Friday, March 17, 2006

Book Review - Michele Matthews' Confessions of a Beautiful Woman


No...

This isn't a post about Usher...

I was trying to download the cover to Michele Matthews Confessions of A Beautiful Woman, and Blogger wasn't having it...

Ya'll know how bi-yotchy Blogger gets sometimes!

So I went and got the next best thing... Usher's Confessions album (or poster)...


Close your eyes and imagine a woman sitting there instead, looking all thoughtful, like she has some confessions she's just gotta get out...

Okay, back to the discussion at hand...

I attended a reading in early February given by none other than novelist Pearl Cleage. I am a big fan of her books, as I have read them all, sometimes twice, but this particular reading wasn't from her novels...

It was a reading of some of her essays and one of her poems.

Pearl spoke of her thoughts and feelings on different subject matters...

I, Ladylee, found all of this a bit intriguing... and I wanted to find more books by women expressing their thoughts and feelings on various topics in the form of essays and poetry.

So when Michelle Matthews (blogger name: "Chele"; blog: "Forty Something") made a quick announcement in a blog post that she would be releasing a book of poetry and essays titled Confessions of a Beautiful Woman, I thought to myself...

I gotta get THAT when it comes OUT!

Because if it was as emotionally charged as her "Forty Something"blog... Oh my!

I mean I absolutely LOVE her blog... She puts all her feelings out there on the table, something that I myself RARELY do at this spot. (No, I don't like getting spanked by ya'll for having a few feelings different from the norm! I choose to go blog out of control in the comment sections of other bloggers instead...)


One day she's happy... Another day, there is sadness. Another day we see her spirituality. Then another day she's pissed off. Another day, she's questioning her feelings about certain things she's facing in life...

All and all, she makes this Oldgirl say...

"Damn, I feel that way sometimes! Thought I was the only one to ever feel that way."

Humph...

She's a whisper away from being handed her Original Oldgirl platinum card, good worldwide...

*Ladylee frantically searching her pockets for an extra Original Oldgirl platinum card*

Alright, I am straying away from the subject. This is suppose to be a review of her book of Essays and Poetry, Confessions of a Beautiful Woman.

I can't find just one word to describe this wonderful collection.

I can find a few words, though: amazing, beautiful, poignant, painful, pure, thoughtful...

But most of all... honest.

She really put her whole self out there with this collection of over 30 poems and essays. I could write a post on how each one touched me. I really could.

That would be 30 posts... That would be a bit too much...

So I will talk about those poems and essays that had the most profound effect on me....

I loved the poem "The Struggle", especially because of it's deep spiritual overtones. Michele breaks down, in a few words, the struggles we all deal with: struggling because of our prideful ways, struggling deep down in our spirits, the constant struggle within ourselves and with our raging emotions.

Shoot, this poem made me realize and take stock of how much I've been struggling internally over a few things... I had one of those moments where I thought...

"Damn, I thought I was alone in feeling this way."

I enjoyed the essay "10 Things I Wish Mom had Told Me". This essay brought a whole 'nother meaning to that old cliche "Hindsight is 20/20". Heck, I must have read this essay a good ten times. It was that much on point. Two of the 10 "things" resonated strongly with me...

#10 Don't give your heart away to someone you aren't sure will take care of it.

#4 Develop a relationship with God, before you try to have one with a man.

You got that right...

Geeeezzz.... could've saved myself A WHOLE LOT OF HEARTACHE if I knew THAT!!

Outstanding in it's concept is the essay titled "Patience". Michele breaks up all the familiar cliches (Patience is a virtue, Everything in due time, etc.) and brings home the point that developing in patience only makes one stronger.

Now there is one poem, "Just Wastin' Time", that felt like the author took off her cutesy high heels and strapped on a pair of fresh Timbalands, grabbed a mike, and completely goes off on some young knucklehead who tries to peep a lame game to her... She tells him in, uh, so many words, not to waste her time... I was waiting for a hard 808 bass beat to jump off the page when I was reading that one! Oh my!

What I love most is how she ended the book: with several beautiful love poems. It was as if, throughout the beginning and middle of the book, she took me through a huge gamut of emotions, and then at the end, she brought me in for a real soft landing...

Yet again, making me feel like...

"Damn, I've sho nuff felt like THAT before!!"

The author does an exceptional job through such an eclectic mix of poetry, essays and random thoughts, expressing her anger, joy, regret, grief, love, sensibility, contentment, sadness, and passion... all of which, I've come to understand, from her confessions, gives a woman her beauty.
Such strong confessions they were...

Such strong confessions straight from the heart of a beautiful woman indeed.

