Thursday, December 02, 2021

Thanksgiving (Pandemic) Meal 2021

So here is a picture of my plate of food for Thanksgiving.
   

Big emphasis on plate of food. Since the pandemic has started, I have spent my holidays alone. So what is the use of cooking a big spread for Thanksgiving? I have gotten to the point that I will go get some food off the hot bar at Whole Foods now around the holiday. I refuse to cook a pot of greens, a pan of macaroni and cheese. Let's just say I am not doing anything that will keep me in the kitchen for too long. So I had some air-fried chicken, smoked sweet potato, green beans, collard greens, mac-n-cheese, and squash (looks like corn above). It was SOOO good. 

Now... I did make a pan of cornbread dressing. 

And that was made with a couple of pieces of cornbread from a local barbeque joint. So it was small, made in an 8 inch pan, and about 1/2 inch in height. Good enough. It was good, but I haven't made it in awhile. It was a light version, I suppose. I used chicken broth instead of cream of chicken/mushroom soup, so it didn't have that "umph" to it. Sigh. But it was my "cheat" for the holidays.

My sister was talking about coming over, because I understand that for whatever reason, she needs to make her rounds. People want to see the baby (Justin), so you know how that goes. She was really wailing hard about just wanting to stay home and have a day to herself, but she ended up going over to her father's house and staying for a hour or two. (This is what is called "showing your face").

I had to tell her that it was okay to want some time to yourself. Don't be afraid to have a low-key day to yourself. School has been stressing her out and she just wanted to sit and just be. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

But I just about panicked when she said she may come my way still. This meant that I would have to share my lone plate of food. No ma'am. 

She didn't come over. 

So I ate my food and watched Soul Train on YouTube all day. And I think I did some writing, well, editing, really. This has become my pandemic holiday ritual, and for some reason it makes me very happy. 

Hopefully we will get back to "normal". Normal for my holidays is hanging all day with my sister and Justin. We cook nontraditional Thanksgiving food. I think we fried fish one year. And when she was away teaching, I spent some holidays alone. I find it best to plan my days to the hilt, and I have to admit that those have been some memorable holidays for me. I am very thankful for that. 

I worry about things going back to "normal". My workgroup is having a holiday party inside, but I freeze up at having to spend time with folks inside a closed space during this time. That seems like I will have to work on that post pandemic, and just not be afraid that I won't catch the virus. 

Ugh. 

I can't wait to get back to those days.  Someday in the future, we will talk about all this. Hopefully it will be a memory long gone. 

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:39:00 PM

    I spent Thanksgiving alone again this year but I did cook a meal. Glad you are doing okay. Cashanamusings

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!