Thursday, December 21, 2006

THE ORIGINAL OLDGIRL'S GUMBO RECIPE

***I'd like to send this recipe right herre out to Miss Celie (Sherri)... because she scratches out my head when I was ailing...

Sistah... you been on my mind, ooooh, sista, we two of a kind.... ROTFLMAO!!!!


Some people...

I tell you...

~sigh~

Like that doggone Celie, aka Sherri, aka Ms. Blackliterature.com,


She likes to sit off in the corner, off in the cut, all wide-eyed...


Wishing, wanting, waiting, hissing, moaning and hoping for a gumbo recipe.

She sometimes stands out in the middle of a field somewhere in the Carolinas, crying and crying...

She even grabbed Nettie, aka, BBall Mama's hand...

...and they're both justa wailing and crying for a gumbo recipe!!

So, I guess I will TRY to stifle some of the wailing by posting my gumbo recipe.

Warning, warning, WARNING.... It is long, long, LONG.

And it is heavy on the Bootleg tip... Heavy with a capital H. So be forewarned.

Just work with the Oldgirl, a'ight?

A'ight.

Let's go head on and do the darn thing!!

THE ORIGINAL OLDGIRL'S GUMBO

Meat

Alright, if you don't eat seafood, leave out the seafood. If you don't eat pork, leave out the pork. If you don't eat meat, then use tofu... well, you don't need to be making gumbo. Go have a glass of carrot juice or something. Humph.

2 pounds each of the following:

Chicken parts (preferably dark meat. Sherri is, um, a bit special, so she gotta use that skinless boneless chicken meat. Do your thing, Celie!)

Sausauge (preferably andouille, if you can find it. I usually use polish, andouille, and beef sausage. If you can find hot sausage, get it. I haven't been able to find it outside of Louisiana).

Shrimp (don't get those little ass shrimps either, Sherri...act like you got some sense and buy the jumbo shrimp).

Crabs (I like snow crabs. Get the blue crabs if you want. I don't have a good understaning of how to eat a blue crab, so I'm down with the snow.)

Veggies

1 cup red bell pepper,chopped
2 cups onions, chopped (I use red onions, but use whatever type you want)
1 cup green onions, chopped
2 cups bell peppers, chopped
1 14 0z can diced or stewed tomatoes
2 packages of frozen cut okra (man, I don't know what size! How about get enough packages to give 3 cups of okra... yeah, that's the ticket!)
1 bay leaf

The ROUX

(Sherri, use the roux your peeps gave you. Trust me, hon... Use the roux Big Mama and dem gave you.)

2 cups of flour
1 cup of oil (vegetable or canola)

Other

A pot of cooked rice.

(Look here, I ain't giving you directions on how to cook rice. If you can't cook rice, stop right here. Go do something useful and make yourself some toast instead.)

Directions...

(Okay, work with me now, for I am not Betty Crocker... I am more like Shaquita Crocker.)

1. BOIL the chicken and the sausage together in the largest pot you have. From henceforth, it will be referred to as the "Gumbo pot". This should take about 1.5 hours. I like for the meat to fall off the bone, so I boil it a little longer. There should be enough water at all times to cover the meat.

2. Next, you have a few options...

a. Add all veggies (EXCEPT OKRA and tomatoes) to the gumbo pot 30 minutes after you start boiling your chicken. Continue to boil.
b. Add all veggies (EXCEPT OKRA and tomatoes) to the gumbo pot after you boil your chicken. Continue to boil.
c. Sautee all veggies (EXCEPT OKRA and tomatoes) in a pan with either half a stick of butter or some oil. Then add it to the pot. This is the method I use. Why? I don't know why, I just do it.


All I know, you BETTER NOT put that okra in there at this point or your gumbo is going to be slimy. Yeah, I did it before, and you don't want slimy gumbo... YIKES!

3. Add the canned tomatoes to the gumbo pot. Continue to boil. Make sure you have enough water to cover everything. If you don't, act like you got some sense, and ADD WATER TO THE GUMBO POT!

