Friday, October 11, 2019

Hence the Fence, Part II


(Yes, there is a "Hence the Fence, part I". Imagine that. And look at the date on it... it is an OLD post.)

So there has been some craziness going on with my backyard fence for at LEAST the past year.

It's been leaning something awful, with one stick holding it up... barely holding it up.


Then I was leaving for work one morning, and I saw this.


UGGGGGGH. I was O_O!!!

And my silly behind went back there and tried to lift the completely fallen part back up into place.

SHOOT. That was a fruitless effort.

Look at this tomfoolery.


UGGGHHHH.


Now, like I said, the fence was weathered and was falling down. And my next door neighbor, well, his part had completely fell down, and at some point he had his part of the broken down fence removed. And I noticed something: the locals had started using our yards as a cutthrough from our street to the next street over.

I tell you, it's a bit jarring when I sweeping off my front porch or washing dishes and I spy someone just walking past the side of my house. VERY jarring.

This wasn't that big of a deal. But when I saw a whole SECTION of my fence down, I had to do something fast.

Why? Because of one thing, really. My neighbors across the street have moved, and I suspect (don't quote me on this), that some locals are using my back yard as a route for raiding that house of its appliances or AC or something like that.

And I can't have that.

So I was extra motivated to stay the least.

By the end of the day (a Thursday), I'd found a contractor to tare out that fence and build another. We were mailing contracts and deposits at 10 pm that night.

And when I arrived home on Friday evening from work, Home Depot had delivered all of this fella's supplies were in my backyard. (He'd said that he refused to stand in line at Home Depot buying things when he can get his supplies delivered by Home Depot. Apparently that is popular now with the contractors).


By midmorning Saturday, the contractor was out there knocking down the fence. And by the time I was leaving for my book club meeting, he'd had it down, and I could see the neighbor's backyard.


I told him to keep the old posts up if they were in good condition. Good enough. I wasn't trying to do nothing pretty. The neighbors gotta stare at the posts, not me. Humph.

That old fencing was busted! Super raggedy! Uggh!


And by Saturday night? I had a NEW beautiful fence.


How lovely is that? And one of the locals slid up on me and convinced me to allow him to get rid of the weeds and trim a tree or two. Worked out well enough.


The fence extended about 3 feet over into my neighbor's yard, but dude ain't said a word. And I know he's been looking at it. His yard was the big cut through part. No more! Although I do plan on talking to him about it if I see him anytime soon.

But within 48 hours of first making a call, the fence got done. Part of me had been wanting to get the fence taken down, as far back as 2016, but a neighbor on the other street behind me and one house over filed a lawsuit to move the fence. It was decided that they would move my 2 FEET OF my FENCE at their expense. Such BS!! My lawyer said don't have the old fencing taken down until they move it.

That was 3 years ago. They never did.

They wanted to work out something with me, but I sicced a lawyer on them. There was no way I was signing paperwork with all the gentrification going on. I may have been signing away my house, since they pushing up on folks to move out so the white folks can move in.

But now, I have a NEW fence. And it is beautiful. And there's no locals cutting through my yard.

Heck I may even spend a little time in the backyard!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:44:00 PM

    OMG You're back! welcome back!
    mary from Louisiana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:19:00 PM

    plant something back there

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fence looks great. Did you consider asking the neighbor to split the cost?
    S23

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!