Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Painting... The Saga continues...

I tried to paint this weekend... I was quietly working on a small orange rose and I experienced some isshas...

I was doing good until the Infamous Hen-Dog and Tiny knocked on my door Saturday night... They both came in yacking HARD, while I was trying to concentrate on mixing colors.

Hen was leaning up against the island in the kitchen smiling and drinking a cold beer, talking much trash.

"LadyLee, you have too many hobbies!!"

"LadyLee, we gonna make your house the new hangout spot on Saturday nights!"


Dang. Yack, yack, yack, yacccck, yack yack yaaaaaaccck.

*LadyLee contemplating taking my paintbrush and going upside Hen-Dog's head with a cold ass Ninja or Jedi move.*

I watched as Tiny snatched a couple of baked chicken wings from a pan on the stove. He is the only person I have ever seen that can throw a whole chicken wing in his mouth and suck the bones clean in one swoop. Dude even went into my fridge and drank my expensive orange juice... He knows that I have the cheap ass Faygo drinks in the laundry room for so-called guests. I think he saw me concentrating hard... and decided to drink my four dollar liter of orange juice!

*LadyLee contemplating dialing 911 and yelling that she is being held hostage by a couple of trifling negroes*

Anyway, back to painting. I find that I have serious problems mixing paint to get just the right color...

Everything I mix usually comes out looking like... mud.

Now when I painted with my Aunt three weeks ago, I watched her mix paint to obtain the right color combinations with the greatest of ease. She saw my frustration then...

"Lisa," she'd say, "you need some white with just a little bit of yellow, and add a touch of that crimson red".

*LadyLee not following instructions, and taking a glob of each and getting... mud*

She would then place some of her paint on my palette so I could try to copy the color combination. I would sneak and use whatever she gave me (LOL)!!

She is sooo patient with me...

But anyway, I went to see her this weekend. Not to paint, but just to talk about painting. I'd been working on a small rose, and I needed some advice on mixing the colors. I wanted her to look at the small stash of art supplies that I'd bought to see if I had gotten the right stuff. She examined it all and was quite pleased with my purchases... She gave me a few books to read and some paints, brushes and canvases from her HUGE stash. She also showed me some of her practice canvases, and let me know that I needed to practice before I started on actual projects, just to see if I was satisfied with the color combinations, etc...

Like I said, we perused some of her "practice" work... and I took a few pictures with my digital camera.

A partial unfinished drawing/painting of some random people she saw in a magazine.



A practice canvas for various faces.



An unfinished painting of a photo of my mother and baby sister Kay, circa 1981. She didn't finish this painting. She said that she wanted to put flowers in the background, but never got back around to doing it.



My Auntie Joyce, circa 1970s... I was like, dang, how did you paint yourself. She painted it from a photo of herself... (duuuh, I am so slow!)






(below) A random painting of a woman from a magazine. Auntie was trying to explain the purpose of prepping my canvases. Here, she preped the canvas with red acrylics...




(below)The lady seated was a model in a class that my Aunt had taken some time ago... Auntie said that the model's fee was 50 bucks a student. There were 10 students in the class, so that is 500 bucks! At the end of the class, the teacher asked if the students wanted her to go nude. They said no. (I would've suggested a male model for the next class... and he has to do a table dance for MY 50 bucks! LOL!)









A random painting of a woman... a woman and child from a magazine...














Auntie has several cats... One of them, Pheebo, was interested in what we were doing... but as you can see, he looks a bit... bored.



He slowly walked away after awhile... and decided to go to sleep on Uncle Sean's lap...



Now, I meant to stay at Auntie's house for a couple of hours, but I actually stayed five hours. No painting, just talking. I took plenty of notes, and yesterday, my brother and I took a trip to Hobby Lobby and bought a few things that I needed. I even bought a very nice book on mixing paint to get the right colors!

So hopefully, with a little practice, I will have something of my own to post...

Until then, I will keep on, keeping on :)

7 comments:

  1. Hen and Tiny are right. You do have a lot of hobbies. I got one big hobby that takes up my time-TYLER. Oh and calling you a chickenhead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Serenity23...

    First of all, i ignore you when you call me chickenhead...

    Yeah, I do have a lot of hobbies. Life is a wee bit crowded right about now. I can't remember a time when I would just sit still and look at the wall and... think. That would be like chinese torture!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:48:00 AM

    Hey -- does Auntie sell her work? If so, where?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ chele...

    I am not sure. She has before, as mentioned in another post, but not sure now...

    Auntie? I know you're going to see this... What's your answer?

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK Auntie...I need to commission you or sign up for lessons....Can I send a pic of the twins and me?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Hassan... Really though.

    @My personal DJ, DJ DIVA...

    Sure send the photo of yourself and the twins to me, Dr. Ladylee, along with a check for a couple grand... LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!