Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Jubilee of Reading Book Club Conference...

(2 posts in one day... can you believe it??)

Last Saturday, I attended a book club conference on Saturday, the 6th Annual Jubilee of Reading Book Club Conference, held at a local library on the east side of the ATL...

There were several authors there, and I have read lit by them all, except one. But I plan to go pick up a couple of that brotha's books real soon...

Travis Hunter was there...




This brotha just came out with his sixth book, Something to Die For. I see his books all the time, but I haven't read any. His novels are more geared towards the plight of young black men. He's a single father who is highly involved in mentoring young black men. You do the darn thing, Travis!

(Sidenote: Now, why is it that, when I go to any author's reading and signing, I expect to see them dressed all formal... Mr. Hunter was not formal at all... and I like that!!!)

One of the resident authors of my book club and book club sista, Monica McKayan, was there! She's has written two very good books, As Real as it Gets, and From Here to Forever. I've read both, and both were excellent.



If you like a good romance with themes of sisters seeing each other through, then get her books! You won't be disappointed. She has a YA (young adult) title coming out in February titled Indigo Summer. I gotta check that one out... They say YA is the next hot genre!

And this brother needs no introduction. You know who he is. He's been on Oprah, he's been everywhere:

J.L. King!



I read that book, On the Down Low, and it had me looking at men a little harder than I should be. (LOL!?) That book, um, really shocked me. He has a new book coming out soon, and he's also getting an imprint through Simon and Schuster!

Go J.L. !!!

And you know who else I saw...

I saw my favorite male author... The black prince of horror and suspense...




I'd never heard him speak before, but he gave a great talk. He gave thought provoking answers to all of our questions, and you know I was happy about that. That was almost too much excitement for me! Goodness!


I wanted to yell, "You're dressed in black like the vampire character Kyle in your second novel Dark Corner." But that would have been, I don't know... NERDY! I was already snapping pictures like crazy. I didn't want him to think I was a complete nut!

He signed copies of his new book, Vicious, which I reviewed on my blog. I had three books for him to sign: the short story collection Twisted Tales, Vicious, and The Other Brother. I had one more, Voices from the other Side: Dark Dreams II , an Anthology of African American short horror stories, but I couldn't find it.

Oh well... I guess I'll get that signed next time.

A special memoriam award, the Worthy Foundation Builder Award, was given by the library in memory of my book club sister and president Shunda Leigh's mother, Mrs. Carolyn Worthy, who passed this year on Thanksgiving day. This award will be ongoing, and will be presented to someone every year. I thought that was a fantastic idea, and a nice way to remember Shunda's Mom.

All in all, I had a wonderful time. Good food, good people, and a good time.

Most of all, I left inspired.

Inspired to read... and inspired to write.

2 comments:

  1. Yes.

    Makes me wanna pack my bags and start metworking and slanging my joints down yonder ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I didn't even know about it. Sniff.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!