Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Porky on the Grill

Going down to the country always means good eating.

And with Cowgirl Cre's people, they will always have ribs on the grill.

But I've never been able to catch any of the ribs on the grill. They are always done before I get there.

This year, I heard they grilled 18 slabs of ribs the day before we got there.

With that said, I saw Uncle Cre and Cousin Cre perusing the grill, as if they were barbequing something else.

I decided to walk over and be nosy.


I saw something I never expected to see.

A whole pig, head and all, on the grill.





For some reason, I thought they'd throw that head away. Apparently not.

Uncle Cre was happy to pose with the beloved pig.


He was constantly over in the grill, trying to push and turn the hog...


Then he got to a point where he was trying to tare it apart.



I was all in the way. I know he had to be like "I wish this girl would go sit down somewhere so we can get this done."

The pig was finally done, and the taring down began.



They put everything on a nearby table, and commence to chopping with axes.







The carving of the head gave me the heebie-geebies. Once they looked like they were about to hit the brain, I got the heck on.



Finished product: a whole mess of chopped pork.


I didn't have any... didn't want any.

Something about seeing a whole animal laid out in a grill, well, that's a little creepy.

And it shocked me to see the whole thing getting chopped up. For some reason, I thought that there would be a ham section, some rib slabs, etc. Nope, they just chopped the whole thing up.

I wish I could've been there when they actually open and gutted the hog. That would have been interesting!

*lee fainting from disgust*

No, I think just seeing the pig on the grill was good enough for me.

Good enough for us all!


10 comments:

  1. As much as I like my bacon and pork chops ... seeing these pictures just makes me not want to indulge. Poor piggy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:29:00 AM

    I'm with Chele.. Where in the hell do you even buy a whole pig?
    S23

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm nauseous :( and I love me some pork chop-- My mom is from rural Louisiana -- I suspect they had a pig slaughtered for the festivities...I've been "on the farm" when this happened as matter of fact my educated daddy would purchase a pig for slaughter---my unc's in the country did the pickin' and killin'. I didn't watch the slaugther but knew that they spent a lot of time guttin' the poor thing for those chitterlings, hind parts, chops and feet...yes pig's feet!! Every body got their share--fridge was packed at home...but I never saw it grilled on a pit though...the entire process...just hideous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Chele... look at you! Feeling sorry for the swine! LOL.

    @Serenity... Honey, they are in the country. You can buy a pig, a cow, a deer, whatever.

    I asked how much it costs, and Uncle Cre said 150 dollars. Which isn't bad, really. There was a barbeque restaurant up here in ATL that would sell a whole barbequed pig for 500 dollars.

    And I think they grilled the pig allll night. That's a long time.

    @Cyncere... Awww come on, Cyncere! Man up! It was quite interesting. I think I would've passed out if I could've been there for the actual gutting. YIKES!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh MY! Who knew! Got the heebie jeebies looking at the pics...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:56:00 AM

    I thought my family was country. Wait till I tell some of my family members about grilling a whole pig!

    As much as I love BBQ, I don't think I would have been able to eat it after seeing it on the grill like that. Lawd knows I love some smoked Boston butt. That's the pig's shoulder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. At our family reunion last weekend they roasted a whole pig in the ground. (dug a pit, placed some charcoals in with him wrapped in foil and another fire on top). It cooked all night Friday and they dug it up Saturday. I chose not to eat any, but took plenty of pics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My goodness, that looks like a daggone murder scene!

    (dramatic much?)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like Sheena's family my ex's family dug a pit and put the whole pig in the ground.

    I ate some of the pork barbecue, but I didn't watch any of the prep or see the head beforehand.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok, I really wasn't expecting to see Piggy on the grill like that!!!!LOL. But I bet it was soo good!

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!