Thursday, May 30, 2013

A Time to Crochet

So...

If you have been following Aretha, aka, Mrs. Bliss' blog for the last few months, then you will have had the pleasure of walking along on her journey through the interesting world of in vitro fertiliztion.

It definitely appeals to the the scientific part of me because one never thinks about these things and the amazing things that technology can do. I was just thankful to read about it all.

And I've been working on a new blanket for her. I posted the other blanket in this post, along with a picture of the embryos (yes, they are up on my refrigerator door. Honestly, how often do you even get to see something remarkable like that. Alas, it goes up on the wall, the door... up on something).

So I've been on a blanket making campaign. I remember when she announced that they were doing in vitro. I immediately thought "Oh great. Here comes the multiples. Better finish this one, and go on to the next. Lickety-split.

This is what I call a "high class" problem. It is a good one to have.

She is pregnant with twins now. So yes, more than one blanket to be made! GLORY!

Right now, since I don't know what the sex of the babies are, I am making unisex blankets. I will most likely make some more when I know what she is having. But right now, I am making a green and white ripple blanket. I want to make something similar to what I made for my nephew Tristan, aka Milk and Cookies 3.0.

I really like this blanket. It is nice, and it is a fast crochet project.


Unfortunately, since I don't know the sex of the babies, I can't make a sex specific blanket.

So I am making something similar.

I love how blankets start out...
A single chain, crocheted loosely.

It must be crocheted loosely because I must start the first ripples by working my needle into the loose chain links. If it's too tight, I end up fighting with it.
I worked on that while sitting with Grandma at the hospital.

I got pretty far. 5 rows in.
And then I added in a couple of rows of white.

And now adding back in the green again.
I do believe I will be on that green for around 70 rows or so before adding the white stripes again.

It will be awhile before I do that.

As for now, we are hanging with the green for awhile!
So this is where I am after 5 days.

That is really far in a few days. I usually crochet a bit slower than that.

It is so far along that I can bunch it and pose it a little, lol.

If you look closely at the picture above, you will see my unused yarn. I began to ran out of yarn, so I did a Wal-mart run after my doctor's appointment a couple of days ago and happened upon some more green. It is not the same dye lot, but I can't tell the difference (usually one overbuys yarn for a project, and each yarn skein should have the same dye lot, i.e, lot# to show it all came off the same run off the production line. That way, there are no subtle changes in color. But this looks just fine). I should easily be finished with that by the end of June at the latest. Then I will just store it away with the other... and then work on another.

I would be further along but I had to scrap the last try (I was 4 hours in), because it was a bit tight at the bottom. I have to get the bottom row right because it sets the tone for the remaining rows. That bottom row has to be nice and pliable.

It takes about 20 minutes a row. So so far, I've spent close to 10 hours on it. I usually spend 30 to 35 hours on a baby blanket, so I am about 25-30% done. Not gonna rush it. Like I said, I will be easily done by the end of June.

The babies aren't due until January. So I have plenty of time, you know!?

So it has been therapeutic, and it is helping me to relax since I have much on my mind.

And that's a good thing, isn't it?

6 comments:

  1. You crochet fast. Beautiful blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not crocheted since December and it was a very simple scarf I made. I am not as advanced as you are. My focus off and I don't have the patience to do designs. I have seen a few things I would like to do though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *crickets*

      I am NOT advanced. I wish I could make hats and baby booties... NOT gonna happen. Only blankets!

      And it is not a patience issue. I do it while I watch tv or something. So get back on it, honey! Make another simple scarf:)

      Delete
  3. I have a new blog to read now!! YAY!! LOL! The blankets are gorgeous by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I love the colors and pattern. Like someone else said, you are fast. Thanks soooo much again. Those will be their favorite blankets :)

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!