Friday, December 10, 2021

Bingeworthy for the Weekend!

During this pandemic, I have watched a ton of television. ANYTHING to pass the time, I tell ya.

Here are a couple of good movies/series I have enjoyed as of late.

Bruised.
Man, I cannot STAND Halle Berry. I have not liked her since her Boomerang and Jungle Fever days, and that was damn near 30 years ago? I don't like the choices she has made since then. And this is the kicker for me... how are you considered the most desired and beautiful woman in the world and you got all that dysfunctional mess going on? Drives me nuts. 

But Bruised, a fight movie that she starred in and directed was great! I was so shocked, and at the time, so happy for her. This is an MMA movie twisted up with a lot of mental and physical drama. It was dark and grimey, and had me shedding tears at time. Just a great story. She will most definitely get some Oscar nominations out of it. 

Dopesick. 
This series chronicles the progression of the oxycontin crises and gets in depth about how the pharmaceutical company just roped folks in and got them hooked. So good and so sad. Even the gub'ment agency that I work for was quietly implemented in some of this mess. (I don't know if it is true. I do not care. Please gimme my paycheck. Please and thank you).

But it is 10 episodes, I believe, and it is just sad to see folks get hooked on something that they thought would be helpful. I mean, it literally felt like how the poster looks.

But it highlights one thing: white folks get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to their drug addictions. The hand of redemption is extended lovingly. 

But you know it don't go down like that with black folks. You know I am right about that. 

I wonder what that's about. Hmm...

Plus this series takes place in Appalacia, where the poorest Americans in the country reside. Of course this fact is swept under the rug. I just happen to read an article about the depths of Appalachian poverty and it disturbed me deeply. 

I wonder what that's about. Hmmm...

But this series was so good that I watched some episodes twice. 

Almost made me want to throw my meds out for a minute. Ugh.

Harlem.
I tell you one thing: I can't stand anything with tired cliche of a gang of women friends looking for love. It is as if winning the quest of a man solves all problems and they live happily ever after. It is the Cinderella syndrome, it is. Ugh.

But this chick flick series was good. The first couple of episodes were super cliche, but it bust in directions I was not expecting. It detailed the love lives of 4 women who were looking to find themselves in the process. And it looks line there will be several more seasons. And I will be watching. 

So that's my bingeworthy TV for the week. I hope you enjoy them as much as I have! If you haven't watched them, go check them out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!