Saturday, October 15, 2005

I miss Saturday Morning Cartoons, Part III


I've never been the biggest fan of Looney Tunes...

Every cartoon short had the same plot, whether it surrounded Bugs Bunny, Tweety-Bird, or the Roadrunner...

One character was hungry and trying to catch the other character, who was always on the run... If you really think about it, that was what it was all about...

Every single time.

Like I said, I wasn't the biggest fan of Looney Tunes. But the show use to come on every Saturday morning, and it would stay on for at least two hours...

But Looney Tunes was Mr. Dallas F. Starks, Sr., my late grandfather's favorite cartoon show. He was especially fond of the Wile E. Coyote and Roadrunner segments.


One of my fondest memeories was sitting in my grandparents living room on a Saturday morning watching Wile E. Coyote chase the Roadrunner. I would jump everytime an explosive went off or a boulder would fall. One day (I had to be around the age of six), I told Granddaddy how much I hated the show...

"It's so violent, Grandaddy!" I yelled, after seeing yet another large boulder crush Wile E. Coyote.

"It's just a cartoon, Lee!" he would respond through laughter...


I think that I didn't care much for the Wile E. Coyote/ Roadrunner segments because I thought about the show a little too hard. For example, where did Wile E. Coyote get all of the money to buy all the special gadgets and explosives from the the ACME Company? And if he had money, why didn't he just go somewhere and buy himself something to eat? And why didn't he die when he would blow his own face off, fall off a cliff, or get crushed by a boulder? And every once in a while, he'd hold up a sign. How did he learn to write?



You see what I mean? I thought about the show a little too hard, even at the age of six.

Granddaddy always answered every question with
"It's just a cartoon, Lee!"

Maybe I should have been like my Granddaddy and enjoyed the show for what it was worth...

My grandfather, Dallas F. Starks, Sr., died four years ago this month. I sure do miss him a lot.

I'd give anything to sit down with him and watch an all day marathon of his favorite Wile E. Coyote and Roadrunner shows...

Lord knows I would...

5 comments:

  1. It's amazing how things will remind you of the people you've loved an lost.

    I would give anything to spend one more day/hour/...shoot 10 minutes with my grandparents: to eat of slice of my grandmothers butter cake, to rub my grandfather's feet, to hug them, take in the smell Jergens lotion and that "old person's" soap they used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't this the truth about reminders? Sometimes I'm watching a favorite movie of mine I may not have seen in a while, then I may get sad because it reminds me of the old days, being in school and with friends. I get very sad thinking of friends I'll never see again and such. Another thing that makes me sad is when I watch an old sitcom rerun and the person is dead on the show. I watched about four sitcoms last week and every one of them had someone dead. Then I made the mistake of watching something and Gregory Hines was on there! I still haven't recovered from his death. I really loved Gregory and admired him. I also miss Luther. I was listening to one of his songs the other day and it reminded me of some of my relatives who recently died as well as Luther himself. I nearly cried. Yep, things we see or hear do remind us of what we lost and it comes when you least expect it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Sherri...

    Ahhh... You really brought back memories then, especially with the "old person's soap"! Makes me want to go visit with my Grandma...

    @Stacy-D...

    You got that right... I totally agree with you. I play a CD containing Luther's love songs while I'm at work in the lab sometimes, and I can't believe he's gone. I watched Sandford and Son the other day, and Redd Foxx and Aunt Esther are gone. Even with the Good Times sitcom...Florida Evans is gone...
    I can't even look at a lot of old sitcoms without thinking about who died and when...You know, this means that we are getting old, when we are forming memories of people long gone...

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least we have wonderful memories...those are truly the only things that last...And I loved Wiley...I kept hoping he would catch that daggon roadrunner...and fry him up in some grease...you know Wiley was a black...look at his name...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ DJ Diva...

    You know, I use to hope that the Roadrunner would get caught too (LOL)... And you know Wile E Coyote was a brotha from the hood...

    @ My long lost cousin Marcus (LOL) you already got a twin, we must be cousins or something!!!

    But wasn't that show some craziness? Could you imagine how much it would cost to buy all those rockets and gadgets from ACME Co.? (Okay, I'm thinking a little too hard here!!!)

    The roadrunner was probably a female, i.e., Wile E. Coyote could have spent that money on you, and could have gotten you to read a little poetry to Roadrunner... That'll beat ACME hands down! LOL!!!

    @Khalli 88...

    Yeah, I don't remember too many blacks in the Hanna-Barbera cartoons. Tom and Jerry had that black maid... that's all I remember. And of course the Jetsons had no blacks... Dude, there's no hood in the future!!
    Ha!!! Ha!!! LOL!!

    Yeah, and ACME is the warehouse where the WMD's are stored! (LOL)

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!