Wednesday, March 08, 2006

My Smile Box

(note: I've been trying to put a post up for the past couple of days, but blogger will not let me upload my photos! So I will post something from my personal thoughts and diaries until the situation is corrected...)


I have a "Smile Box" on my desk at work...


The "Smile box" was given to me and my book club sisters by our book club president. We are suppose to keep the "Smile Box" on our desks at work. We were instructed to place postive affirmations, scriptures, etc., in the box, and whenever some B.S. pops off at work, we're suppose to go straight to our "Smile Box", open it, and spend a little time with those positive words that uplift us.

So here are a few of the contents in my "Smile box":

"It is NOT me!"

"I am NOT defined by my job!"

"I cannot control other people's motives. I just need to be concerned with being a good custodian of my own life."

"God does not consult my past to determine my future."

And a couple of my favorite scriptures:

Proverbs 13:20 (MES) Become wise by walking with the wise . Hang out with fools and watch your life fall to pieces.

Hebrews 13:5 (AMP) For He God Himself has said I will not in any way fail you nor give you up nor leave you without support. I will not, I will not, I will not in any degree leave you helpless nor forsake nor let you down (relax my hold on you)! Assuredly not!

I like this idea. I open it everyday, if only for a few minutes. Sometimes I just need a little something to keep my spirits up...

Now an important question:


If you had a "smile box", what would it contain? What would you put in it that would uplift you, make you think differently about a difficult situation, or make your day a little brighter?

7 comments:

  1. I don't have a box but I do tack different quotes on the walls of my cubicle:

    "Never allow someone to be your priority, when you are merely their option"

    "The jump is so frightening between where I am and where I want to be...because of all I may become, I will close my eyes and leap!"

    "Why Older Chicks Rule by Andy Rooney" (list of reasons why 40-something women are da bomb!!)

    "LETGO system - a system for letting go of the need to control others"

    A butterfly - which for me, represents freedom

    Photos of my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea of this, and if I had a desk at work, I'd follow suit! Anyway here are some of the things I chant as mantras to myself whenever some fool [other than me]blocks my path:

    **It's not the breaths you take, but the things that take your breath away that make
    life worthwhile!

    -then I take a deep breath,and look for something to take my breath away...not usually hard to find for a simple pleasures girl like myself ;)

    **This TOO shall pass...

    -need I say more

    **"X" number of years ago, some mother held even you in her arms and dreamed of the wonderful things you would do...could she have been more wrong! One disappointed Mother is enough and you will NOT steal my joy...PEACE!

    -this usually snaps me out of the "I would give anything to bust your head to the grey matter" syndrome. What? Can't I have a moment?

    Peace and Love ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ chele... love them all, but I'm REALLY digging "Never allow someone to be your priority, whey you are merely their option"! OH MY!! I may have to add that one to MY box!

    @ That Oldgirl Sharon... those were good ones too! But um... the syndrome of "I would give anything to bust your head to the grey matter"... I too have felt that way! LOL LOL LOL!!! I didn't know you could step away from your eloquence!! LOL LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to start a book club in my area but since I don’t like to read, I knew it wouldn’t work out (don’t laugh, I’m serious – smile).

    Proverbs 13:20 sounds just like what my mom used to tell me so many times when I was growing up and in my early 20’s.

    The smile box is a great idea. Now I can definitely share this with my friends and coworkers. In mine I would put positive affirmations and goals that I have. Who knows what else might end up in there, but thanks for the wonderful idea. I could even make one for all of my sisters. This is GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine would be simple. I would have the book of Proverbs and probably "The Prayers That Avail Much".

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Dr. Nic...

    You...

    Starting a book club...

    And you always talking about how you don't read...

    STOP IT, I SAY!

    LOL

    Glad you like the smile box idea... I thought it to be quite hokey at first, but it is working out well...

    @S23...

    Dang girl... i asked what you would put in your smile box... NOT what are the two things you would take with you to a remote desert island! (LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think everybody ought to browse on it.
    website

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!