Thursday, September 16, 2010

"I Choose"

Today I choose.

I choose to love you. Just the way you are.

Because you love me. Just the way I am.

I choose to leave the baggage, as old and ugly and heavy as it is. . .

At the front door.

No, on the front lawn.

No, in the middle of the street, where some car,

No, some Mack truck can hit it and crush it

And drag it a few miles down the road

Where I won’t be drawn to it, to the very comfort of it,

Even though the burden of carrying it,

Makes my back ache, my shoulders sag,

Makes my journey slow.

No, I choose to love you. As you are.

With all your flaws, the good, the bad,

The happy, the sad.

I'm all in. I'm fully vested.

For I choose you.


It is you I choose.





From September 10, 2010 Women of Color Workshop. Writing prompt: Write for 10 minutes on the prompt "I choose"

6 comments:

  1. I like it! You're a wonderful writer in case you haven't been told lately!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Not so Anon... Thank you kindly, hon. Always good to hear that my future POTUS likes something I post up... Hope you are feeling okay after the surgery. Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice...Nice... (nodding my heading and snapping my fingers the way I've seen them do on t.v. @ those poetry readings)...This should be read out loud...and contemplated...with a little sip of wine and some smooth lite jazz playing in the background...

    SLAP ME BACK... I'm at work!!! LOL!

    Lovely written word...lovely...might read it to the husband tonight...might start a little something on the home front...yeah I'm feelin' it...LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooops! I'm in a stupor... meant "nodding my HEAD and SNAPPING my fingers..." Earth to Cyncere...Earth to Cyncere...come back...come baaaack! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like, I like. I wonder what encouraged this piece :)

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!