Friday, June 19, 2020

Friday Freestyles - The Juneteenth 2020 Edition

Happy Juneteenth to you!


Come on down to the House of LadyLee Virtual Cookout.

We having ourselves a low country boil...



No need to stick your hand off in the pot. Everything is laid out on the table on some black trash bags.

We have some extra over in the big aluminum pan in the kitchen.


We have pastry items for desert... because nobody wanted to be bothered with baking a cake.


We are FREE. Well somewhat... Still a lot of systematic stuff going on. But we're getting there...

BLACK LIVES MIGHT MATTER!!

You know, with all that's going on, the White Folks have discovered that Juneteenth exists. Why, even the president said yesterday that nobody knew about Juneteenth and that he made it popular.

*crickets*

This is pretty much somewhat almost equivalent to Columbus discovering America.
Hmm.

Anyway, I first learned about Juneteenth back in 1992. In fact, one of my white friends was all excited about some festival she was attending. She said it was a Juneteeth celebration, and she looked at me sideways when I told her I hadn't heard of it. Once we talked about it, I told her I might go just to have a look. And I would look for her.

Well, I told a classmate (I was in grad school at the time), and we went. The big Juneteenth celebration was in Grant Park, the Park next to the Atlanta Zoo, about a mile from where I live now.

We had a good time. There was food, art, and all kinds of exhibits...

And there was a main stage.

And who were the performers on that main stage:

Parliament Funkadelic and The Ohio Players.

Man...when I tell you I had a GREAT time? I had a great time!

I looked out for the chick that told me about it. I didn't see her. Not sure I could have found her in a crowd of at least 5000 people.

I spoke with her that next week about it.

"Girl, we were there half day. It was good!"
"I was there, too," she said. "We were up front by the stage."

LOL

So, what was that? 1992? That was 28 years ago! Doesn't feel that long ago.

But the moral of the story. Just because the mainstream populous doesn't know about it doesn't mean it doesn't mean anything.

But hey, now, all of a sudden, some major companies are making it a paid holiday.

Good.

I am a gub'ment employee, and they gave us 1 hour of early dismissal.

Good.

Song of the Week. So the LGBT had a major victory in the Supreme court this week.


They have the right to not be discriminated against on the job. And I think the president was trying to cut off some health care rights or something. ALL that got kicked to the curb!

I am so lost on this. This my thing: How you gonna discriminate against people who are citizens of this country and pay taxes? Pay taxes! I feel like if certain groups don't have equal rights, then they shouldn't be required to pay taxes. Period.

Oh, but the USA gonna get their money, tho.

Anyway, this isn't a rant... this is Song of the Week. My favorite LGBT song "Mighty Real" by Sylvester.



That song came out when I was 8 or 9 years old. I remember stopping everything when that song came on. I would get up and run and dance. That was the song! It makes me think more of the LGBT these days, though.

Quote of the Week. One from our beloved president concerning the testing for coronavirus.

"If we stop testing right now... we would have fewer cases [of the coronavirus]."

*blink blink*

I guess that could be true. Kind of like if we stop giving pregnancy tests, we would have fewer pregnancies.

Oh ok... I see what we did there. Hmm. That's call word play!

And ya'll gonna go to a big azz rally tomorrow in Oklahoma... inside a big center... no masks... laughing, hollering and spitting... no social distancing at all.

Ok. Let me know how that works out for you. My hope and prayer is that there is nary a new case of covid stemming from that. At least they could've had it outside. But hey, this may be a social experiment. But it all feels a bit... Jim Joneish to me.

That's it for my Friday Freestyles!

There's new folks at the ai.r.bn.b next door.  Amazon shows that the ink pens I ordered are out in my mailbox. I think I will go check the mail and spy on the folks next door.

LOL!

Have a great Juneteenth weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!