Wednesday, May 28, 2014

RIP Maya Angelou... 1928-2014


22 years ago, when I'd first started grad school at a prestigious school in my city, I had a chance to see Maya Angelou give a speech.

I didn't jump at the chance to go. I'd seen the announcement in the school paper, but one of my Jewish classmates was so excited and wanted me to go with him. I was much more interested in the latest Chronic CD and some Snoop Dogg than Maya Angelou visiting our campus and giving a speech. I'd seen the movie I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings. But I wasn't interested in going.

After much talk and discussion, I actually broke down and went with him.

I found it to be a very good speech. I, like everyone present in the auditorium, sat quietly listening to her words of wisdom.

Some 22 years later, something she said stuck with me:

She said that when you go out into the world, to give an interview, to speak before people, or whatever it may be, you are not alone. Your family is there with you, your ancestors are present with you. All these people go with you to handle whatever it is you have to handle.

And that stuck with me. In the midst of all the nervousness and uncertainty when standing before people, I have always reminded myself that people who love me unconditionally are with me. They have help shape me into the person I am, so therefore they are with me in these situations.

And that, at times, has made all the difference. You know how I am, I will spend time chewing on something like that. And over the years, it has meant different things at different times. She sowed a good seed in me that day. She sure did.

If you get a chance, go read a write-up of her life over on wikipedia. (She has written 7 autobiographies... wow. I never knew that).

What an intense life she has lived, packed tight with all the ups and downs and in betweens.

What a loss.

I am just glad some 22 years ago, my classmate said "Lee, you gotta go see Maya Angelou. I love her. She's awesome. Go with me. You want me to get your ticket?"

I am glad I said yes.

Very glad indeed.

2 comments:

  1. I love listening to Maya. Glad you did not miss out. I have loved her for so many years. I wished I could have been at one of her speeches back in the day. I read 5 of her autobiographies back in the 90s. As a poet, I am in awe of her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother took me and my sisters to see her when I was a little girl. Even though I was young I still remember how awesome it was.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!