Thursday, October 05, 2006

Random Happenings and Thoughts...

Time out for a station break...

A bit of randomness...

Still working on my "Blood Ride" Post, which is Loooooong as hell, but will be up sometime tomorrow...

I got a chance to once again see my faaaaavorite author this week, none other than Tayari Jones!



She was in town at my Alma Mater (am I spelling that right?) Emory University, giving a reading and signing and doing a seminar of some sort. I'd never heard her speak about her first book, Leaving Atlanta, so that was a treat.



She said something akin to, "Good LadyLee, you're here and you have your camera, so you can document all of this."

I'm thinking well shoot, what if I want to sit back and enjoy the talk, man??? Am I the official photographer for you whenever you are in the ATL?

Shoot, that's cool. I'm down for that! Really though:)

I think I took about 30 pictures, and 4 short movies... I would've taken more if I wasn't for me getting such odd looks because of the beeping of my camera during her talk.



She has this um, weird shoe fetish thing, going on. She is the only person that I have ever met that loves shoes more than Super Shoe Queen Blogger Serenity23.




"Get a picture of my shoes, LadyLee, for our blogs! We gotta get pics for our blogs!!" She throws her purse down on the floor next to her shoes.

"Um," I began, "Uh, could you at least put your books in the picture??"

"Hold on!"
She reaches for a couple of books and poses them down by her feet.



Yeah Mon... that's how you do it!!

I, LadyLee, am not a shoe buff. A strappy high heel does absolutely nothing for me. I would have been VERY excited about a brown and pink NIKE, though.

But that's just me...

It was STRANGE walking around Emory's campus. I haven't been on that campus in 11 years! I walked the same paths I walked with my fellow graduate students, all of us completely stressed out, trying to find somewhere to study... I even saw the place where me and Oldgirl#2, who comments here on my blog occasionally, would go every Tuesday night for our B&B (bitch and beer) vents. Chile, there was nothing in the world like crying over a pitcher of cold beer and a plate of hot wings! (Jaggers is no longer there, Oldgirl#2! ~sigh~)

I promised myself when I left so many years ago that I would NEVER step foot on that campus, never ever again... I don't even drive down that street.

But you know I have to catch Tayari whenever she's in town...

Sometimes rules are meant to be broken...

Anyway, good job as always Tayari!

A random pic... On the way home that evening, I took a picture of my Capitol Avenue highway exit, coming down I-20 west. I know I am a few minutes from home when I see these signs...



Also, 1 year ago today, I officially became a homeowner!! I have been in my house for a whole year, but it doesn't feel like it. I remember back then being a little apprehensive, hoping that I could handle the drastic change in my finances. But there comes a time when you gotta work your faith, and close the door on fear... I am HAPPY to say that I have been able to handle it just fine. I am even able to still throw a little cash into savings, so I am happy about that, too. I am getting ready to do a couple of home improvements, which should be interesting. We'll see how it all goes...

Tomorrow is Friday, and I get paid... and I have a three day weekend due to Columbus Day!!




After paying the mortgage, I am going SHOPPING!!!!

Not quite going on a "Bling-bling" expedition... just going to get a few things for the house, some art supplies, etc... I hate clothes shopping, but I need clothes, so I will reluctantly do that also.

That's about as bling as it gets for the Oldgirl, you know!

Until tomorrow... Holla!!

3 comments:

  1. Word.

    Happy anniversary sis.

    Good looking out on the pics, you staff photographer you.

    Don't even worry bout' the long posts... I do it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy anny on the homeowning bid! that's great!

    I LOVE THOSE SHOES. i've got a little shoe fetish, nothing major. i just like it when my big feet look decent in a pair of shoes, which isn't that often.

    i wonder if most black folk feel like you feel after attenting predominantly white universities. as a former student of famu i can't wait to get there and the folks i went to school with feel the same (except my brother).

    what was it about emory that had you saying "i'm never coming back here again!"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ladylee - I too am a fan of Tayari's and an Emory grad. I left in '92, undergrad.

    I'm curious about why you said you'd never go back? I don't feel the same - as a matter of fact, after a period of working for an HBCU and seeing all the alumni love there, it made me want to get back to my EU roots. (And I'll be there for alumni weekend in a few weeks). Am curious about your experience - so if you want to share ...

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!