Now, I downloaded this book... but after reading it a few times?

I need a hardcopy for my bookshelf!!

Go check it out... you'll love it!

11 comments:

  1. This sounds awesome. You make me want to purchase the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks OG for revealing what sounds like one of the best kept secrets in recent literary history. My book club is searching for new reads and since we only read African-American authors and prefer female authors, I'm thinking "Confessions of a Beautiful Woman" should at least be investigated as a possibility for a discussion.

    Chele, when you stop in to read Ladylee's post and find the wonderful things she said about you and your book, you'll probably not comment b/c one who is so modest as to not publicize more vocally a work as wonderful as this one sounds, would probably not comment on a blog discussing said work. Whether you do or don't, I want to congratulate you on your accomplishment. I know from personal experience, that actually writing a book of any kind is an all-encompassing, emotionally-challenging, and oftentimes thankless job. So even before I read it [and I will be purchasing and reading it], let me say thank you to you for I know it took heart to even start, and a tremendous amount of soul to finish it. I commend you and one day soon, [as it relates to finishing a book], I hope to be just like you!

    Ladylee, I don't know if I get a vote or not as an official card-carrying Oldgirl myself; but if so, I say give my sista her card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ladylee,

    I downloaded the book this morning and just printed it. So far, I am loving it.

    Thanks for letting us know it was there. I think I might have to order the hard copy too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (((blushing)))

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just popping in to say hi. I won't be around Blogger as much as I used to. I am so busy since becoming an interviewer and all. I didn't want to go on long without talking to one of my favorites! Love you, Lady! Thanks for the insight on Chele's book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @S23...

    Yeah girl, it's right up your alley, you deep thinker you!...

    @bballmom...

    I knew you'd love it... Heck, anybody that picks it up WILL love it! Definitely a lovely collection for any bookshelf!

    @ Stacy-Deanne...

    Yo, girl, congrats on the interviewer job!! I knew that you were missing in action, but I know you... You always handlin' yo bizness!!! Thanx for checking up on me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Chele...

    Okay, Sharon, you Original Oldgirl, don't smash the microphone to the floor just yet...
    Yeah, I know it's on FIRE and straight ssssssmokin' after your speech, but I got my gloves on...

    hand me that doggone microphone...

    *Ladylee lifting her Nikes and kicking the mesmerized and smiling crickets out of the way so she can speak*

    Alright Chele... The MICROPHONE QUEEN Sharon, has made her speech and has cast her vote! After a detailed comment and phone convo with her today about card carrying priviledges (and other stuff...)

    *Ladylee digging in her pocket*

    I hereby extend to you your Original Oldgirl Platinum Plus Card, good worldwide and on every planet in the solar system, good even on the Sun itself...with no monetary limits

    So if the police ever try to run up on you, or some folks try to jump ya, you can yell-

    Get back! I am an Oldgirl, I'm an "OG"!

    Get the **** back!!

    No, you'll still catch a beat down, and you'll still get locked up...

    But you'll have the pride attached to being an Oldgirl...

    One who is Original, one who is full of wisdom, one who keeps it real, one who has been through it all, one marching like Miss Sophia on her way to a place of peace and victory...

    ...One who drops science and knowledge like it ain't nothin' but a thang!!

    Congratulations Oldgirl, use your card wisely!!!

    *Ladylee handing the Mike back to that OG Sharon... Sharon smashing the mike to the floor and leaving the stage!*

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a nut! But I accept my OG card with pride ... (in my best Miss Sophia voice) "All my life I had to fight!"

    And I have finally arrived!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome Chele to The Original OG set...what was that?! Oh, the class register just went off the scale...I'm feeling classier as we speak! Damn! Look at my pinky...it won't stay down! ;-)

    Protect your OG card gurl, they are NOT easy to come by and everybody wants one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LadyLee, original oldgirl, I'm just so fascinated with you and your blog. I like your personality. well, onto this book, Confessions of a Beautiful Woman, yes, it's definitely on my list to purchase. Sounds like a winner. But I would be real unless I told you about my new book, THE MAYOR'S WIFE WORE SAPPHIRES. If there are any reviewers who want to read a book that Dr. Maxine Thompson called the mystery classic of the 21st Century, then beep Marti Tucker at writelink@yahoo.com.
    Furthermore, last week I was asked to help some of these good stories out with my unique "fixing", a story editing that makes a story stand out. Lemme hear from you, and I'll tell you when I read Confessions...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, how do I get an OG card. I want to apply. I like the style, fun and drama of the ladies over here. I'mma real OG too. I just need a card.
    marti

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!