Tuesday, April 17, 2018

A Tail of Two Quails

I love trying new food. So recently I ventured out on trying something I'd never even considered until I saw it in a Farmer's market over in the Mexican/Asian district of Atlanta:

QUAIL.

Now here's my thing. I always thought quails were small, even smaller than Cornish hens. And I always thought they may be "gamey" (however you spell it), and that' the worst taste in the world to me. So there was really no need for me to ever eat one.

However, while perusing the farmer's market, I came across some quail that was already dressed. And it was dirt cheap, so I bought it.


Three dollars and some change for quail. You can't beat that!

So I looked up how to cook them. They could basically be pan-fried pretty fast. And that's what I did.


So this should have taken all of 10 minutes. Nope, it took longer. Maybe it would have been faster if I didn't use a grill pan, but geesh. I think it took some 20 minutes to cook them.


This was more than a notion. And I was thinking that "I could've grilled up some chicken wings. This too much trouble!"

Speaking of wings... look how small these wings are:


Wow. And NO.

It all looks pretty on the plate. And that's all well and good.



But I won't be eating them again.

First of all, they were good, because they'd been marinated in some type of light barbeque sauce or brown sugar and soy sauce... something. That was good.

But you know what it reminds me of?

It's the poultry equivalent to a blue crab.


You know how hard you have to fight with a blue crab to get a little crab meat from them? And you know how many blue crabs you have to eat just to feel full?

Yeah. Too hard and too many. And that's how these quails were.

In the Bible, the slaves had left Egypt, and God sent manna and quails from the sky.

And they the folks STILL had an attitude.

Well... I do understand why. Quails are a trip to deal with!

I don't want any more of those quail. I will only eat them if we are on some show like Survivor and a whole mess of quails fly by, and that's ALL we have to eat. So we have to chase them down and kill them.

But as long as I can walk into a grocery store and get a package of chicken parts, I'm good.

Yes. And amen.

1 comment:

  1. Funny. I appreciate your willingness to step out of the box. I wish I were more adventurous.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!