4. Um, now let's deal with the okra issha.

Now, my coworker, a Louisiana native, gave me a recipe a few years ago, and she had in there that I had to "rope" the okra.

What the hell?

You know me. I questioned her about this. She didn't explain it well to me. I asked another Louisiana native, and he didn't explain it to me well either.

"Hey ya'll...What does 'rope' mean?"

They both looked at me like I was ignant. "You know, 'rope' means to rope it, Ladylee."

*Crickets*

Let's just say that I placed that recipe in the back of a drawer somewhere.

Anyway, I found what roping meant from a cook book a few years ago... Basically what you're doing is sauteeing the okra in oil until it is no longer slimy. It is quite simple. Just heat some oil (1/2 cup?) in a pan and add the okra. Keep stirring it until all the sliminess is gone. When the slime is almost gone, the okra will start to break up. Add more oil if necessary to evaporate out the slime.

Add your roped okra to the gumbo pot containing the chicken and sausage.

Got that?

If not, then, uh... go back and read it again... You gotta be smoking something if you don't get that.

Now let's keep it moving...

5. Reduce your pot to LOW heat.

6. Make the Roux.

*LadyLee frowns and scowls REALLY REALLY hard*

I hate making roux. I just hate it with a passion. Sometimes I burn myself making it. Sometimes I burn it up because I was doing something stupid, like yacking on the phone or watching TV. Just watch out because it will go south on you in the blink of an eye. That's all I gotta say about that.

Roux is basically fried flour. Yeah, that sounds stupid. This is why I am glad that Celie, aka Ms. Blackliterature.com, sent me a photo of the roux that Big Mama and dem gave to her...


Yeah... I'm down for that. It looks incredibly bootleg, so you know it's off the chain!! I will be looking that up, so that I can order it...

So I can bypass this whole homemade roux craziness.

Now I must admit... I am not sure that I have the proportions of oil to flour right, but it sounds alright to me. If not... I suggest you work that ish out.

a. Anyway, heat the oil (1 cup) in a pan on medium high heat. Add the flour, a little at a time, being sure to stir it WITH A FORK continuously. Once you've added all of the flour, it should look something like this:



It's all white and bubbly. If it is not bubbling, turn the heat up. If it's not smooth looking, i.e., it looks a little dry or looks jacked up in general, add more oil. It should have a smmooooooth consistency.

b. Now, you need to just keep stirring it. Think of it as frying chicken... without the chicken. Be careful, though, because if you get it on yourself, it burns you. (Yes, trust me on this. The Oldgirl sports several battlescars.) You are basically browning the flour, until it becomes the color of a penny. Now I read up on this somewhere, and you can make it as dark as you want to, even black... but um, I do not suggest that. The penny color is dark enough. Anything further than that is BURNED. (Trust me, I know this, man.) If you burn it, do yourself a favor and start over. You know you are finished when it looks like this:


Brown like a penny... Not a old penny, but a brand new penny.

7. Add the hot roux to your the gumbo pot. Stir it to assure that the roux gets mixed in. If you want to be like the southerners, let that ish cook all day on low. But you better stir it occasionally and add a little water to it. I, the Oldgirl, have burnt up a couple of pots of gumbo in the past.

8. Add the shrimp and crabs to the pot. Make sure there is enough water to cover everything. What I like to do is boil my shrimp and crabs in a separate pot, then add the boiled seafood, along with a little of the water to the gumbo pot. Do whatever works best for you, i.e., work it out!




9. Serve over cooked rice.

Notes:

You can use what's called file (ground sassafrass leaves) to thicken your gumbo. I don't do that. I use the roux as a thickener.

Some folks add the okra at the very end. As a result, no sliminess. I've tried it, and um, it don't work out for me, babes! I just go ahead on and "rope" it.

As you can see, I use A LOT of meat. A LOT. That's just me. You don't need that much meat. Cut the amount of meat in half, and it should be just fine. I just have a tendency to freeze huge batches of it, because I REFUSE to make it more than twice a year (Thanksgiving and 4th of July). If you're just trying to make a quick pot, then you don't need much meat... It's all on you, Shawty... Work it out!

