Friday, March 28, 2008

Food for Thought: "Until I Get Off My Behind..."



Every now and again, That Original Oldgirl Chele likes to pull out her Original Oldgirl platinum plus card and USE IT.

This does not suprise me. It makes me quite happy, though.


Afterall, she is one of my favorite novelists, poetess, essayist, and -

Blog fam cups hands around mouth and screams:

"Stop jocking Chele, LadyLee!!!"

*LadyLee squints hard at blog fam*

Shut up. Been a loooong time since I've jocked THAT Original Oldgirl. Hush up.

Chele drops mad knowledge. And when she does, it's like dynamite - it's explosive, blows up isshas, rearranges some things for this Old Girl.

Yes. I jock.

LOL!

But on the serious tip-

Last week, she wrote in a blog post...

"Behavior dictates attitude. In other words, I can pray for a better attitude until eternity but until I get off my behind and change my behavior nothing is going to happen." (Chele, 2008)

Wow. That has been on my mind, on my mind, on my mind. I've been pondering it, chewing on it, pontificating on it left and right.

She happened to put the foot stomp on something I've been struggling with in my journals for the past few months. I've been writing much about my behavior and attitiude, struggling with consistency of them both, and trying to change each.

There's one thing that I've noticed about myself over the years:

Looks like when I pray about things, nothing happens UNTIL I get off my behind and get moving in that general direction. In other words, I can sit around and pray until the cows come home, but nothing ain't happening until I get up off my knees, make a to-do list, or AT LEAST take a baby step in that general direction - make a phone call, do SOMETHING.

I shudder to think about how many prayers have been answered over the years, but I would not get off my behind and make a few moves in the right direction towards the answer.

*LadyLee shuddering hard, and deciding not to think about passed up dreams and bad decisions*

You know, in this day and age, we are up to our necks in resources. I mean, resources abound. I wish I had the internet instead of that freakin' card catalog madness I had back in the day. In this day and time, I've been able to get the answers to my questions in a matter of minutes, in a matter of seconds even.

And yeah, I may not feel like doing something. Yeah, my feelings/attitude might be jacked up. But until I get off my behind, and get ta moving in that direction that I need to be going, my feelings or attitude WON'T change. I am fully persuaded that in the midst of making moves, my attitude and behavior will adjust accordingly.

Because if I'm waiting for my attitude and my feelings to change before I step out on a little faith...

Man, I'ma be waiting a long time. I hate to say it, but I'm STILL, in certain areas of my life, waiting around for an attitude change.

Humph. And I see that Original Oldgirl Chele has realized the same things, in her own way, of course.

I thought I was the only one struggling with that.

It is good to know that great minds think alike.

Really though.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:05:00 AM

    That is a good quote from Chele. **writing it down in my quote book**

    I realized a couple of years back that I can pray all day long for something but I have to put forth the effort to get it. You can't pray for a job and don't look for one. God isn't going to bless you with a job if you just sitting down on your butt doing nothing.

    After I realized this, my blessings were answered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:06:00 AM

    Oh, I'm almost finish the book. I'm enjoying it and taking notes. I'll let you know what I got from it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @That southern black gal...

    You and that doggone quote book... I gotta get me one. I usually throw them in my journal. I have a couple of good ones I heard around the way coming up soon.

    I think praying then getting up and handling your bizness/moving in the right direction serves to smother two important things - self doubt and fear. Get rid of those, we good to go.

    Glad you reading the book. Right a post up on that, why don't cha!

    LOL!

    Have a good weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a hard lesson for me. But over the past couple of weeks I decided that once I chose to be happy (and get off my behind) than things would change.

    and they have :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's one lesson at a time for me…and glad for it!

    Chele is always dishing out the good stuff.

    Thanks for sharing with the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!