No, no, NOOOOO! I'm not talking about that cat! Not my cat Oscar-Tyrone.
He always has that look that says...
"I can't stand dealing with you awful trifling negroes!"
Not him. I would NEVER make his little prejudice behind a mixtape!
No I am talking about one of my book club sisters, "Kat".
"Kat" is one of my book club sisters... She is the ultimate guru, who's about to turn 50, and she just won a 10 day all expenses paid trip to Hawaii, for being the best doggone employee on the planet...
Now that's a prize, ya'll.
Well anyway, Kat walked up to me at Saturday's book club meeting over at the Mechanicsville Library near downtown Atlanta, and says that she saw something on my blog about some tapes.
"The Librarian Mixtapes?" I asked, just shocked that she walked over and said something to me...
You gotta understand, this woman is like "Walking Wisdom" or something. Every word she speaks is profound and completely off the charts!! It took me a minute to fully decipher what she was saying. I just knew there was a metaphor, a key to life, an answer to some deep probing question, a solution to some world problem, a much needed piece of scripture, something in what she had said to me...
You gotta understand, when Kat speaks, we ALL catch a freakin' crook in our necks trying to hear what she's trying to say!
No, she was just commenting on my blog post and the songs on those Librarian's CDs...
"You want me to make you some CDs, Kat?"
"Sure!" she said.
Well, I had to think REAL long and REAL hard about what songs to actually give her. I now have over 144 hours worth of music on my laptop, and it will be hard to narrow down all of that to 50 songs. I will most definitely supply her with copies of the The Librarian Mixtapes, that's for sure. But I knew I wanted to make her something extra special for her trip. I knew one thing: there had better be some positive songs on those CDs, since she's always on the positive tip. I've never made a Disco CD before, and I wanted to give her something that would remind her of her Afro sportin', bell-bottom kickin' days.
And you know, she is going to Hawaii with her husband, her boo...
You know she gotta have some slow romantic ish!!!
So these CD's are for you, Kat! Got you a nice little carrying case and er'thang!!
I'm also throwing in a best of Luther mixtape, and a best of the O'Jays mixtape... And I am trying to negotiate with Cowgirl Cre right now for her to bring all of her Stevie Wonder CDs in... so we can get a best of Stevie Wonder CD together...
That should get you straight through that looooong plane ride.
It's the least I can do. You truly inspire me...
Really, you do.
Enjoy!! And I will get these to you at the Journal writing meeting on Sunday!
The Positive and Mellow Kat!
1. People Make the World Go Round - The Stylistics
2. That's the Way of the World - Earth, Wind, and Fire
3. Everlasting Love - Rufus and Chaka Khan
4. Keep your head up- Chaka Khan
5. Keep Your Head - Mary J. Blige
6. Keep on Moving - Soul II Soul
7. Now that we Found Love - The O'Jays.
8. Ain't Nobody - Chaka Khan
9. Let's Stay Together - Tina Turner
10. Outstanding - The Gap Band
11. I'll be Good - Rene and Angela
12. Come into My Life - Joyce Sims
13. Ascension (Remix) - Maxwell
14. Sign Your Name Across My Heart - Terrence Trent D'Arby
15. Theme from Mahoghany - Diana Ross
16. Holding Back the Years - Simply Red
17. Many Rivers to Cross - Oleta Adams.
Disco Kat on the Dance Floor!!
1. Boogie Wonderland - Earth, Wind, and Fire/The Emotions
2. Don't Leave me this way - Thelma Houston
3. He's the Greatest Dancer - Sister Sledge
4. Disco Nights - GQ
5. Knock on Wood - Amy Stewart
6. Push Push in the Bush - Musique
7. You make me feel Mighty Real - Sylvester
8. Fly Robin Fly - Silver Convention
9. I will Survive - Gloria Gaynor
10. The Groove Line - Heat Wave
11. Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now - McFadden and Whitehead
12. Car Wash - Rolls Royce
13. Thank you (Falletin me Be Mice Elf Agin) - Sly and the Family Stone
14. Disco Inferno - The Tramps
15. Last Dance - Donna Summer
16. Got to Give it up - Marvin Gaye
17. Theme from Shaft - Isaac Hayes
The Slow Moving Kat...
1. A Dream - Debarge
2. My Funny Valentine - Chaka Khan
3. Betcha By Golly Wow - Phyllis Hyman
4. There you Go- Johnny Gill
5. I want you - Marvin Gaye
6. The Beautiful Ones - Prince
7. Promises Promises - Christopher Williams
8. Do you still love me - Me'Lisa Morgan
9. Love under new management - Miki Howard
10. Wishing on a Star- Rolls Royce
11. Is it Good to you -
12. Your smile - Rene and Angela
13. Love don't live here anymore - Rolls Royce
14. Reasons - Earth Wind and Fire
15. Distant Lover (Live) - Marvin Gaye