Whatever you do, DO NOT leave the gumbo sitting out to cool. Sit the whole pot in the refrigerator hot, because it will go bad. I remember 3 years ago that I finished preparing the gumbo at 1 AM on Christmas eve, and I was going to get up at 5 AM to put it in the refrigerator. Well, when I got up at 5 AM, it had gone bad just that quick. It was bubbling and tasting crazy.

Man, you should have seen myself, LadyTee, and my sister Kentucky standing over that damn pot arguing with each other.

Kentucky tastes the gumbo. "Lee, it's alright, you don't have to throw it out. It's just fine."

LadyLee takes a taste of it. "I don't know, Kentucky, it smells a little rank, and it tastes like it is spoiled or something.

LadyTee frowning up at both of us, which means she's about to snap. "Both ya'll negroes crazy as hell if ya'll eat that ish... Look how it's bubbling. And it smells like a$$!!! Ya'll gonna fall out from some damn botulism."

**LadyLee is completely spooked by LadyTee's rant and throws out the gumbo.**


Had to throw it all out, man... and start all the way back over. On Christmas day, mind you.

Damn, damn, DAMN...

Had to start all over, mayne... and it was NOT a good look. Pissed me off something terrible!!!!

Now, I went back to work and told my Louisiana coworkers about the rapid spoilage. They looked at me like I'd just gotten off the bus or something. "LadyLee, you have to put it away immediately or it goes bad!"

Duuuh!! NOW you tell me.

Take it from me... Don't leave it out. Make space in the fridge and put it up.

So that's my gumbo recipe... Bootleg as all get out, mind you... but you should be able to create something good.

And like I always say? If you run into problems...

Work that ish out!!!!

Now I think I did okay with that, Celie, I mean, um, Sherri...



Because you sure do look happy... Hope it works out for ya!!















15 comments:

  1. LAWDY!

    You know I'm here cheesing up a storm!! My mom wants to know what I'm smiling about! She doesn't need to know about this.

    Now, My dad is the Gumbo master in the Sonnier household. My mom tries... but my Dad can throw it down. He does all the doctoring/bootlegging. Leaves my mom to chance burning herself while making the roux. ( Yep Ms. Lady Lee. Your roux looks perfect! You Rock!) I should have done more than just eat the Gumbo when growing up. He's one of those throw some of 'that' in the pot type of Gumbo Chefs. And he will not sit still long enough when making it for me get all of what he's doing.

    Shoot -- Bump Him! I have a recipie straight from Dr. LadyLee!! Try and stop me now!

    Can I toss in some comments?

    1) Now, here in Calif, we use Dungeness Crabs instead of the Blue or snow crabs. The meat is a little sweeter but there is a LOT of meat. These are the fat red crabs with the huge paws.

    2) If you make a HUGE vat of gumbo, you may want to split it into 2 smaller containers when putting it in the fridge. If you don't, it may not cool fast enough and your gumbo WILL GO BAD!!! We threw away a pot once. I was about 10. Hurt me so much, I cried. I ate one good bowl before it whent bad. And it was GOOD too.

    Don't forget to even it out. Heavy stuff sinks to the bottom. You don't want 1 container with nothing but juice and the other with all the shrimp and meat droppings.

    3) Gumbo WILL taste better on the second day.

    4) If you don;t know how to thin your okra, or you don't like okra (foolywag!) you can eliminate. Add a little extra Gumbo File. If you live in a state like NorthCarolina, you will have a hard time finding gumbo file. No one will know what you are talking about. They will try to stear you to Zatarains Gumbo mix. This is NOT GUMBO. DO NOT try to pass that stuff off as authentic! You will have earned the beat down that is coming your way.....
    Someone told me that Gumbo File is really ground sassafrass. I can't vouch for this. Ask someone from Texas, Louisiana, Michigan or California to send you some file. Go to the 'Black' Safeway/Albertsons/Winn Dixie... you know. There may be other states where they sell file. I don't know.

