Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Character Round-Up Part I: CHARLES...The Leaf Raker

There are a few minor characters running around my hood that I would like to tell you about. Of course none are more interesting than the mayor of my hood, Snake, who, regretfully, is still locked up…

But they are interesting folks, nevertheless…

Now when I first moved over to my hood in the downtown ATL, this tall brother who looked like Bryce Wilson use to knock on my door. Note that I said he LOOKS like Bryce Wilson.

More like a broke down, poor man’s Bryce Wilson. He had the super curly hair, same eyes, same complexion, exact same face, but he didn’t have the high post designer clothes. He wasn’t all shiny, no bling-bling, you know what I mean?

A broke man’s Bryce Wilson.. In a dirty oversized white t-shirt and a pair of baggy pants.

He was very polite and well spoken, though.

“Hi my name is Charles? Can I rake your leaves?”

Now I’d been trained by Snake not to let anyone do my yardwork except for him (Snake).

So I kept telling the dude…

“No thank you,” or
“Come back when I’ve had time to think about it.”

Well, he kept coming back, again… and again… and again…

He would be there when I got home from work, before I could even get my keys out to open the front door…

“Can I rake your leaves?”

I finally approached Mayor Snake about this.

“Snake, there’s a dude who keeps coming over to my house, asking to rake my leaves.”

Snake jumped back like I’d just pulled a gun on him.

“What, LadyLee??” he yelled. “Describe this young man.”

“He’s about six feet tall, dark skinned, skinny. His hair is real curly, like he got a kit in it or something.”

“Oh,” he said with snort and a wave of his hand. “That’s just Charles.”

Like that was suppose to mean something to me.

“So what’s up with him?”

“First of all Ladylee, I’m the only one that’s suppose to cut your grass, wash your car, or rake your leaves for a small fee. You are a valued customer.”

“Negro, I know that! Who is this joker that keep knocking on my door?.”

“Like I said, that’s Charles. He likes to try to run the women of this neighborhood, you see.”

I laughed hard. “Are you serious!?”

Snake nodded. “Yeah, he gets a check every month. So he can do that, you know.”

I was really tripping behind that revelation. The notion that getting a check every month gives one license to run women. Oh my!

But um, that depends on how big of a check it is.

I grabbed Snake by the arm, and spoke real low.

“Dude, how much of a check we talkin’ bout?”

“Oh, I believe seven or eight-hundred dollars a month.”

I almost fell on the ground laughing after he said that.

“What’s so funny, LadyLee? That’s a lot of money!”

“Yeah, to you it is, since you smoke that rock, man. I can’t do NOTHING with that.”

Snake peered at me curiously. “So, girl, how much would it take for you to let him rake your leaves?”

“Oh, Snake, that check has to be at least six to seven thousand dollars a month! At least that much. I can work with that. Dude might be able to rake a few leaves for that amount.”

Snake looked at me liked I’d just whipped out a blade on him. “Oh Lawd!!!"

Anyway, I told Snake to kindly inform Charles that he should never, ever, ever step foot in my yard, ever again, and not to even think about knocking on my door asking to rake my leaves!

It is not going down, boo.

I’ve seen him occasionally, but not much lately. He gives me a smile and a wave. I give him a head nod. But he hasn’t knocked on my door since my talk with the mayor.

I guess he has figured out one thing:

He won’t be raking Ladylee’s leaves.

No way, no how. That’s for sure.

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:46:00 PM

    Is "raking the leaves" a euphamism for something else that I don't really want to know about? I've heard many-a-thing in my day, but "Baby, let me rake your leaves" is new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @LBiggie...

    Yeah that was a new one on me too...

    ...and what has my head spinning is that dude thought just because he get a check every month that he thought he could run the unattached women of the hood (as legend has it)...

    No, dude would not be "raking the leaves" over my way... LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same question ... is 'raking leaves' raking leaving or is 'raking leaves' tapping that booty? Dang, oldgirl ... you straight up in the hood, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ that OG Chele...

    You tell me, man... I think "raking leaves" eventually means... "Raking them leaves, baby!!!"

    LOL!! only in the hood!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can not believe that's his way of scouting out women to attach himself to. With that little check you know he gon' need some help at some point during the month! What's really sad is that he even has a possibility of picking somebody up! Obviously too many women have allowed him to "rake their leaves" and now his confidence is at an all time high that he can rake anyone's "yard". Well you win some, you lose some :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm mad you wanted to know how much that man's check was. You should have known it wasn't up to your level by the fact that he was looking to rake leaves to supplement his income. And now that Snake is in lockdown, you might want to call that man over and "put him to work."

    ReplyDelete
  7. After reading this I'm tripping, cracking up really! That Snake "The Mayor" is the ultimate informer. But raking leaves, thats new to me too. In the part of the metro ATL that I live in, raking leaves is just that. I probably would have took old boy at his word! Ain't I green!! (smile)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have no leaves...but you know something? You stay with a dude in the yard...what's up with that?

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Chosen... See, I want to know who these women are, who are all impressed by his so called monthly check. Humph.

    Thanx for stopping by my spot, chosen!

    @Serenity 23, the Fiery headed Chicken...

    Oh come off it, S23!!!! You KNOW you would have asked the same question... I would have had to investigate old boy if he had a good six- or seven- thousand check.

    Really, though.

    Shorty, now I know you... you would have given him a second look if that check was a 1000 bucks a month... wouldn't you!

    Don't hate!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous10:59:00 AM

    Hey Lee: You know I don't comment. But I got to get at you about this one.

    I thought I taught you better than that, baby! I would have used up Charles to death. "Hold up now, player. This front yard look good. But, you need to rake that back yard. You can come on in the house next time, but you need to go and finish this up!" Charles wouldn't be coming on my street no more. If you going to rake leaves, then player, that's what you are going to do: RAKE LEAVES!!!!! Game recognize game, baby. "And Charles, you cash your check today? Let me hold some of that money for my groceries. No you can't come in the house today. Make yourself useful and trim those shrubs or something."

    Learn from the master, Lee. I thought I taught you a thing or two during our friendship!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @LCBTF...

    Mayne, I miss Snake so much... he was so good for information! Why, we were just looking up his pics and arrest record on the Georgia Dept of Corrections website... ~sigh~

    Raking leaves will never mean the same thing to me ever again.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    @DJ DIVA...

    *Ladylee bumping the turntables HARD while DJ DIVA is in the midst of pulling off the coldest transformer scratch of her freakin' life!!*

    ...you busta

    ReplyDelete
  12. @LadyTee...

    Yeah, you nut... leave it up to you to LITERALLY get your leaves raked, AND get some cash for your groceries... Poor Charles... that dude will be hiding in bushes and behind trees everytime he saw your Buick coming over the hill!!! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!