Monday, December 04, 2006

Book Review: Zora's Cry by Tia McCollors



For the month of November, my COF II book club announced that we would be reading Tia McCollor’s Zora’s Cry, a book which falls in the genre of inspirational/Christian fiction.

After that announcement, I had visions of myself jumping from my seat and yelling

“Whistle on the play!”

Now, one thing I have never particularly jumped up and ran to the bookstore for is inspirational fiction. Why? Because I didn’t want to read about perfect Christian people with perfect lives.

One word: UNREALISTIC

Too unrealistic… Even when I read my bible, I see people who are a bit um, how should I say it... off the chain. So, um, I’ma be mad if I read some inspirational fiction and people aren’t struggling in some manner.

Some of that changed when I read a couple of books by Victoria Christopher Murray, one of the more popular African American writer who specializes in the Christian/inspirational genre. Why? Because she wrote books about Christian people with real problems trying to work through all of their mess.

One word: REALISTIC!

So, this made me a little more open to the genre. Now when I read anything spiritual, it is usually nonfiction in nature, something along the lines of self-help or history. I kind of stay away from the fiction side of it.

Well, I decided to give Ms. McCollor’s book a try. It was the book club selection, and Tia McCollors (pictured to the right holding Zora's Cry) was going to be at the book club meeting. Also, Tia McCollor’s is pretty hype here in the ATL… I've heard or seen advertisement for her book all over the place, and I was a bit curious about what this book would offer.

A quick synopsis:

The book centers on aspects of the lives of four women.

Zora is a young woman who is still trying to come to grips with the sudden death of her parents, is about to be married. While searching for her mother’s bridal veil, she comes across adoption papers. Afterwards, she falls into an identity crisis, which should be expected after such a revelation. She vows to find her biological parents, even if other things going on in her life suffer because of it.

Her best friend Monet has issues of her own. She is in the midst of a shaky on-again, off again romance with a suave politician, while pondering the possibilities with another suitor.

There are two other women in this story. Belinda is a new mother who is having to adjust to motherhood while taking care of her own mother, who happens to be fighting cancer. Finally, Paula, who from the outside seems to have the perfect life, finds herself pregnant and in the midst of a shaky marriage. She is convinced that her husband is having an extramarital affair.

A women’s discipleship group brings these four women together. In the beginning, everyone is faking the funk, but after awhile, those facades and masks drop, and the women pray for each other, draw strength from each other, and learn to depend on God.

Wow.

A lot going on. A LOT.

And that’s what I loved about this book.

Now I read 2-3 books at a time, and rotate between them all based on good stopping points. Zora’s Cry started off a bit slow for me, so I didn’t really get into it until I hit the second chapter. That’s not good, because it was one of the few times that I didn’t finish a book before the book club meeting. And I like to do that, especially if the author will be at the meeting.

But once I did get into the book, I couldn’t put it down. I wanted to cold smack myself for not reading it sooner. I can really see what all the hype was about.

Zora’s Cry has to be one of the most important books that I have read all year. I may just read it once a year to keep my doggone head straight...

The first reason I enjoyed this book is that it had a lot of characters and common situations. Now, I am strange. I really don’t like books with one main character. I like books with a lot of characters and a lot of different situations. And if an author can weave all of these characters and their lives together very nicely, I am happy. To me, those are the best books.

The second reason I liked this book? It was realistic. Christian people going through life issues, and having to depend on God and developing in their faith in spite of funky circumstances. You know, you can only fake the funk for so long. What one really believes comes out after awhile. There comes a time where you have to have faith, in the midst of whatever you’re going through. And that was a HUGE theme running throughout this book.

The third reason I enjoyed this book is because I am part of an Inspirational Journal Writing Group. I found back in January, much to my surprise, that there is a wonderful spiritual aspect to the group. And looking back over the past year? Man, let’s just say that I looked forward to our meetings. Sometimes, I’ve been going through crap, feeling terrible, and I just REALLY needed that group to help me along, and just for folks to catch hands and pray and get in agreement over triumph in problem areas in our lives. That was a big theme in this book also, one of which I could most certainly relate to. After all the facades dropped, these women learned to lean on and support each other spiritually.

Like I said, this has to be one of the most important books I’ve read all year. From the outside, these women looked as if life was all perfect. But they were struggling internally with issues. That was very realistic to me. It was definitely an eye-opener.

Excellent book. Lot’s of scripture and wisdom sprinkled throughout, and it made for a very satisfying read. It is rare that I read a fiction book that ministers to my heart. And this book makes me want to go seek out more books which touch me in that manner.

This was something I really needed.

This is an excellent book for anyone who is struggling with trusting God to help them in the midst of their personal issues.

Now, this is Tia McCollor’s second book. Her first book is A Heart for Devotion, and it too is a very good book. I am currently reading it, and I am at the halfway point. I may not review it here, since it is not current, but it is definitely worth mentioning.

I was glad to get a chance to meet Ms. McCollors. I have NO idea why when I go to a reading, or when an author is a guest at our meetings, that I expect her to arrive in a long flowing dress and tiara, holding a scepter in her hand. (What IS my problem??) She was very much down to earth, answered all of our questions, and just basically chilled and signed books.

But you know me, right? You know I asked some writing questions.
And it was all kind of like in slow motion, when she was gathering her things so she could leave... '
I wanted to scream... "Wait, Tia, don't go!!!!!"
But I composed myself, and said in the most sane manner possible, my heart beating a mile a minute, "Tia, can I ask you a question?"
She said yes and she answered them all, and asked me to email her if I had anymore questions.

GLORY! Ha, ha! I won't bother her (ya'll know how I HATE bugging peeps)... Just glad she was so forthcoming in answering our questions, etc.

I'm definitely one of your new fans, Tia, and continued success!

So if you are looking for a good read, especially during the holiday season, check out Zora’s Cry.

You won’t be disappointed.

4 comments:

  1. Dammit, I'm a football watching, beer swilling ass man.

    Why is it you keep convincing me to read and purchase (you know i gotta support our own) these inspirational-ass books?

    All this undue influence is making me wanna write an inspirational joint of my own.

    For the brothas...

    Thanks for the shout. Ever think of being a publicist? Got me buying all these damn books and such...

    ReplyDelete
  2. hassan, put on a dang shirt dude...hehehe

    aiight, so i love your book reviews cuz there is no way i would have sought her out if not for you, ladylee. you are the epitome of an atlien supporting fam. i'm gonna pick her up on your recommendation. mind you, this will be the very first christian inspirational type fiction i've ever read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Hassan... yeah, what's up with the missing shirt, dude? I thought I was gonna open up your blog and get a... show.

    Get the book. It is very good and will make you think. There are even some male characters in there... And guess what? There is no male bashing!! So I KNOW you're gonna go get it now, hunh???

    @That ATLien Nikki...

    Support your local ATLiens, you ATLien! Plus the book is GOOD. Can we read something clean for a change? I like the fact that Ms. McCollors is our age, and is able to present a realistic point of view of things...

    The first book, A heart of Devotion, is good too... I'm halfway through that one... You'll REALLY like that one!

    Go head on and get your first piece of inspirational fiction, gurl... I think this is my 3rd book, and this book is definitely sticking in my mind...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your book recaps, I will haev to check this book out.

    Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!