    5) LadyLee, you might consider adding some dried shrmps to the base. The kind you can get in a 'corner store' in the hood or some Asian market. Tiny dried up looking shrimp. They add a nice flavor. My Dad does this but I don't know when.

    6) Texas and Louisianna have the best sausage in the world!


    LadyLee -- you just made my Christmas. The best gift I'm going to get this year!! I already know it!! I'm going back to NC to practice this a few times.

    * In case my dad ever reads this, Just Kidding about that Bump That comment. ;-)

    ** Try Bay leaves also LadyLee. I've seen those go in the pop at some point. In cheese cloth so thet can remove them when they finish.


    Thank you! and Merry Chistmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Celie, aka, Sherri....

    Good gracious alive, gal, this has to be the longest comment I've EVER had... GOODNESS!!!

    You know,I'm waiting for you to try that bottled bootleg roux of yours... I want to know whassup with that... It's gotta be good because it looks like Quita and dem bottled it up in their kitchen or basement... If it works out, you BEST believe that I am ordering a couple of jars of it!!

    So get on it, doggonit!!!

    Anyway, on to your numbered comments

    1. Dungeness crabs... They sell those here in ATL but I don't see them much, but I haven't tried them because it looks like I might crack my teeth on them, and they have some type of fur on them, right? That is scary!!! Good idea, though. Plus, they are less bulky than snow crabs!

    2. You know, I haven't had a batch go bad since then... I split it up into one quart containers and throw it in the fridge and later in the freezer. But I see what you're saying... You have to split that ish up and throw it in the fridge FAST... Glad you clued me in on WHY a batch would even go bad because I had no idea why!

    3. Heck yeah, it DO taste better the second day... I've notice that it taste even better after coming out of the freezer too!

    4. You know, the whole okra deal is shady. I've had someone tell me that they add the okra late and it doesn't slime up the gumbo... I tried it before, it don't work for me, so I know I am doing something wrong... I looked up gumbo file a while ago, and it is ground sassafrass leaves, but I don't see the point of using it, since I make it rarely. Paul Prudhomme has a brand of it out, and it can be ordered. I think what I had, I bought down in Louisiana some 5 years ago... I threw it out because it was taking up space...

    Oh, and let's not even talk about the Zatarin's gumbo mix... UGGH! Bootleg gone too, TOO far, that's what I say!!

    5. Dried shrimp... i see those all the time. Yes, i will try those. But I like HUGE HUGE shrimp in my gumbo, homegirl. HUGE! GIGANTIC! COLOSSAL!! I'm talking 10-15 bucks a pound!!! LOL!

    But I will most def try the dried shrimp, just to see how they enhance the flavor...

    6. I agree with the sausage comment. It is difficult to find GOOD andouille sausage here in GA (I have found it for $3.99/lb at a local farmers market, and you better catch it when you can because er'body and they mama snatching it up!), and I CANNOT find hot sausage (like the Patton variety) anywhere (UGH!!), so I have to bootleg it and use a variety of strange sausage. ~sigh~

    **Bay leaves. Yeah, I have one bay leaf in the recipe, but I only add one because I have to find that sucka and fish it out when I finish cooking it. (forgot to mention that!) The cheesecloth is a GREAT suggestion. I will most definitely try that next time.

    But the thing is, it takes practice... And Celie, you crazy as hell for not watching your daddy and learning how to do it while growing up!! What was YOUR problem??????????? I'd give anything to hang out with your Daddy while he makes it! GOODNESS!

    But you have given me a few of his bootleg tips, so you must've been watching something!!

    MUCH OBLIGED!!!

    I think everybody's gumbo is different, and ... I don't really like making it, because I don't like spending more than 30 minutes at a time in the kitchen. And I always burn myself making that $#%#@ roux!!!

    But thanks for adding the bootleg TO the bootleg... I needed that. I'm an amateur, and I need any suggestions to make my gumbo better!!

    Merry Christmas, gal!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:59:00 AM

    Merry Christmas, girl.

