Friday, May 15, 2015

Friday Afternoon Funk

It is FRIDAY.

This week went by super fast. FAST.

And that's fine by me.

Now I need the weekend to go by extra slow. Like that's gonna happen. Humph.

This week has been scatter scatter. I was about to put a short story up on the blog... then I found out that I'd put it up a couple of years ago. So I decided not to put it up, although a repost would've been cool. The name of the story is "A Random Act of Kindness" if you want to go and read it. I found it in this old binder I used for a writing workshop back then, and I thought it was pretty cool.

I am still pondering my past weekend. It was a rough weekend. I don't do all the well around Mother's day. You would never know it. I kind of just keep to myself. It's really difficult having a mother that I don't mesh well with. So I spend much of my time... pontificating. (Yes, that's a proper word... pontificating). I even spent some time journalling about things.

And then my favorite author, Tayari Jones, put up an article she found on mothers' day about those who have toxic mothers and have had the courage to walk away. And it was such a relief to read about people who had the same issues I have. I didn't feel alone. It was the best thing anyone could even do for me. I texted her and thanked her for thinking of such, because I had been really struggling with my mental for a few days, and I can't really talk to anyone about it. And as a bonus, we spent the evening texting back and forth. She knows how to keep me laughing.  Somehow I made it through the weekend.

What was even more interesting was the writing workshop I attended on Saturday. The lady who invited me, Miss J, who is also VP of the group, got up and talked about writing. I met her in an old writing class, and I critique her stories from time to time. Anyway, she began talking about that (my critiquing). Then she got all teary-eyed and started talking about how she was so glad that I was in her life.

O_o.

I was sitting there listening, but looking at my blog on my cellphone. I heard my name and looked up and saw her all weepy. Yikes.

I don't know, I just don't think I'm that special or important. I'm special and important to myself, but I don't look for anyone to think of me that way.

Well heck, it's better than being a burden or a detriment to others. That ain't nothing nice.

Miss J had so many good things to say about me that I thought she was going to break out and sanging that song that Shug Avery sang to Miss Celie in the juke joint:  "Sista... you been on my mind, oh sista... we're too of a kind... "

LOL

But she didn't. Thank goodness for that.

Anyway, they are trying to get together an anthology. And it's a Christian writing group. I was concerned about that, because I don't write Christian fiction. You know me, I like to write about folks shooting folks, cussing folks out, just crazy stuff. It has a thin spiritual thread weaved throughout, but uh... not nothing that I would give to them to look at.

They are taking blog and inspirational pieces. I was looking around on my blog, and I have a ton of Food for Thought that I can rework. Since my microwave is busted, I was thinking about submitting a longer version of this blog post: "Microwaves and Crockpots".

I will work on that over the Memorial Day weekend. If it doesn't work out, I will work on something else. I have some 200 Food-for-Thought posts over here. I'm sure I can craft something lovely and inspirational.

This is a nice group to be a part of. I think I will continue. And they like me, since Miss J has them believing I walk on water.

Song of the Week. So, I have a spotify account. New CDs come out every Tuesday. This excites me, as I am always looking for some new music. And these days, I don't only like new music, I like something a little more abstract and out of the usual trendy lane.

I came across Alabama Shakes. "MAN," I hollered several times. "This whole CD is off the hinges! This dude sound a like a mix between Prince and Janis Joplin. I need to run over to youtube and see if they have any videos!"

Here's a video. "Sound and Color" by Alabama Shakes. 



Wowwwww! What a story. I looked up more videos. And I came across THIS:



Imagine my reaction when I saw that it was a SISTA singing.

A sister... singing Southern rock?????

*ladylee cartwheels all around the living room*

Wow.  This has to be one of the best groups I've heard in the last decade.  And the whole CD is great, top to bottom.

I looked to see if their tour is coming through Atlanta. It is, but it's way out on the Northside, some 40 miles from me. And the tickets are around  $200.

NO. Won't be seeing you, sista. I will watch the concerts on youtube. That's good enough  for me.

One more song.





*ladylee stands up and applauds feverishly*

No, I'm not a big southern rock fan. It has always felt so... confederate, and not for me.  But I love Janis Joplin. This young lady's inspiration is David Bowie and Nina Simone. O_o.  What a combo indeed.

That's it for me. I am looking forward to a busy weekend. I have a ton of chores to do around the house, so that's the first order of the day.  I may catch a movie with LadyTee. But I will be keeping as close to the house as possible. Don't want to wear myself completely out.

I will have a good weekend, on purpose. And you do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!