Monday, January 14, 2019

A Special Birthday Memoir- Grandma

Today is January 14, 2019. It is the day before Martin Luther King's January 15 birthday.

And January 14, 2019 was also my grandmother's birthday. She was born January 19, 1929.

She passed in June of last year. If she would have lived, she would have been 90 years old today.

It is a blessing to live to be 89 years old. I know we all would hope to live that long.

I must admit I miss her so much. For so many years, I would call her up early on her birthday and wish her a happy birthday. I always remembered because she is one day older than Martin Luther King would have been if he was alive.

And we always played a game. I was born when she was 40 years old. So she would always break down my age based on hers.

I could not call her today, for she is no longer here. And if felt so strange.

My blog is some 13 years old. I am happy for that because I have so many pictures here. And it was nice to go back and pick out some old pictures of my grandmother.

It was nice to take time to remember her.


Grandma with her first great-grandson Champ.




Grandma with her walking stick, for just in case she needed to smack a dog upside the head.



I'd attended my paternal aunt's funeral near her home one Saturday, and I surprised her with a visit. She was sitting on her front porch cracking walnuts.

Grandma standing on her front porch. I was trying to leave, and she always watches me get in the car and drive up the street.


Grandma with two of her great-grandson's, the Milk and Cookies crew, Shawn and Tristan, aka Milk and Cookies Jr. and Milk and Cookies 3.0.



Grandma with her great-granddaughter Mya. She bugged me until I drove her over to see her.

My grandmother and grandfather, and my mother and auntie. This was back in the 50s, around the time of the Korean conflict.

Grandma on her front porch. I'd arrived to take her to one of her doctor's appointment.


Grandma with Milk and Cookies some 12 years ago. We'd gone to Red Lobster to have lunch, and to see him in action on his very first job. He was 16 or 17 at the time.

A visit with Grandma some 6 years ago after she'd been in the hospital.


A picture of Grandma at her oldest niece Virginia's funeral. Grandma loved a good funeral.
Grandma holding my sister Kentucky's baby. He was definitely a preemie here. And grandma was so happy to hold another great-grandson.


A picture of Grandma from the 70s. She was looking so serious.

And finally, Grandma's shock at seeing Milk and Cookies tattoo. That was a hilarious day.


These are but a few of so many memories that I have of my grandmother. But it was so nice to go back and relive all these wonderful memories.

I only wish I could sit and talk with her one more time.

I miss her so so much.

Rest in peace, Grandma.

3 comments:

  1. Blessed be. Such precious memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grandma's are the best! Peace be with you, on those memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:51:00 PM

    Thank God for memories.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!