Friday, September 24, 2010

Friday Freestyles

TGIF!!

Man, I tell you, my weekdays are going by superfast.

I think it's because I'm doing much busy work at work. So by the time I look up, it's time to go home.

And I ain't nowhere near mad about that, mayne.

My week. I don't quite remember Monday or Tuesday. I went to work, and managed to stay out of trouble, and these days, that's what's important.

Now, I know on Tuesday night I arrived home and I noticed that my brake lights didn't go off. And those lamps were getting REALLY hot. The only way I could turn them off was to disconnect my battery. Then there was the decision of having to take at least half a day off and go get everything taken care of. I would've loved to just take half a day off and go in to work that afternoon, but management is silly, and God forbid I walk in the building at 1 or 2 in the afternoon and the wrong person sees me. I didn't want to have to deal with any allusions of stealing time, so I just took the day off, drove waaay out to the southside, got it fixed and purchased 2 new tires and an alignment. (The tires and alignment took 3 hours. Pep boys is slow to death. GEEZ! I was just mentally exhausted after that.)

I put less than 5000 miles a year on my car, so when something goes bad, I get EVERYTHING taken care of at one time! So I was happy for that.

Afterwards, I came home and took a 3 hour nap. Talk about some gooooood sleep! WOW.

I have been sleeping hella good lately. Yay me!

Tonight I have another Women of Color Writing Workshop. Hopefully, I will generate some good material for my blog. I absolutely love the writing prompts, and they stir me up to work on my regular writing material. So I'm excited about that.

My group leader Dawn wants me to make this cake for the meeting.




Uh, no. I have no chocolate, no coffee, no sour cream, no white sugar, no NOTHING for this coffee infused double chocolate cake.

Dawn loves this cake. She's always hollering about how it's better than sex. *crickets*

Oh it is sooooo good. I don't think I've made one in 2 or 3 years. Very simple, and everything is from scratch. But I don't have the ingredients. I may make it next time. We will see. For this meeting, I think I will pick up a quick pizza.

For all I care, we can have bread and water. I'm just looking forward to good writing and good fellowship. That means so much to me. So much to us all.

Quote of the Week: Good one, a facebook status:

Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I — not events — have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.— Groucho Marx


That's very good. I need to read that one forward and backwards, and translate it into French and Spanish. I need to put that one in my smile box, i.e., my box of quotes.

Choose to be happy in spite of all things. I needed that. It's up to me to rein in my frustrations and... be happy.

Current Events. The most important current event going on in the ATL right now are issues with a pastor of the sister church to my own megachurch. Folks really want to know my opinion on the matter. It's interesting, because you can throw people into two categories: those who scoff behind the questions, and those who genuinely want to talk about these things, as it is causing them to examine themselves and their thoughts on spirituality. And I was telling a good friend yesterday, that when these things happen, it's a good way to "locate" people. If someone gives me problems over my spiritual choices, then I automatically know that they have thought bad of me all along, and aren't worthy of much thought from me in the first place.

The older I get, the more I'm like this: You either wrecking my steelo and throwing me off course, or you helping me grow stronger in someway. Period. No we don't have to agree on our choices, but let's be supportive and helpful to each other instead of taring each other down. This is what I yearn for in my life, and I hope to be in the lives of others.

This is my thing, as with most sensational things I see on TV. Do I even have a right to stand as judge and jury over anyone other than myself and those I'm responsible for?

No.

But I realize that we in this day and age are groomed to do so. I'm daily training myself not to. Man, I think so much about what leads up to things, and examining my own life in light of it, and praying about any changes I need to make within my ownself, that I really don't have the time or patience to scoff and trip.

Far as I'm concerned, what's going on is between Bishop and his congregation. My own pastor stays in trouble. This is nothing new, as far as I'm concerned. I got a problem with a pastor who can't handle persecution. Big problem.

On my mind this day is my friends who attend New Birth, presently and in the past. They are GREAT people, people who don't worship a man, but are simply looking to grow spiritually. When I think of them, I think of wonderful people, who have grown in their lives under the pastoral care of their Bishop. Those friends have greatly impacted my own life and my spiritual walk, and I am immensely thankful for them. Know that I'm praying for you, and thinking of you. Keep your head held high, and hold on to your faith, and continue to grow. No, I haven't call any of you, because I know you're being inundated with calls, and you know me, I dont' like to bother people. But you got my number and email if you need to talk. I am here and thinking of you.

