Thursday, June 01, 2006

'Que it up! 'Que it up! Paint it Up, Now!

Dedicated to Sharon, Ms. Just Write Now, since I missed the party of the year at her house...

*LadyLee still wailing and crying because she couldn't go*

This Memorial day weekend, I did the darn thing... I pulled the grill out of the garage and into the driveway (I don't have a deck, ya'll), and I did a little grilling.

Now I know you all know about this...




I have taken to grilling some andouille sausage (can't shake old New Orleans habits) and italian sausage. I rarely throw ribs on the grill, but I figure I can freeze some of it and eat it on fourth of July.

But for some reason in the past couple of years, I have been grilling a lot of shrimp. (And if I find a good shrimp sale? Watch out now!!)



Now those shrimp were marinated in a chipotle pepper marinade, and they came out very nice and spicy.

But I got the bright idea to make up a thick basil marinade for some "green" shrimp. Yeah, they were good, but um... I need to work on that marinade a little bit more, maybe sweeten it up a little. They didn't have much of a kick or distinctive taste, but they looked pretty good!



But I bet ya'll don't know about THIS~



Barbequed crab legs, baby!!

Nope, I didn't cook all this food for myself. I packed the majority up and took it over to my Auntie J's house. I also snapped some green beans the night before and cooked those up with some small red potatoes very early on Memorial Day morning (gotta have my veggies, mayne!).

So needless to say, we had a good time. My relatives especially loved the 'qued up seafood.

I talked with my Auntie for awhile. She is an artist, a real artsy type, occasionally doing a little oil painting and drawing. She brought out a nice oil painting of a flower that she did in only a day.



She has been itching to do a nice oil painting to go over my fireplace, and has been talking about various ideas. I, of course, am of no help in this process...

"Auntie, you can paint the Tide detergent box Logo or the Arm and Hammer logo if you want! I will still hang it on the wall!"

This makes her cringe... She, like my sister, is such a Diva...

But that is the gist of my Memorial Day. I didn't go to work the next day because of a hellacious sore throat (probably aggravated by all that barbeque smoke. Ugggh!), so that was a downside.

But just thought you may have wanted to see what I got into... Enjoy!

14 comments:

  1. You had a good time! Shoot...I stayed home and read and later went to church.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crabs legs? i would have had to pass on those...I hate to fight with my food...

    The painting is so lovely....can I have one when I move to Memphis?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Chosen...

    What are you talking about? What you did for Memorial Day sounds like a good time to me!!!

    Really though...

    @ That Oracle (DJ DIVA)...

    "I hate to fight with my food..."

    Humph... why I declare...

    you such a freakin' Diva...

    As for getting a painting, you would have to talk to my Auntie about that one... she did that one in one day... I think she should paint a whole mess of them and sell them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn... I would be on day one of my fast and come to your blog and see this...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The food looks great. And the only thing better than crab legs on the grill is lobster. GIRL!!! Talk about a sister hurtin' herself.

    Your Auntie's painting is really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Hassan...

    ~sorry, boo!~

    @BBall Mama...

    Ma,

    Lobster... on the grill.

    *crickets*

    Yo, you gonna have to let me know how to hook that up. Dang! You taking to a whole nother level! You Diva you! LOL!

    Thought you would dig Auntie's pic... I keep telling her how talented she is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. DAMN that food look good. barbequed crab legs? sista i ain't NEVA tried that before. lol

    the scrimps...my mouth was watering at the photos. i'm coming to your house so i can get a decent meal. LOL

    sounds like you had the bomb memorial day weekend. i'm glad you were able to spend it with ya fam. auntie is mad talented, too. does she sell any of her work?

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ATLien Nikki...

    No BBQ crabs before!? What's up with that??

    Holla anytime, we in the same city, man!

    Auntie doesn't sale her pics!! She would make a killing if she did, though!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everytime you post about food I get inspired. I'll have to pull my grill out this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @that OG Chele...

    yo, you were suppose to pull the grill out LAST weekend... LAST weekend, Chele! What's up with that? Anyway, go head on and do the darn thing...and grill some lobster, since bballmom says it's good...

    let me know how that goes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. BAR-B-QUE CRAB LEGS, MAN, IT DON'T GET NO MO HOOD... If you would like, I'll send you my address so you can shrink wrap the shrimp and send them pronto; damn it looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those Shrimp look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Slump...

    Definitely a shrimp man! LOL!

    Dude, I'm waiting for someone to throw some pig ears and pig feet on the grill... Now THAT'S Hood!!

    Can't send shrimp to Oklahoma, Mayne... they gotta be HOT and fresh off the grill!!

    Thanks for stopping by!

    @didi...

    Thanx, girl!

    Thanks for stopping by my spot:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your auntie does beautiful work, sista! All that food looked good! I knew you could cook, but dang, mayne! I'll have to hit you up when I come to ATL!!! Never heard of bbq crab legs, though. They sure did look delicious, though! :-) Glad you enjoyed your weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!