Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Enter the Dragon!

As part of transitioning to a more vegetarian lifestyle, I've made it a requirement for myself to try new fruits, vegetables and grains from time to time.

Some things work, resulting in me finding new and interesting foods.

Sometimes it doesn't. And all I can say is that I tried the item.

But the most unsual fruit I tried is one that I came across recently.

DRAGON FRUIT.




Other names for it: Pitaya and Strawberry Pear.

Look at it. Looks like an egg laid by a dragon.



Or if I'm really being honest, it looks like something a dragon coughed up or shot out its behind.

A bizarre fruit, it is. Even more strange is how it grows.



On a cactus. If I was a pioneer back in that day, and walked up on that odd looking stuff growing on a cactus, well, let's just say I would've kept on walking. Looks a bit, I don't know... poisonous.

It originated in the far east asian countries. It's also grown in Israel, Austrailia, and Hawaii.

The look of the flower doesn't do much for one wanting to eat of the fruit.



With that said, I saw the dragon fruit at my local farmer's market. I passed by it once, thought "What the heck is that?" and kept walking.

By the time I came back there were a few people gathered around it.

One guy said "You just gotta get one. You gotta."

He said what we were all thinking. So I grabbed one. I think it cost 2 bucks.

It sat in the fridge for a week. I half expected for to open the door of the fridge one morning and it would be there... pulsing and glowing. Or Ithought I'd open the fridge and see a baby dragon glaring at me.

(My imagination is way to vivid).

But it just sat there, on the top shelf... waiting.

I told Serenity23 about it, and she looked it up and relayed some info. (Why didn't I think of doing that?) So after what she said, I decided to give it a try.

I was NOT expecting to see what I saw once I cut it.



White flesh with black seeds. (There is a metaphor there somewhere, but I just don't think that deeply.)

Here's a pic I saw of it, all cut up all pretty.



Man, do not let me come to your house for a party and see some craziness like that on the table. I WILL TALK ABOUT YOU LATER ON. You might as well cut up an apple and serve it to guests.

Black speckled white wedges ate not a good look on a plate.

How does it taste? Tasted to me like a cross between a ripe overripe pear and a kiwi. As a matter of fact you would think that someone mixed kiwi seeds into a pear. I love pears. I like kiwi. But this was just alright.

You'll never hear me say, "Oh lawd! I'm craving some good dragon fruit."

I'm not a big fan of white fruits and veggies. I prefer colorful fruit and vegetables. This dragon fruit isn't all that spectacular on nutrients. Yes, it has the usual, like vitamins and minerals. Has a little protein. (note: anything that comes out the ground has protein). It has a little fiber. But nothing in huge amounts.

I probably won't put this on my grocery list. As a matter of fact, another trip to the farmer's market and there it was... at double the price it was in the past week. (I guess they assumed people's interest in this strange fruit was synonymous with a demand for it. Humph). So no, I wasn't paying 4 bucks for a piece of fruit which tasted just okay.

I'm glad I tried something new.

Still looking for new more interesting fruits and veggies to try!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. Looks a little scary, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was waiting for "The Blob" to come out of that thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remind me not to come to your crib for dinner. I needz some ribs/chicken/hamburger. LOL

    Juss kiddin

    Good post, shawty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Ha! See I would serve it for the vegetarians at my cook out. And it looks so much like Oreo ice cream. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Chele... Scary indeed. Looks a tad bit "other-worldly". Not sure I'll fool with something that odd again.

    @Ali... yes, that describes how i felt, lol

    @Kyle... bruh, I'll have a pot of chitlins for you! LOL

    @Remnants of U... Man! Why you gotta compare to oreo ice cream? What an imagination!

    Don't serve that to your vegetarians. THEY WILL TALK BAD ABOUT YOU LATER ON.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats - just - weird.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!