Sunday, July 16, 2006

The Botanical Novice

You may have asketh...

Hark...

What has the Original Oldgirl been up to?

I've been doing a lot of reading... a little writing...

and planting flowers...

Last weekend, I planted some flowers...

Na'll let me stop lying...

It was more like coming home from Church, waking up my brother, "Milk and Cookies", and watching him sweat profusely while he shoveled red Georgia clay and concrete (thanks to my builders... those bustas!), from around the walkway leading to my brick steps...

I did hand him the flowers from the flower pots, and I did hold the bags while he shoveled dirt and sod into them. And I did drive out to Peachtree City, 30 miles south of downtown ATL, and bought the darn flowers (You gotta go knee deep into the white neighborhood sometimes to find what you need, you know)...

So technically, I planted flowers last weekend.

Don't they look lovely??



Let's back up a little so you can see all of MY hard work... Lovely, hunh?



Before you say, "Gee Ladylee, those are quite nice", have a look at my neighbor's flowers...



Humph...

I can hear my lil' sista super shoe queen blogger Serenity 23 laughing and stomping so hard that she breaks one of her clear heels... Calm down gal... I know you gonna dog me, so go ahead on and dog me, Shorty...

I have to come home and look at their yard and see something out of the freakin pages of Home and Garden...



And look at the small tropical jungle on the side of their porch...



Now take a look at my flowers again...



Shut up, now... I ain't no hater. It's just that when I see my neighbor's Paul and Stan's flowers, I think "these are flowers"...

When I see my flowers, I think "these are flowers on crack!"

Well, while Milk and Cookies and I were out on the walkway slaving away, planting the flowers, Stan walked out on his porch and looked at us like we were crazy or had gone mad...

"What are ya'll doing over there?" he yelled.

Both my brotha and I looked up. "Planting flowers," I yelled back.

"Please don't let him come over here," I murmured to a smiling Milk and Cookies. No sooner than I whispered that hope, Stan was marching across his driveway heading straight for us.

"You know you gotta water those everyday, right. Just a little water, every day, and they will be just fine."

"Um... yeah, Stan... will do."

He went away as quickly as he came over.

Now, I know why he was stressing the "every day" watering. It was because I had planted a peach Snapdragon, the color of my house, in April. The Snapdragon flowers started turning red, and I lost interest... I didn't water that thing, and for a good two months, a collection of dried sticks and stems sat where there was once a beautiful red snapdragon...

And I know that pissed off Paul and Stan, especially when they had to see that monstrosity while cutting my grass! LOL!

So, Stan felt it was his duty to warn me, the Botanical Novice Ladylee, to water the flowers everyday...

I've been heeding his advice, and since we are under a watering restriction, I have even been sneaking out there at night with a couple of gallons of water making sure they are getting watered on my city imposed non-watering days. (Don't trip, word is they arresting people these days, and I ain't trying to be locked down over some doggone flower watering!)

Will my flowers grow? Hmm... I will let you know! Stay tuned for a pic later this month!

10 comments:

  1. Is that what you call flowers? Man, you should have let Stan and nem have that. They got everything. I bet they can cook too huh? I'm gonna be nice. I bet they hands real soft too huh? Ok, I'll stop.
    PS. I SERENITY23 DO NOT WEAR CLEAR HEELS. THOSE ARE STRIPPER SHOES AND I LONG GAVE UP THAT JOB.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @S23...

    Gal, Paul and Stan can do everything, from yard work to world class cooking... And their hands are probably soft because they have probably researched it, and have found the best lotions in the world! Pisses me off, because they are some doggone dudes! They go and read up on it and DO IT! Why can't I be like that? Geez!

    Yeah, we know you gave up that job a while ago... but I know you still wear them clear heels around the house, homie! I ain't mad at cha!! LOL LOL LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:06:00 PM

    Lady Lee let me know when you need some help in the yard. That's one of my favorite pass times:)
    Vivian

    ReplyDelete
  4. HARK...

    Is that the my book club sista Vivian who lives in a hood near me?!?

    Feel free to come by and help a sista out!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. shoot...be happy you can plant something!!!!!!

    Living here in concrete city...I would happy for some little pretty purple flowers!!!!!

    Boo-hoo...I'll have some soon...the deadline is Dec and then I'll be in Memphis planting something...legal LOL

    I like em Leelee...I really do...

    @Serenity...you don't have to give up the job...there a group called striipers for Jesus LOL...check em out: http://www.jesus21.com/portal/index.php?s=strippers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lawd, I've heard it all..strippers for Jesus! smh...the flowers are pretty Lee, just add some more and you'll feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @serenity...

    Next up on the pole... we have S23, in her clear heels.

    Gal, why did I see a woman at church with a pair of clear heels on and thought about you? LOL! Ya'll should have NEVER broke down the whole clear heels phenomenon to me!!

    @ My DJ...

    Look here, thanks for your support DJ... I know you saying that just to make me feel better.

    Thanks even more for the Strippers for Jesus website. I Know S23 is looking into that right now...

    @Kayla, the poetess...

    Um, you sound a bit too happy about the Strippers for Jesus... don't lead the mad rush over to the site. (LOL).

    I have one more flower to add. But can you believe that there are twice as many flowers bloomed out already in one weeks time? My goodness, they look so full, even starting to spread out. That Miracle Grow I put on them is no joke!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't feel bad, girl. I wish I had what it takes to want to plant flowers. I have a huge flower bed in my front yard that is so overgrown with weeds it ain't even funny. I love flowers but I ain't trying to get dirty to have them. I'm such a girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love them! When I had a flower bed the boys would continuously pick them for their momma. You know I really loved that since they try to charge you a grip just to purchase them at Home depot. They were trying to be sweet though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @that Oldgirl Chele...

    Chele, throw that son of yours out there with a hoe and a rake and tell him not to come back in the house until he's cleaned that flower bed out (doggonit!)

    Man, but seriously? What me and my brother did was bootleg... small stuff. Trying to organize and arrange a flower bed? It ain't going down!!

    @Chosen...

    Yo Girl, the trick is to drive the boys by OTHER people's yards and let them pick OTHER'S peoples flowers!! Just playing, don't want to see you locked up! LOL!!

    Yeah, and flowers cost a grip... Those cost me about 50 bucks. I think that I will um... not plant too many more!! And anyone who try to pick em' is gonna catch a foot in the throat! LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!