    I can't even get in on this conversation. My version is way more bootleg than this. If I shared it you may revoke my platinum card. So I'll keep it to myself but I will say this ... I'm the mother of two very picky kids and if I went to ALL THIS TROUBLE and they didn't eat my gumbo ... there'd be trouble in VA. Suffice it to say, my version is tasty ... heck the church ladies even gave me kudos when I brought it to the potluck. Now, that is high praise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ that Original Oldgirl Chele...

    Note: An Original Oldgirl Platinum Plus card cannot be revoked!! I can't think of anything you could do to get your platinum card snatched!!!

    You should've shared your bootleg secrets... At least I could've gotten a good laugh out of it! LOL!!

    Hey... do whatever works for you, Oldgirl!! Especially if the childrens are pleaed with it!

    Really though.

    And you know it gets a good grade if the Church ladies liked it!! Shoot, maybe you could hip me to something better!!

    If you got the Chele 30 Minute meals version of making gumbo, let a sista know about THAT, why don't cha!!!!

    You gotta let us in on your shortcuts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LadyLee,

    You'se crazy girl. But I thanks you for the recipe.

    The Bball clan will be in the kitchen New Years Eve day and night whipping up a pot of LadyLee's Gumbo. (We no longer do the go out and party thing).
    I will let you know how it comes out!

    The local korean market sells spicy chicken sausage which I am thinking of adding along with Louisiana sasuage if I can find it.

    I like the dried shrimp idea. I bet it does add more flavor. I need to call my crazy aunt and uncle in SD and ask them. He is the true Louisiana boy. But I can't eat his gumbo cause he likes stuff a little too hot.

    I'm with Sherri on the Dungeness. I'm hoping Albertson's has some on sale after Xmas.

    I hate Okra, so I will be skipping that step.

    Gumbo does test better the next day. So doa lot of things actually. But, food in my house rarely makes it past day one.

    Thanks girly! Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good lawd...

    This is better than some of my abstract sex pieces I put on my blog.

    I was aroused, slumping due to extreme hunger and salivating to pics over the internet.

    This is now my weekend project.

    Thank you Oldgirl, you have satisfied old Scrooge with this detailed recipie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. umm... I thought I was Celie.

    And... my sister has forgone traditional gumbo for "gumbo in a bag". It works. For real.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ BBall Mama...

    Go head on and do the darn thing, Nettie!! And let me know how it comes out... And if you run into isshas... WORK IT OUT...

    @Hassan...

    Bruh, aren't you a vegetarian??
    What are you gonna do, Shorty?
    Use tofu?

    THE HORROR!!!!!!!!!!!

    Humph... Yeah, you let ME know how that turns out!!

    Should be interesting... HeeHee!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Tayari...

    *******crickets*******

    the crickets stop chirping...

    ...silence.

    *LadyLee reading the words that the Almighty Tayari has written... trying to decipher the metaphor, the simile, the wordplay... the keys to life*

    GLORY! Blast the trumpets! The Queen of LURK City has arrived...

    Marching band plays loudly!!

    Um, you are Celie. Don't be a hater! There are A BUNCH of Celie's, but most notably, you and that doggone Sherri. LOL!!!!

    Boy, I tell ya... you sure do know how to pull a drive-by blog comment and zoom away...

    But, um... check it out:

    What the hell is "gumbo in a bag"??
    What in the world do they have you doing up in D.C., where they got you talking about some doggone "gumbo in a bag"?

    You are scarying me. Cut your BNH groupie activities PRONTO and put down the tequila.

    You must be talking about some type of mix... Yeah, that's it.

    EXPLANATION REQUIRED, Celie...

    I hope you're not talking about a mix or a kit.

    You're a southern girl, Tayari, even though you hang out in corn fields and such... You know better than to fool with instant mixes... Yo mama taught you how to get in the kitchen and do the darn thing... Don't play, you ATLien!!!

    You were about to get your Original Oldgirl Platinum Plus card, but it is on hold now.

    HUMPH.

    You've got to let us know what that "gumbo in a bag" is all about.

    LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous2:41:00 PM

    i just have to say i stumbled upon your blog and i think it is divine! i like all books you highlight ( i just read the untelling.....it was on point for real. really refreshing.) i like the music you have ( i'm 21 so i really don't know some of the older r&b you feature... but i funks with debarge!?!) it's like reading a good book on your grandmother's porch on a warm sunny summer's day at your blog...and the food is the perfect companion. oh, and if you could, let me know what the song is you have playing on your blog is?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous9:50:00 PM

    I have never made gumbo--too much food for just me and my daughter since we are the only ones who like REAL cooked food.This looks so good! I'm going to have to scale this one down and do it anyway.

    Chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @TRB...

    Why thank you very much for your comments, TRB!! It's nice to know there are people who enjoy my MINDLESS ramblings and adventures.

    Excuse us, we sit up here and act a fool sometimes. Never mind us while we act silly...

    That song in the background... you like that? My book club sista loves it and we think it has to be the most positive "Sista-gurl" song we've heard all year. I may just leave it up for awhile.

    We thought it was Erykah Badu, and our janitor at work rolled through saying matter-of-factly that it was Jill Scott **crickets** but I called up the DJ who sent his lady to our retreat with all his "product", from whom I obtained this song and nameless others. (Read the "LadyLee Retreats: Adventures in bootlegging" post). He said it's a young lady that's coming out next year sometime. He's sending me her demo in the mail this week, so I'll let you know who she is and I may throw some more of her music up on here.

    Again, thanks for stopping through... Your comment made my day!!Feel free to come by and sit awhile:)

    @CHOSEN...

    So, are you back now? I hope so! I thought you were gone for good! Let me know, drop me an email or something!! I want to know how you've been, man!!...

    Hey girl, you're correct...it is alot of food. But I only make it every 6 months. With this batch, I shouldn't have to make anymore until Christmas next year. The issha becomes peeps coming over and wanting quarts of it. I STILL haven't had any of this batch that I cooked on Thanksgiving... I will pull a quart out for the week of Christmas...

    ReplyDelete
  13. GURRRRRLLLL!

    This is the best Gumbo recipe story that has ever been shared online! Downright comically tasty...LOLOLOL

    I've always wanted to add THIS dish to my 'I'm a Frankie Beverly & Maze "Southern Girl" cause I can cook this dish...' on-again off-again persona but I've always been scared of the taming of the Roux. It's good to know that other Louisiana natives have had similiar gumbo-making related accidents. I ain't proud of the fact that I have not been able to cook Gumbo but the Aunties in my family have provided me with a logical reason for why we are not Masters of the Roux. Simply put, our Texarkanan cooking lineage did not require us to scald our pots or our fingers in the taming of the Roux. Instead we were preoccupied in trying to get the BBQue smoke and sauce from out of our hair and clothes.

    But I admire any North of Southeastern LA native who has mastered the art of the Roux. Any story shared in the aftermath of cooking Gumbo is a survior story.

    *Brief silence*

    *Lighting of the candle*

    *Proceed to bend neck, close eyes as one's head rests on the seafood bib hanging from neck in reverence*

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous5:16:00 PM

    Cooling tip: Once you've finished cooking your gumbo, take it OUT the pot and place into serving bowls OR plastic containers to cool..Pots hold heat...Taking a hot pot of gumbo and sitting it in the fridge to cool will cause spoilage...I'know this for a fact..I did that and the next morning I had witches brew...The ish was BUBBLING and funky...I was sooo hurt..After all that hard work...Lesson learned...Now, I cool for a MAX of an hour after cooking..Then into containers ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous10:04:00 PM

    I just skimmed the posts here but I wanted to add my two cents! I am from New Orleans born and raised. True seafood gumbo, (creole gumbo) is this... A base made from a roux- flour and oil browned in a pan stirred constantly over med low heat til smooth and desied color is achieved. Made with shrimp, crabmeat or gumbo crabs, and okra which should be fried in olive oil to reduce slime. add seasoning... chopped onion, green pepper garlic etc. stewed tomatoes. filet (ground sasafrass) about 1 tbsp. added when gumbo has cooled or a small amount to each bowl to taste.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!