Monday, September 27, 2010

A Most Useful Monday Morning

Monday!

*Doing BIG cartwheels*

The current temperature in the ATL is 65 degrees.

The current time is 7:00 AM

Oscar-Tyrone is laying here on the bed, staring at me, wanting to be rubbed. Throwing him in a headlock usually gets him out of my face. I'll leave him alone and just let him... stare.

I slept pretty good last night. Heck, I don't even remember going to bed. That's how I like it.

My weekend. I had a very nice weekend. It was very laid back.

On Friday night, I had my Women of Color Writer's Workshop. The usual crew wasn't there, and there was a little more erotica than I care for, but you know me, nothing really bothers me. I think for myself, I just want people to be themselves. Period. That's all I want.

I have a couple pieces for blog, so I'm happy about that.

Saturday, I didn't do much but the usual at home. I didn't even leave the house.

Sunday, I had a very good Financial Freedom Fighters meeting. Man, we haven't met since like, June or something, which is toooooo long. We spent a good couple of hours talking about where we are financially, any particular setbacks, and where we want to be for the rest of the year. We're doing another 21 day financial fast in early November, and I'm extremely happy about that. For me, doing it back in April helped so much, and set in stone a couple of habit changes that are still ongoing.

The funniest thing for me was that on Friday evening, my workshop leader Dawn and I talked until well after midnight about her financial goals, and she wanted my thoughts on it. I told her how I felt, made some suggestions, and went on home.

Well, at our Triple F Possee meeting, she talked of her goals and her discussion of such with her accountability partner about it all. And I'm sitting there thinking "Who is her accountability partner? That person is pretty good."

Turns out that it was me. I forgot we were assigned accountability partners back in January, and we were put together. LOL

You should've seen my surprise. You should've heard me hollering repeatedly "I DID SOMETHING USEFUL!"

LOL!

I suck as an accountability partner in any area. And it's one of those things where it's probably one of my idiosyncracies. I HATE bothering people, and if you expect me to fuss at you for not doing what you gotta do, forget about it. It's just not me. You will rarely find me doing any accountability centered group-like activities. I know in Finance group, you need to call me if you wanna talk. I ain't calling you, and I don't do anything where I need my accountability partner to swing in like superman and help. (I'm rather boring financially. I'm not running out to get that hot new purse, or that fabulous pair of heels).

So it was GREAT to be useful in that sense this weekend, without even knowing it.

As always with my activities, I enjoyed getting together with the ladies and the fellowship. (And in the case of my writing workshop, there's one guy in our midst, lol. I'm glad he's comfortable enough to join us, as he brings an interesting dynamic to our group). It is all such a reprieve from the worries of my day. And it's one of those things that goes in the "truly important" category of my life.

Now, what I really liked about this weekend was that there was not a lot of hard errand running. Most times, my weekends include such. Over the past year, I've been trying to spread that out over the week. Only because I want my weekend free for more rest and relaxation.

The only errand I ran was to my pharmacy last night. It's funny to me now that the pharmacists know's my name. And she was like you've been coming here for years. She's right. I hit them up once or twice a month on average.

I was looking at her thinking while chatting with her, I hope that ain't the case someday.

Anyway, last month, I went to pick up some meds and she was having a bad day, one of them "bust out crying" type of days that we as women have, and I had to encourage her.

She remembered our quick interaction last month, and I spent a few moments talking to her yesterday, telling her that I understood, because I had a HORRIBLE, most horribly depressing tear filled summer. I took a little time to explain to her that whatever we are facing is temporary, and we will be better for it, and we will be okay.

So I got my medicine, did a little grocery shopping (I am out of baby green salad, man!), and left.

I remember thinking to myself in the parking lot "I DID SOMETHING USEFUL!"

That made me happy.

This was a trying weekend. Sensationalistic, even. Big scurry of our feet towards scandal. Our fingers pointing, laughing, joking. Our nosiness was at an all time high.

I know, in speaking face-to-face to a New Birth member this weekend, that from me, there was no jeering, pointing and laughing, no bashing, no hate for their pastor...

Only concern for my friend's feelings, and my undying support of my friend. I need for that friend's faith in God to stay strong, so that friend can continue to be a powerful influence in the life of myself and others.

And they had to hear me holler CLEARLY that I am NOT a member of their church, that is not my pastor, and all of that is between them.

I'm just one more nosy joker, with an opinion about something that has nothing to do with me. That is all.

But I was so happy in the midst of it all, I did good things this weekend.

I WAS USEFUL.

And I ask you, in the midst of it all, were you useful in someone's life? You help or encourage someone this weekend? Did you sow into someone's heart and spirit this weekend?

If not... well, check your priorities, alright?

That's all I'm saying. Check your priorities.

Carry that thought into the week.

Heck, 75% of the year is over.

Carry that thought into the remainder of the year.

I know I will.

I learned after this past week, I know that it is truly essential.

There are people out there who you will cross paths with and you're one of the pieces of the their life's puzzle.

Ponder that. Concentrate on that.

Believe That.

With that said, you have a great week. On purpose.

3 comments:

  1. This part right here "I'm just one more nosy joker, with an opinion about something that has nothing to do with me. That is all." If everybody could grasp that. Somethings have nothign at all to do with us and yet we get so emotionally involved in them and I'm left asking myself "WHY?"

    Did I offer any kind words thsi weekend? Hmmm. The only person I can say I offered advice/kind words, encouragement was someone who stopped me asking about my hair..

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Serenity_23... Oh come on honey... We are TRAINED in this. It's sensational. Something more sensational will happen before the year is out, and we'll all be scurrying over, forming our opinions, squaring off and tripping out.

    We are more like roaches than I care to even imagine. Sigh.

    For some reason, being useful this weekend meant something more to me. Not sure why. Probably because I take that type of thing for granted. And I shouldn't.

    You and that MAD MAD hair of yours! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Green Eyed Bandit10:58:00 PM

    Your post was on point as usual. This morning I had a crystal clear example on how short life is and how we waste so much time on BS and things that really does not concern us. One of my student's mother was in a fatal car accident on Saturday night. The mom was just at the school helping with decorating for homecoming and now she is gone! This child with 3 brothers are left motherless while the world was busy waiting for the next bit of messiness/gossip/foolishness. It took everything in me not to cry as soon as a read that email about my student's mom.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!