Sunday, September 11, 2022

21 Years Later

It has been 21 years since the worst terrorist attack on American soil.

 

That is a long time ago, but right now, I am watching a special on the National Geographic Channel, and it sure is bringing back some memories, making if feel like it happened yesterday. 

 All I know, one thing is a constant when I think of the events of 911. And that is, I continue to be SHOCKED that this type of craziness does not happen often in the USA. We have had terrorist activity since then, but not on this scale. I am thankful for that, because I don't think we as a country could mentally handle it. I know I couldn't. 

 But it is one of those days where we all remember where we were and what we were doing. I have been on my current job for 21 years now, but back then, I had only been on the job for three weeks. I was at a regulatory course in Denver at the time. I was stunned and momentarily confused about how I would get home. I got home later that week, on a Friday. My plane had been delayed by close to two hours. I remember other coworkers who were headed home to New York had worse delays. 

But my prayer was to get back home to Atlanta, period. And I did. But I do remember the sense of uneasiness I had for a couple of days before taking my flight that Sunday, September 9th, 2001, to the training from Atlanta to Denver. I have not felt that type of uneasiness since, just some unexplainable uneasiness. And then when the tragedy happened, I remember saying aloud... that's what it is. That's why I have been beside myself. 

My Pastor mentioned these feelings some two weeks later. It was a hard unsettling in the spirit. I was glad to have it explained. So if I feel that away again, I know what it means. And I must say, I don't want to ever feel that way again. Ever.

But now I just take time to think about it. 

21 years later now. 

And the hard lesson I have learned is that not only what happened that day was such an awful tragedy, but the residual effects of the tragedy are devastating in their own right. So many families who lost loved ones were changed forever, the emotional loss still felt 'til this present day. I know the wounds are still fresh. Will they ever heal?

I whisper a prayer for them. 

And I pray for our country. 

As we take time to remember this day. 

1 comment:

  1. Merry Christmas Ladylee, I pray all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!