Wednesday, April 19, 2006

My 100th POST!!!!!

My 100th post... OH MY!!

Who woulda thought I would make it this far!!?!!

Okay... This was difficult...

I had about 250 things, but had to cull it down to around 100... So, I had to take out a few controversial things, and a few things that would get me cussed out, and a few things that would make you say...

"Oldgirl is STRANGE".

Shoot, you may say that anyway. LOL!

So without further adieu:

100 things about the Oldgirl.










I was born in 1970. I am 36 years old… (Yeah, I tell my age… I am happy to be alive, babes!)

I was born in Atlanta, Georgia. That makes me a true ATLien.

I am not a “Grady Baby”. I am a “SWATS” baby, i.e., born at Holy Family Hospital, which was later renamed Southwest Atlanta Community Hospital, on Fairburn road (ATLiens will know where that is!)

My parents divorced when I was 15 months old.

I started kindergarten at the age of 4.

I skipped the second grade.

When I began the third grade, I was six years old.

I attended private school until the fifth grade.

I moved to College Park at the age of 8, when my mother married my sister Kay’s father.

I began 6th grade in public school at the age of 9.



I was one of the smartest people in class, due to being slightly ahead because of my private school education.

I met LadyTee when I was 9 years old. She and I became best friends when I was 11.

I am the oldest of three siblings.

I have one sister named “Kay”. She was born when I was 11 years old. She is now 24 years old, and currently lives with me.

I could not stand her father. He was a functional alcoholic and dope fiend. My mother divorced him when I was 14. I was glad to see him go.

I have one brother name Dakari. He was born when I was 17. He is an 18 year old Army man, now.

My first crush was on a guy by the name of .Oli.vet.ti. I use to leave notes in his locker. Somehow he found out. He wasn’t interested. This was good, especially since I was only 12.

I lost my virginity to “TB” at the age of 15. I was in the eleventh grade, and I was determined to do the nasty before leaving high school (looking back, that was… stupid). LadyTee still bitches at me about this until this very day, some 21 years later. TB lived up the street from me. He’d been my best male friend for the past seven years prior to the “event”. I dumped him suddenly for a guy I’d been trying to talk to for a good year. That was the first time I’d broken a man’s (boy’s) heart. The shocked look on his face bothers me to this very day. “LadyLee I care about you, what about us?”

*Crickets*

Looking back, it was one of my nicest relationships… Too bad we weren’t older.

My favorite teacher in high school was Mr. Jaber. He taught physics but would set aside time each week to discuss some of his philosophical views of life (click here for a post on this). Some of the things he said… I still carry in my heart to this very day.

I graduated high school with honors at the age of 16.



My first job, making $3.35/hour, was at a T.CBY frozen yogurt shop the summer prior to starting college. My first paycheck was $95.00. You couldn’t tell me I wasn’t rich, rich, RICH.

I began college, majoring in pre-med, at a university in downtown Atlanta the following Fall. My mother would not let me go away to school. She thought I was too young.

I changed my major from pre-med to chemistry during my sophomore year of college. I hated the biology classes, and all the blood involved when dissecting frogs, etc.

My second job, at the age of 17, was working as an operator on a drug hotline. Here I met an Original Oldgirl, Carter-Anne. She was a 24 year old psych major, and had to be the strangest white girl I’d ever met, sort of a cross between a beatnik and a flower child. We are still friends to this very day.

I’ve only been in love twice.

I met my first love when I was 17. His name was Elij.ah. I went to high school with him. As a matter of fact, he was in my homeroom for a few years. I never paid him much attention then, just thought he was a nice guy.

He was an orphan, and was pretty much on his own. He had his own place at times, which made me completely wreckless.

We dated for three years. I was a little wreckless with other men, i.e., couldn’t be faithful. My silly behind told him about this, and he couldn’t get past it. He ended up seeing someone else, and getting married.

I was emotionally wrecked behind the breakup. It took me 2 years to get over him.
6 years later, he found out where I lived and told me that he still loved me. It felt good to stand on my doorstep and realize I had absolutely no feelings left for him.

I worked for the postal service for six months, when I was 18. It was one outright exercise in monotony. There I developed a firm understanding of why employees run up in a place with a gun and shoot people. I am continuously perplexed as to why management likes to mess with employees minds, money, and livelihood. You never know who is crazy or not.



I fooled around with a married man when I was 18 years old. I decided to leave him alone when he showed me the jagged wounds on his chest left after his wife attacked him with a pair of scissors. No need for me to be caught up in a bunch of craziness.

Someone said that I should disclose my number of sexual partners… Hmm… somewhere in the double digits… so that means anywhere between 10 and 99. I’ve either been leaning towards innocent or I've been a straight-up ho. Take your pick. (LOL)…

I obtained my first chemistry job, a co-op with Am.oco, when I was 19. My paycheck was $524.00 every two weeks. Again I was rich, rich, RICH.

I met one of my best male friends, Timmy-Tim (who is now Cowgirl Cre’s hubby), when I was 19. He was my number one mental and emotional support all throughout undergrad and grad school.



