Monday, September 12, 2005

OLDGIRL#2 - Special Shout Out!!!



I'd like to take a moment to give a special shout out to a good friend of mine, "Lady K", i.e., Oldgirl #2 !!

What's up, Oldgirrrllll?!!!!!!

Folks keep asking me, "Ladylee, what's up with this 'oldgirl' tag?"

It started some fifteen years ago in graduate school. I walked into the first day of the Chemistry Orientation and saw that I was the only black person in the room. This pissed me off for something terrible. I made friends pretty quick, though. But I became friends with one girl in particular, a hispanic girl we'll just call "Lady K".

There were a few black girls that entered our program that next year. One sister in particular could not remember names to save her life. She referred to everyone, including professors, as "Oldgirl" or "Oldboy". "Lady K" and I thought this was confusing, yet at the same time, hilarious!

Lady K and I were always looking for new and interesting ways of entertaining ourselves during that depressing and stressful time, so we started calling each other "Oldgirl". (I know... pretty lame, hunh?) If we saw each other on opposite ends of the hall or anywhere on campus we would yell "Oldgirrrlll!" (I must tell you that this really annoyed people in our immediate vicinity!)

After a while, we even got over into some top secret 007 type craziness. For example, when we were referring to our men, it became Oldboy#1, Oldboy#2, etc. This was at a time when the internet and the whole idea of email was just beginning. We had to use code words... you never knew who was reading this new technology known as email!

Anyway, we still call each other "Oldgirl" to this very day.. We probably use it a million times when we talk. It's very strange for us to call each other by our real names.

Lame isn't it? I know it is. But it was US. It was our complex thing, doggonit!!!

So Oldgirl#2, one of the Original Oldgirls, I just want to give you a special shout out and let you know I'm thinking of you! I've been trying to call you up in Baton Rouge, but the phone lines are jammed, and I haven't been able to get through. I know you're okay because you've been reading my blog and leaving comments...

I thought about you when I was driving home from work on Friday afternoon. I heard one of your FAVORITE songs on the radio. You loved your country music, being that you were from Oklahoma and all, but you started hanging around me and quickly began liking some of that booty club Miami and Southern bass music, didn't you Oldgirl?

You remember this????

Come on baby... Kick them daisies
Look at them girls with the daisy dukes on...

(I want cha to)
Look at them girls with the daisy dukes on...

(Everybody)
Look at them girls with the daisy dukes on...

(I want cha to)
Look at them girls with the daisy dukes on...

You use to lose your freaking mind when this song came on the radio!!!!

I swear, this had to be the lamest song in the world. I laughed out loud when I heard it the other day. You use to love it. And you use to love that "Wiggle, Wiggle, Wiggle" song too. Geez!!!

So Olgirl#2, just wanted you to know that I was thinking of you. I wanted to give you a little throw back to our grad school days. I miss you. And I miss our B&B (Bitch and Beer) Tuesdays at Jaggers Pub.


There was nothing better than sitting around crying in our beer, was there?

So take care, Oldgirl...

Ladylee

No comments:

Post a Comment

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!