Monday, September 13, 2010

"The Pill"

A very nice piece by my workshop moderator, Dawn. Enjoy...

The Pill

by Dawn E. Moore

It seemed like a good idea
The pill.
Everyone said I needed it,
The pill.
It would help me keep from going backwards, back there
But no one said the pill was a curse , a nightmare.
I went from being dependent on him
To being dependent on it.
At least with him there was laughter,
Hand holding
Spooning.
Now there is a
Schedule
Cold water
Chalky taste
And fear.
What happens without the pill?
Will I move multi directional experiencing life?
Will I laugh and cry,
Dance and sing while plotting your murder?
Chronic, terminal, hospice.
Give me acute, fast, sudden.
Give me colorful dreams
In a realistic world with passion
Pause
And a breeze that lifts my skirt
Displaying my bare ass as it tickles my ears
Trying desperately to blow my hair.
But please don’t give me the pill.
It makes me flat
A monotone life.
I know I have memories of vibrant times.
Of ups and downs
I see them when I close my eyes
I dream in 3D
Where I can touch those around me.


From September 8, 2010 Women of Color Writing Workshop. Writing Prompt: We were each given a pill (each of us had a different type, differing in shape and color), and wrote about it for 10 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome.
    I wish I was part of this workshop, even if I am the wrong gender.

    Blessings to you,
    SLC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool, but If I see your ass dancing and signing I'm going to have to take you down okay pumpkin?

    Go

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!