Monday, March 03, 2008

Fun Facts about LadyLee. . . Chemistry Style!

Like I said, this week is ***CHEMISTRY WEEK***

'Tis a chance, you see, for me to post a few of the stories I've had in cue for a while. Time to flush them out for the world to see.

Now here's a warning:

ALL of the stuff posted this week may not be funny to you, but it is funny to us chemists. We have little "war stories" we like to tell each other. I'm not sure how this all originated, but it's a chemist thing.

(Don't say you weren't warned, mayne.)

But this year is the 10th anniversary of my getting my Ph.D., and I thought I would commemorate it in some way.

So you may read some of the stuff that I write this week and see **crickets**, or be like, "Yo, that ain't funny. Not funny at all. That sounds DANGEROUS."

But realize, it is funny to us chemists. Like in any profession, some things are just funny amongst people in that particular profession.

And since this here is my blog, I wanted to post a few stories and other chemistry related things.

But some "fun" facts about me before we proceed...


1. So I graduated some 10 years ago in 1998. My Ph.D. is in Organic Chemistry, specifically Organic synthesis. More specifically, Drug design and structure-acti.vity relationships. Easiest way of explaining it. . . You can give me a chemical structure of a compound (say coc.aine, for instance), and I can deconstruct in my head and come up with a number of ways to synthesize it. Plus, I can come up with ways to tweak it's activity, i.e, add things to it to make it weaker. . . or stronger.



(Hmmmm.... I bet that little co.caine thing got your attention. Let's not talk about that. Let's move right along.)

So I'm bizarre. I think in structures. Anytime I hear the chemical name, I have a picture of it in my mind. I am constructing and deconstructing. Weird, but I can't control it! LOL LOL LOL

Now what made me go to school for this? Nope, wasn't no burning desire or passion for chemistry. (Eww. I shiver at the thought.) I liked it and all, for sure. But it helped that the programs pay all tuition AND give a fat stipend. (Little known fact: this is the case for most scientific disciplines. Gotta coax peeps into doing it.) So I went to school with no worries of student loans, free of charge. And that's a GOOD thang! (Ain't NO way I'd go through all that ish and have to pay for it. Chemistry is HARD. Are you kidding me??)

2. After the Ph.D., some people do what's called a Postdoctoral Fellowship, or what we call a "Post-Doc". This is a fellowship, lasting 2 years or more, where you get further training in your area of study. I ditched the whole organic synthesis thing, and did something a little different: I got a Post-Doc working with ter.mites down in New Orl.eans. Interesting, grinding up those suckers and figuring out what makes them tick. I studied wood chemistry, and why ter.mites liked certain woods and hated others. I figured out ways to separate those chemicals from the wood and test them with the termites. So as a result, I have a lot of entomology (study of bugs), analytical chemistry (opposite of organic synthetic chemistry), and microbology (study of microbes and fungus) experience. OH JOY!

Those were some of the WORST years of my life. Not a good look being one of a few blacks in that building. I KNEW that I was black when I was there. GEEZ. We won't go into all that.

But I was useful. I coauthored a couple of papers during my 2.5 year stay. And having an organic chemist around is a good thing. I was able to find other organic chemists in other parts of the world who had rare organic compounds we needed for our ter.mite studies.

"That's not available, LadyLee!" my boss would say.

"No sir. Everything's available! Someone has that compound in the bottom of their freezer somewhere!"

**Boss is silent and red-faced as LadyLee hands him the email address of some obscure organic chemist over at some obscure college in Italy**

3. So currently, I work in food chemistry. Some folks who know me know what I do, and I won't detail it here. It involves regulatory chemistry, which was a BIG gear shift from research based chemistry. I mean, I had to change my thinking something drastic. I somewhat like what I do, but it bores me, and my boss knows this (which is funny). I make good money, so I will hold tight for a minute (but I think about other ventures... hmm).


4. I am a closet phytochemist, i.e., I LOVE thinking about the chemical components and properties of plants, fruits, and veggies. There are a couple of phytochemistry posts coming up this week, hopefully. I would LOVE to get an associate professorship somewhere and teach it and have my own research group. (I even co-authored a paper a while back involving canta.loupe response to ultraviole.nt light (i.e., simulated sunshine) in a journal called Phy.tochemistry a few years ago. So you know... there is an interest there.)

