Friday, May 05, 2006

Writing Progress... Sweet Heat Chapters 25-27



I happen to see some Golden Flake Barbeque "Sweet Heat" Potato Chips in a bootleg grocery store in my hood. I would go up there and get some more of those chips if it wasn't for them bustas scanning my debit card and telling me that it was rejected. (Ladylee keeps major bread in the bank, you see!) After straight going off on the cashier, she looked at my card... and noticed that it wasn't a food stamp EBT card...

"Oops, my bad, honey... thought that was a food stamp card! I'm sorry!"

I promised myself I would never go in that damn store again...

So I have that one bag of "Sweet Heat" chips as a souvenir. It is sitting on the bookcase in my bedroom.

Wow... I looked back and I see that I have not done a writing progress update since mid-January ("Writing Progress-Chapter 24 "The Perfect Ending")...

I am being a lazy oldgirl.

First of all, that blogger guru The "LBigga" a.k.a. "LBeezy" a.k.a. "Lil Bit" a.k.a. "Ms. Put some stank on it" has done me the HONOR of taking a look at my manuscript, and has barreled through 22 chapters, some 300 pages, in the last 3 days... She has been sending some interesting emails, and offering her expertise.... Asking a lot of questions that are making this oldgirl THINK. So that makes me happy, and has snatched me out of some of my laziness...

*Ladylee frantically searching her pockets for an Original Oldgirl-in-Training card for that gal*

Another funny note... My girl Gigi, a critiquer who was displaced by Hurricane 'Trina, sent an email... I hadn't heard from her in a minute...

"Hey girl, I'm alright... how's that book coming? You got some more chapters??"

Um, yeah, Gigi... emailed those to you, hon.

Now Chapter 24 could've been the end of the book. All the ladies in the place thought that was the perfect ending. But it was on some old Snow White/Cinderella tip. And you know I can't have that!

But, I've only banged out 3 chapters since mid-January. The Shame.

I am at one of those lull points, where I have to hook back into some action in the book that I've been trying to get into. Apparently I haven't developed the skill of saying what I say in 40 pages in only one page, so I have been running around in the wilderness for a minute. But I think I am back on track... A lot of what is going on in chapter 27 is going to be snatched out and turned into a short story or novella...

Now my critiuqers didn't like these chapters at all (save for one- Detroit Mec-Mec, who is my #1 fan), and I wasn't all that fond of them either... They are just some filler to get me to where I need to go, albeit they have information in them that will become important later on. I tried to explain this to my 2 bootleg "Work for free" editors "Sunshine" and "Old mean ass Cynthia", but they both just looked at me and walked away...

You bustas... that's why ya'll work for free.

Now the issha is that I needed to hand out chapters 25-29 or 30 together as a group so it would all make more sense and come together...

But Nooooooooooooo!!! Negroes were yanking on an oldgirl's shirt sleeve!!!

I got tired of walking down the hall at work, minding my own bizness, and having to hear...

Where are my Chapters??

I even got hemmed up in the bathroom once... Dang...

So there you have it... it was all a little dull. But hint, a couple of key things happened in that boriness that will be key later... LOL!!

Oh, and I have already written the ending. I am having to keep an eye on my laptop, because that editor name Sunshine likes to steal, from what I hear.

But peeps, beware... a whole lot of stuff is about to happen real fast in these upcoming chapters.

So hold on to your weaves...

Stay tuned!!

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:18:00 AM

    My weave is STILL cocked to the side after reading 22 chapters....kicking myself for not emailing chapters 23-25 to my hotmail account. I guess that I figured that the work day goes by faster when I have something interesting to read. Yes S23, you holier than thou, slave-driving, Bible thumping fiery-headed chicken...something interesting besides Numbers and Deuteronomy.

    I STILL hate Vaughn...but I shall make a plea again. If there shall be a "LB's gubment-name" in the book, I REALLY want to sleep with Sam Sam...and perhaps try out Kevin, since Vaughn said that he can lay pipe. But then again, he likes to lay pipe and smoke pipe, so I might have to leave that alone. Oh, and you can throw in a cat fight between me and Tam, b/c for some reason...I don't care for that broad either. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Straighten your weave, LBigga... and thanks for your help! And no, you may not sleep with any of the mens in the book... except T-Love... LOL!!

    Thanx again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This process can be tedious as hell but once the product is complete ... oh the joy! I envy you. I've been working on characters and an outline for months. I tried to start the first chapter but it's just not flowing ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Real life has totally destroyed all of the deadlines I set for myself, so I know about the non-process...

    And I grew all this hair for nothing? Nothing worse than an man with the horsehide...

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Chele... you Maverick, come on and get it done! I can't wait for your next novel... I am the OG's #1 FAN!!!

    You know, I can now say I fully appreciate what you published writers do... I thought you just sat down and cranked out a whole novel in a couple of weekends... NOT!!

    @Hassan... get back on the ball, my brotha!!!

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!