Friday, September 14, 2007

Free!

So, I have completed my personal goal of posting all week long. Good for me! And this is the last post of my week long journey!

Will I do it again? Would love to if I wasn't so doggone longwinded!

Now...

Ya'll remember awhile back that I mentioned that I'm in a street gang...

THE TRIPLE F POSSE, a.k.a. "The Financial Freedom Fighters"

Financial Freedom Fighters... ACTIVATE!

We even have gang signs, as lovingly demonstrated below by my brother Milk and Cookies.



Yeah, they're some strange gang signs, but uh... whatever. FFF Possee in full effect, ya'll!!

I am a member of a book club that has several offshoot groups. I LOVE this, as there are lots of things going on that fulfill needs in my life. One of the best is the finances group. We get together and talk about our finances, etc. Mind you, this group started off with over 20 women, but now, it's down to 7. As you can see we are sticking in there. I myself have paid off 30.5% of my debt, and have a goal of 40% by the end of the year. So it is helping, ya know?

But our leader, Erica, became debt free (minus the mortgage), on August 4th. No credit card bills, no car payments... all that ish PAID OFF.

Get down Erica!!!

She is a great listener, is nonjudgmental, and tried to hip me back in January on what I need to do to pay things off. Of course, I was hardheaded as hell about some radical things. I whined alot. I know she wanted to pimp slap me, but she didn't. She just smiled, and kept it moving. I admitted to her in June that if I would've did what she said, well, I would've been debt-free my ownself! HUMPH.

That's alright. She is a shining example of where I want to be financially. And that right there is enough to make this Oldgirl get her butt in gear.

Really though.

Man, I was so happy for her that I sat down and wrote a short story. I wrote it in 10 minutes, and have spent about that much time editing it, so uh... 'tis a bit rough, but lovely nonetheless!

So here's the story I gave Erica for her Freedom day!!

"My Name is FREE"

LadyLee was standing outside one sunny Saturday afternoon, arguing with one of the locals over the price for cutting her front lawn. He’d just finished and she was counting out a bunch of one dollar bills into his hand, when she noticed flashing blue and red lights.

Policemen on motorcycles were lining the street.

“What’s this all about?” LadyLee asked. She couldn’t have this right now. She was hosting the Financial Freedom Fighters meeting, and the ladies would be arriving at any moment. She lived in the hood, and cops were the norm, but this was a bit over the top.

The local shrugged. “They must be lookin’ for somebody. And don’t pay them no mind. You just keep counting out my money.”

LadyLee finished counting out the money. They stood there and watched as one of the policemen hopped out of his car and sat out bright orange cones at the end of the street to block it off.

A long white limo slowly slinked up the street. It came to a slow stop in front of LadyLee’s house.

“Who that is?” the local asked.

LadyLee squinted. “I don’t know, man.”

The limo driver jumped out of the car and ran and opened the back door.

A stocking clad leg emerged from the car. A white stiletto shoe hit the ground hard.

“Oooh, who is that?” the local asked again.

“Shut up,” LadyLee hissed.

The limo driver held out his hand, and grabbed the hand of whoever was in the car. Must’ve been somebody rich, because there were diamond rings on every finger. LadyLee shielded her eyes from the bright sparkle produced by the sun’s reflection off the rings.

Music began to play. LadyLee couldn't quite name the song, but it was so Ol' school Diana Ross, possiblyWho’s the Boss or I’m Coming Out.

“Dang, whoever that is got their own theme music,” LadyLee whispered.

The local began popping his fingers to the beat and dancing. LadyLee just stood there and watched.

The woman, dressed head to toe in a white jumpsuit, slid out of the car and the limo driver stepped out of the way. She held her hand in the air, obviously waiting for something. The limo driver removed a single cigarette from his breast pocket, and placed it in a slim cigarette holder. The woman took it from him, raised it to her bright red lips and took a long puff. She exhaled, expelling perfect smoke rings into the air.

“That chick right there sho nuff bad,” the local yelled.

LadyLee elbowed him in the side.“Shut the hell up, man."

The woman moved out of the way so that the limo driver could close the door. But instead, he reached inside the limo and retrieved a long white mink coat. She stood tall as he draped it over her shoulders. He placed a matching fur hat on her head.

“Who in they right mind would put on a hot ass fur coat and hat in hundred degree weather?”

“Shut up!” Lee said again, not taking her eyes off of what had to be royalty.

The woman slowly walked down the driveway towards Ladylee and the local. Even though it was hot, the woman was calm, cool, and collected. Not one drop of sweat was on her perfectly made up face.

LadyLee swallowed hard. Didn’t know what to say. This lady looked familiar, but LadyLee couldn’t place her. It looked like Erica, the leader of the Financial Freedom Posse, but she wasn’t sure.

“What your name is?” the local blurted. LadyLee didn’t scold him this time. She wanted to know who this rich woman was, too.

The lady took her time answering. She took another long puff from the cigarette. She exhaled gray smoke into their faces.

“My name is,” she began. She took another long draw from her cigarette.

"My name is FREE," she exhaled.

“Hunh?” LadyLee aksed.

She took another drag of the cigarette and blew smoke into LadyLee’s face. Wind blew through the tall pine trees. It was as if the trees were applauding this woman.

“My name is FREE,” she repeated. “As in FINANCIALLY FREE. DEBT FREE.”

The local smiled hard. "Go on, gal! You know you bad!"

LadyLee didn't say a word. LadyLee bowed so hard that her lips kissed the ground.

The END.

Congratulations Erica! I hope to wear my fur coat in the hot sun and be just as FREE as you have become!

3 comments:

  1. Bravo! You had me holdin' on until the very end. I like FREE, and want to be her someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:52:00 PM

    Thank you so much Alesia. It is an honor to be the leader of such a dynamic group of women called the FFF posse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:21:00 PM

    Way to go Erica. Thanks for being such a great Leader :) LadyLee-thanks for all the great short stories.. You the BOMB gurl.....

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!