But uh, I have to wrap my head around the 20% salary cut I would take if I stopped doing what I do now to go and teach.

But I think I like phytochemistry because it encompasses ALL the different areas of work and research I've been involved in over the past 18 years (geez, has it been THAT long?!)

Hmmm... An Oldgirl has to get her faith straight. I REALLY have to work my faith out concerning such.

Really though.

5. One of the most rewarding things I've done is go to schools and talk to kids about chemistry, or do demonstrations. I haven't done that in a good 7 years or so, and I do miss it. I've even taught chemistry classes for 6 and 7 year-olds. (Yes, there is such a thing. What didn't I know about such programs as a child?)

It bothers me that I don't see many black kids in such programs. It is something else when a black parent walks up and say how they are SO glad that their child gets to see one of "US" teaching. It means a lot to them. There are a lot of programs out here for our kids that we don't know about. And we have some smart kids, so come on, parents... Get your kids in some of these programs.

6. I have some experience dealing with moisture-sensitive compounds, i.e., stuff that catches fire if it gets in contact with water, air, and what-not. One of the more interesting projects I've worked on is compounds that give off light when they decompose.

Sometimes ish can go wrong with air and moisture sensitive stuff. It makes for some interesting fire stories...

So there are a few fun facts about the Oldgirl...

"You're such a nerd, LadyLee!!!" you may say.

Yes.

Yes, I am. . .

And, doggonit, that's why we're having **CHEMISTRY WEEK**

LOL!!!

Now enough of my background...

On to the funny-funny...

5 comments:

  1. To piggy back on your post: I'm in IT, and I teach a class in in web devlopment to HS students. The program is put together by a Black professional group, but you would be soooo surprised at how hard it is to get Black youth to participate. This year, the tech magnet public high school is referring students and so far... NOT ONE student they have referred is Black. NOT ONE!!

    It really makes you feel good when Black parents tell you how they feel when you walk into the room. But why oh why is it so hard to get the info out about various programs etc. I know there are more Black kids in Charlotte that would be interested in what we are doing.

    Wish there was a clearinghouse online. Maybe that's something I should put out there... Hmm....

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Ms.Blackliterature.com...

    Man, WHAT is up with that? There are SO many opportunities available. We can't find them, and we don't take part in them.

    But as I found out, when as one of the only black students at times in my grad program... WE ARE SOME HIGHLY INTELLIGENT PEOPLE. And we are capable of much.

    We just have to seek out opportunities. White parents do this with a vengeance. I mean, they are SERIOUS about such things when it comes to their children.

    While teaching that class, I got curious and asked some of the parents how they found out about chemistry classes for their children. They said through their guidance counselors. And many of these kids were from Montesorri schools and private schools. I just don't think our public schools get the information.

    My best friend's children go to schools outside of the southside area, the good schools on the North side of town, through some special program. We all know the schools and education are better up that way, but she says there is a marked difference up there. Parents are more involved with the process. Which means teachers and guidance counselors get more involved in the process. Hence, more opportunities, more care, and much more support.

    My mother didn't care what went on with me and my schooling. She never attended a PTA meeting. When I hit 8th grade, she said I was on my own... goodness. (I knew I better not come in that house with a bad grade, though). But that was the order of the day. I took care of school, and she took care of keeping a roof over our head. End of story. Hopefully that has or will change.

    But there are programs available. Some are even FREE. But we have to take time to seek them out.

    That's why I enjoyed going out to schools giving demonstrations when I was doing my post-doc work... I spoke with a class of 10th graders once, and I told them that they could get a Ph.D. in anything, BUT I had to convince them of such (they really looked at me like I was crazy!)... One young lady thanked me for coming, saying she knew now that she could be anything she wanted to be, and do whatever she was truly interested in.

    So, that right there? Makes it all worth it.

    I hope things will change. I really do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Should I be taking notes? Is there a test at the end of the week?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Terry, sitting in his Cheap seats...

    Yes! There is a test at the end of the week. Memorize and draw all that ish in my post.

    Yeah right... No, no test. But you best take a few notes. LOL. I've done enough memorizing for us ALL, because some of that stuff in the drawings is some of my work.

    (But feel free... really!)

    LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting.

    My daughter attended a really good private school, but they never mentioned any of these programs to us. Part of that is because she was one of 3 in a class of 92 kids.
    But, it would have been nice to know that programs existed to get a free education. I gotta remember that for the boys.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!