Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Story Week: "Fancy That" Part III

Good morning, Boys and Girls... story week continues!

click here for Fancy That, Part I: Paulette Reese
click here for Fancy That, Part II: Arthur Reese

(3rd of 4 character sketches: Portia Reese, 33 year old daughter of Paulette and Arthur Reese.)

Portia Reese

I've never understood my mother and father's relationship.

I've always assumed they stayed together because of me. I thought that once I turned 18 and went away to college, they would get a divorce and go there separate ways.

But I guess that wouldn't look right being from a small town. They seemed to be more concerned with putting on airs than going with their hearts.

They were one way in church, all lovey-dovey, and another way at home. They barely spoke to each other at home. We’d eat our meals together, albeit quietly, at the dining room table. Mama never said anything much to either of us. She'd go off to herself and do her things while Daddy sat in the den, watched television, or read his bible.

I wasn’t all that close to my mother. I knew to do what I was told and stay out of her way. It was as if, I don't know, she tolerated me, and was one thought from pulling over to the side of the road and abandoning like an unwanted puppy.

Daddy did his best to take up the slack. We went fishing and camping together. He'd take me with him when he ran errands. He helped with homework and attended PTA meetings. It was my Daddy that told me about the birds and the bees. It was my Daddy who I ran to when got my first period. It’s a shame that he had to hold my hand and walk me through the store and help me buy what I needed that day.

I cried on my Daddy’s shoulder when my heart was broken for the first time. He was the first one that I called when I popped up pregnant and didn’t know what to do.

My Daddy was my hero.

Mama just looked at me like I’d stole something.

Maybe she acted that way because I was the spitting image of Daddy and looked nothing like her.

At least that’s what I kept telling myself.

4 comments:

  1. I need to go back and see what you said about these sketches being a part of a larger story.

    If they you don't let us know what's up, I'm organizing a mutiny up in here!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright OG,

    That was tooooooo predictable. Of course Portia would feel this way. You have to dig deeper. What don't we know about her. What is the shocking, deeply buried secret in her life. This is not good enough for you Lee; simply put, you didn't leave us wondering anything about this character. Even the unwed pregnancy was par for the course considering her distant mother. Therefore, you are instructed to take this one back to the drawing board because right now, I have not even one question or concern about her because she has no mystery!!!

    Sorry, Sharon's back now; I lost myself in the fun of picking somebody else's writing apart for a change ;) Not to worry though, I'm sure you will get me back real, REAL, soon! Check my Vox later tonight or first thing in the morning and go to work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Ms. Blackliterature.com...

    You. are. funny. Shorty, I am getting ready for class... I ain't putting the whole story up on here... just wanting to know what you think of the characters...
    We will talk on email...

    @Sharon...

    *Lee burns fingertips trying to block the scorching microphone that Sharon just knocked her in the head with.*

    Why you diss me, man? You sound like my teacher.

    Truth be told, Portia ain't all that deep and she is in this story only for a quick minute(you will see why with the granddaughter's character). I myself don't care for this character and will not be delving into much concerning her... She is very cliche, very 2-dimensional, and not at all on my mind. I will NOT be going back to the drawing board. So I must say that I do agree with your assessment, and expected you to say such a thang...

    So there, Mike-checka... Take THAT!

    Yeah, and I know that you are sitting there with your lips pursed, just like my teacher. LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting. This story or novel is going to be good.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!