I left home suddenly in 1991. Mother had a live-in boyfriend, and she continuously got angry with me because I was not worshipping at his feet. She went off on me one day for not saying “thank you” to him in the proper manner. I left after that. Turns out old boy, who I thought was at least 40, was only 5 years older than me. (LadyTee is still screaming about that. She said “yes sir” to him a few times. We both can’t wait to catch that dude out on the street somewhere. We both have a few words for him.)

I slept on a friend’s couch for 5 months. I began grad school at a private uppity University in Atlanta in fall of 1991. I’d done summer research and had saved up a couple of thousand dollars. I got my own place that fall.

During my time at the uppity private school, I began to drank a lot. If I wasn’t an alcoholic, I was damn near close to being one.

I met the second love of my life while in grad school. “Old Boy” is what we will call him, during this time. I was 24 years old. I met him through a high school friend. I slept with him on the first date. (I was such a hussy!)

I was married for 4 years to “Oldboy”. We are now divorced.

I do not have a relationship with my mother, which deeply disturbs me.



I lived in the downtown community of Grant Park in the early 90's, the best place I’d ever lived, for about three years of grad school. It has always been the reason that I wanted to live downtown again.

I promised myself I would never shack up with a man, but I ended up shacking up with “Old Boy”. My financial situation went downhill after that… And we had an extremely rocky relationship.




My favorite color is black.

My favorite combination of colors: maroon, hunter green, beige, and dark blue.

My favorite food is chicken, whether it is fried, stewed, boiled, baked, broiled, grilled, sautéed… CHICKEN!

My favorite beverage: Boathouse Mango Lemonade. Hard to find, but when I do find it, I buy them all and throw them into the freezer in the garage.

My favorite time of day is morning, especially when I don’t have to go to work.

My favorite scents: peach and lemon.

I love expensive, custom-made candles.

I love expensive handmade and hand-dipped incenses.

My favorite season of the year: spring.

I read approximately 50 books a year.

My favorite genre of books are Black Sci-Fi and Black Horror.

My least favorite genres of books: Erotica and Urban.

My favorite female author is Tayari Jones.

My favorite male author is Brandon Massey.

My favorite genres of movies: sci-fi and action adventure.

My all time favorite movie: The Color Purple.

I love old school R&B and old school rap.

My favorite bloggers: Ladies of the SBS (you know who you are!) and them Platinum card carrying Original Oldgirls.



I cannot tolerate folks who are brownnosers. They are NOT to be trusted.



I am not popular on the job because I don't brownnose.




I stay FAR away from people whose ego must be constantly stroked. Ain’t my doggone fault you got low self-esteem.

I do not like my job right now, whereas I use to love it.

My most significant personal achievements to date: obtaining my Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry and purchasing a home on my own.

My life’s biggest failure: getting a divorce.

My biggest moment of hurt, angst, and pain: standing back and watching my brother go into the military during war time.

My favorite female relative: My Auntie J.; My favorite male relative: My Uncle Tweet.
(shown below. Shoot, am I allowed to have favorite relatives?)



I do not drink. I haven’t had a drink in 5 years.

I write for at least one hour per day.

I am 80% done with my untitled manuscript. Around the job, we call it Sweet Heat.

I am a member of the baddest book club in the world: Circle of Friends II, Atlanta Chapter.


I am not a compassionate person, but most of my friends are very compassionate people.

I am constantly working on being unselfish. I’ve come a long way, but I’ve got a very long way to go.

My biggest idiosyncrasy: once you burn me, I am pretty much through with you. Oh, I’m polite and all, as I don’t have a right to be unforgiving, but DO NOT, under any circumstances, come make small talk with me, or cheese in my face. You found it necessary to burn me, you have your reward. Enough said.

Another idiosyncrasy: I hate being inconvienced.

My worst idiosyncrasy: I have moderate anger management issues. Heck, that is better than severe. I am working on having mild anger management issues.

I am a loner, and I prefer not to be around too many people for long periods of time.

Being thought of as part of a “clique” completely unnerves me, seeing that I am grown and not in high school.

I love to crochet.

My nick names: Lee, Lisa, Lee-Lee, Lisa-Anne, Ms. Lee, LadyLee. My grandfather started calling me “Lee” when I was little. My entire family calls me Lisa. LadyTee’s Mama calls me “Lisa-Anne” (I have NO idea why). “Ms. Lee” and “LadyLee” are old high school nickname. It was my graffiti tagline. I use to grafitti up people’s blue jeans and shirts, and make banners for a small fee. I always signed my work “Ladylee”.




I am 5’7”.

The only place I have lived outside of metropolitan Atlanta is New Orleans, LA.

I do not have any children.

My favorite TV shows are any shows where there is a murder, and they backtrack through the whole backstory to figure out what happen, i.e., Law and Order, City Confidential, etc.

I do not drink sodas. I mostly drink water and watered down juice.

I believe in God.

I go to church every Sunday. I attend bible study on Wednesday nights.