That's how I truly feel in my heart about it all. My bit of something positive in the sea of negativity.

Song of the Week. One of my favorites, from a most excellent CD by Tonex, and probably one of the most personally honest gospel CDs I've every heard. I love this song, as it speaks to the heart of me, and questions I've asked of myself on occasion, the whole question of why I do the things I do.

That's such a poignant song, and I love the jazz influences and the overall feeling of it. Follow that up with a good praise song, and I'm good!

Today, we make the choice to be happy.

And with that said, I hope you have a great weekend... on purpose.

10 comments:

  1. you covered alot! And, it was all well said. I live by the motto, "choose to be happy". It most certainly is a choice!

    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you mentioned the Bishop thing. I've seen people convict the man and that's based on a tweet that allegations were made. Sigh. My Pastor in BR use to have tons of rumors going against him b/c he was divorced.. Rumors about men and women. And people would ask how I can attend there. Simple b/c I learned a lot and liked the church MEMBERS and the fellowship

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank You for your thoughtful insights regarding Bishop Long. It has been a challenging time for me this week. I am not a foolish woman, but my connection to all that has occurred runs deep- oh let me just admit that I am spiritually connected to Bishop Long and it hurts. Your words and prayers do help. Thank You from the depths of my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. jennifer12:45:00 AM

    Hey Lee, thanks for saying what needs to be said... judge not lest ye be judged

    Man, I used to play that Tonex album! I loved the TAXI song. I need to go find that.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been officially LOCATED...

    Tonex, huh?

    Nice, especially for this occasion.



    You know I miss you, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @BrownBlogger... Whassup Big Bruh. What do you mean you have been officially located? You've never bashed me over my choices. Take note, a respectful difference of choices and opinions does not constitute a hate and disdain for me or my decisions and vice versa. I respect you, you respect me. I care for you, you care for me. End of story.

    Tonex has his own isshas. But this happens to be one of my favorite gospel CDs. I came across it in my CD case a couple of weeks ago and have been listening to it. I don't stand in judgement of the man or anyone else. He makes great music that I can relate to. Period.

    I miss you too, mayne!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Serenity_23... You said what is key: you loved the fellowship, the members and you learned a lot. I am sure much of what you learned has shaped who you are. THAT is what is key. There's some odd assumption that you go to a church because of the Pastor. It's a little deeper than that. Hmmm.

    @Cyncere... Been thinking of you. Holler my way if you need to talk (I'll DM my phone number to you on twitter- use if you need; I am a good listener).

    @Jennifer... Man... Tonex's first CD. It left me speechless. He wasn't perfect. The ebb and the flow, the internal dilemmas. I could relate. WOW. VERY good music and subject matter indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The locate thang... I was being facetious.

    But you already knew that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Green Eyed Bandit7:15:00 AM

    Thanks Lee, Cyncere post from earlier this week summed up exactly how I feel. Your post on the matter shows exactly why you are one of my tomorrow people (you remember 1 of the messages from my spiritual daddy). That is exactly what he has been to me for the past 14 years my spiritual father and not my God. I think that is one of the main problems. People forget pastors are people not gods. They make mistakes like everyone else. Is my spiritual father guilty of these allegations? In my heart of hearts, I don't believe it. Did he give these young men money, cars, clothes, and pay tuition? Probably so. He has done the same for many people (male and females) without any expectations other than to use the gifts to better yourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Brown Blogger... dude, you know, I just have to watch your facetious tail, make sure me and u are okay and got an understanding...

    @TGIF... I think the major problem throughout the years in the black community is that people put their pastors on the same level as God, and that is just wrong. As a result, people forget that pastors are human and subject to failure like everyone else. They are held in higher accountability, as they are in charge of many, but that is as far as that goes.

    Yes, Cyncere did an excellent job as a member, expressing her feelings. I feel that Bishop is only accountable to God and his members, and not us nosy folk on the outside. Any which way things go on Sunday at your services, hold strong to your faith, as it has and will continue to take you far.

    And my prayers are with you all...

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!