curly, no S-curl, no jheri curl, nothing...

    He ain't no exotic. I didn't know what he was, and I wasn't gonna ask!!! Bad enough he thought I was checking him out! EWWW!

    yeah, "several" is a good answer; it threw him for a loop. Never say you're not married - that leads into a whole bunch of other questions... This also worked for the old men at the tire shop. But I still had to stand there and talk to them jokers and feign interest in their life stories... EWW!!

    And you just love calling me a crackhead, chickenhead, etc... you have your fun, Baby Oldgirl...

    You know what I always say...

    Hirsh Honey...You'll be alright:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:50:00 PM

    There are some good jokes here, but I'm going to leave them alone.

    You'd better stop trying to cuss the dr out and follow instructions Ms Ladylee! Your public awaits your posts and your manuscript!!! Don't mess with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Sherri aka Ms.blackliterature.com...

    Is that you Celie?

    Have you been... LURKING around over here?

    Where have you been? And why are you running up on me with that BELT!?

    *Lee rubbing her back after being spanked hard with Sherri's big belt*

    Put the belt away, Sherri, PLEASE!

    LOL LOL LOL LOL

    Awww Ms. Blacklit... it's all good. Doc just pissed me off. She knows I don't like taking my meds... don't have me doubling up. The side effects are HELLACIOUS! She went off on me in her own indian language a couple of months ago... I don't know what she was saying, but it wasn't too nice...

    You know me... i just wanted a little get back... just to get a little ebonic on her... just one good time...

    But I made her a promise to do what she says... and I will begrudgingly stick to that to a tee...

    Really though.

    Be sure to come back for part III. You being a black lit fan, a fan of GOOD literature are going to pass out when you read what happened to me... (You may know already if you been reading elsewhere, but come back, because I have much much more to say than the other person had to say... She gave such a sweet version...)

    And you KNOW how I do... i tell it ALL!!!

    LOL LOL LOL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dang girl ... did you really want to shank him???

    That mess was too funny. I'm proud of you though for having that screwdriver handy. Definitely an OG move. How'd you learn how to handle the crackheads?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and crackheads I swear!

    *Sidenote: Snake has been locked up all summer long. I miss him sooooo much!!)

    What in the hell?....and checking out another one's coif?

    I need to strap you down and make you watch Chris Rock shudder over a pipe in New Jack City!

    Tis the season for car trouble...hmmm you a couple of weeks behind me LOL...

    But I tell you....one more hanger young lady and I'm throwing you over a cliff! With your Kat mixtapes LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a funny post....the funky, helpful crackhead, who wanted to make a love connection after fixing your tire. To funky I mean funny.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ that Original Oldgirl Chele...

    Yes... Some "shanktification" would've went down. If he would've touched me he was going to catch a screwdriver straight in the gut, and get dumped in a dark back alley somewhere...

    I was having a JACKED UP week, man... I think he knew not to try me!

    **Reminder to self: make sure I locate the blade I usually keep in the driver side door of my car.

    @My personal DJ, the DJ Diva aka "Kizzie"

    If only you could have seen this dude, DJ... I ran and got my camera, but the battery was dead... No one that black could have good hair. I wanted to ask him what was up with that, but dude was already thinking I was admiring him or something (ugggH! the HORROR!)

    Crackheads seem to be drawn to me... I need to go somewhere and quietly ponder the reasons for that.

    You wouldn't throw me off the cliff would you DJ??? LOL!! Yeah, you would... you are a bit off the chain like that, you Native New Yorker...

    And I need to talk to you about some virtual turntables... I'll see you on the email thread...

    @Rose...

    This dude actually thought he was going to get some play from me... I am still in COMPLETE awe of that... geez.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No you didn't leave us with a cliffhanger! LOL Girl, I'm week at..."he begins jump up and down wildly on the thing he was using to remove the lug nuts." You don't know what that is?? I'm SHOCKED!! :-)What's up with you and crackheads? You need to see this excerpt of "Crackheads Gone Wild". It was at the end of one of my mom's bootleg DVDs. LMAOO..but I digress...Girl, you were just having all kinds of drama. Having to get your own lugs, nuts, AND brakes? That's some ghetto shyt right there! They couldn't do that for you? I'm truly anticipating part III.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Kayla... I've been meaning to check out "crackheads gone wild". I may recognize some of the folks, lol!!!

    And what is that thing that is used to remove the lug nuts?? I can't remember!!

    And that was just WRONG for them to make me go get my own auto parts. I HATE standing in line at the bootleg neighborhood auto parts store. Then I had to go back for them to do a little more stuff. Pissed me off... I was NOT happy... Uggh...

    Sorry for so many parts. This could have EASILY been a 10 part post. It was a crazy week! You know how Looonng winded I am!!

    2 more parts coming your way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Goodness, there is a lot of worthwhile info above!
    this site

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!