I pray every day.

I read my bible everyday, but I have a tendency to get bogged down in researching backstories, root words, etc.

I am a Playstation 2 fiend. I can get caught up in it for hours, but I have curbed that bad habit sharply in the last 6 months. I have a 1 or 2 hour per week habit now.


I have one pet: an eight year old brown tabby name Oscar-Tyrone.

I love pedicures, even though I wear sneakers all the time.

I am a closet history buff.

I am a current events fanatic.

Unlike most women, I HATE to shop.

My favorite holidays are Memorial Day and 4th of July.

My least favorite holidays: Easter and Christmas.

I love old cartoons (Superfriends, the Flintstones, The Jetsons, etc.)

I take my laptop everywhere I go, just in case I have a thought that I need to quickly type out!!

Last, but not least… I AM the Original Oldgirl. Enough Said!!!!!


13 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:35:00 PM

    Whew...I made it through this LONG yet interesting and HIGHLY ANTICIPATED post. Happy 100th...you should have included more about the N.O. though. Like how "you ain't gon' let nobody come and stunt you, huh?" I know S23 is going to slide up in hea and call you a nerd based on your earliest educational references. And I almost dropped a tear at the shout-out. **Tear** Oh and BTW, you forgot to mention how you run over books and your run-ins with clergymen. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your 100th post and I'm looking forward to the next 100!!!!

    Dang girl, 250 things! LOL, now that’s a lot. I wonder what kinds of things they were? Hmmmm….

    This was a VERY interesting post (smile). I’ve learn a lot about the “Original Oldgirl” today.

    Wow, I knew you were a smart lady, but starting the 3rd grade at 6 y/o and graduating @ 16? Now that is really something!

    Sweet Heat, huh? I can’t wait to order my personally autographed copy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was so good, I loved it. I would like to do it too but I am only on my first post.

    I guess I have a ways to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could you have numbered them so I would have known if you cheated or not? That seemed like 1000 instead of 100. And I think I got more of a kick out of LB's comment... So if I had to pick a number b/t 10-99. How bout 98 and holding.... HA! Now don't take this one out on the computer screen. Wink!~

    ReplyDelete
  5. chile....I dug the whole thing...I too worked at the post office at 19....reminded me of a Stephen King novel.

    LB is crazy...Let us "kneel" and pray for her LMBO

    Nerds rule!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @L Bigga...

    yo... I snatched out a bunch of personal ish, Ma... Let's not even get over into my "run-ins"...

    ...and you KNOW I was not fond of New Orleans; culled out all of that too!

    Yeah, S, is gonna call me a nerd... That fiery headed chicken will be a'ight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ The Ecstatic Dr. Nic...

    You know, Doc, I actually printed out your 101 things post and got a few ideas from that? LOL!!

    And if Sweet Heat ever gets published, you know you got a copy waiting for ya :)

    @ freespirit...

    Well, thanx for stopping by, and congrats on your first post... I gotta go check that out!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. This could have been MY list. Except the "smart thing". You're a friggin brain!

    Congratulations on reaching 100, old girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ the fiery headed chicken S23...

    I got 2 words for you:
    "Shoot Negro"
    ... you figure that out.

    98 and holding... shows exactly what you think of me, Celie...

    you busta!

    @Wanda!

    Hey girl! Thanks for coming by and helping my celebrate my 100th post... I will see you at the next meeting:)

    @DJ DIVA...

    Yeah, the post office is hella nuts... and yes we must "kneel" and pray for both of those fiery headed chickens LBeezy and S23! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. man, i can't believe i made it through the whole thing!

    meanwhile, it was so easy to do because the facts about you are so fascinating!

    i only know one other person besides you who is an original ATLien. where you folk AT anyway???

    your bookclub sounds amazing! let me know when your folk take on new members. i'd like to join.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Chele... Oooh weee, we would have had similar lists?!!!

    That's why we some Original OGs, all day, er'day!!!

    *LadyLee pumping fist in the air*

    @ATLien Nikki...

    Yo, Nikki, you not a native ATLien? Shoot, you sure act like one! LOL!!

    I don't find myself fascinating, but I am glad you do!

    COF II has open membership, and meets all over the ATL... We just had a good poetry slam book club meeting, and that would have been RIGHT up your alley!!

    check it out, girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i just checked out the site for the bookclub. i'm joining! see you at the next meeting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know, I know....I've been MIA ;)

    CONGRATS OG on your 100th post....I want to be just like you when I grow up, and judging from the numerous commonalities we share on your list, I just might make it. [Scratch all that brainiac ish though....I can hold my own but damn, college at 16...GET REAL!]

    I am so glad I showed up in time to celebrate this monumental event with you...and even though I'm still incognito in Minneapolis on business using a jacked-up company computer with reservations b/c I hate "The Man" to be able to track my moves, you KNOW I'm always out here somewhere and eventually I'll find my way home. And for me, your blog is one of my computer homes!

    DON'T STOP, B/C I FOR ONE HAVE NOT HAD ENOUGH!

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!