Friday, January 19, 2007

Book Review: A Heart of Devotion by Tia McCollors

Now I mentioned in a post last month, when I reviewed this author's Zora Cry, that I wasn't going to review this book because it wasn't current. It is a little over a year old.

I gotta go back on that.

Sorry, I, the Oldgirl, lied.

I must mention this book because it has to be the most important book I read last year. Probably the most important I've read in a very long time.

And I read A LOT of books. This was one that I read back in December... and it is still burning in my mind. It's kinda like when you look at the sun for too long and you turn away... and you still see the sun, even with your eyes closed tight.

And it takes a bit of time to wear off.

Well, that's how this book was for me... I think about it everyday.

I really don't know how to describe this book. The post would be MUCH too long if I tried. So I think I will just copy the description from the bookmark that was included with the book. It really wraps up in a nutshell what this book is all about. I don't think Ms. Tia McCollors will mind. If so, send me a polite email, Tia, lol... No need to try to sue a sista!

"Best friends Anisha Blake and Sherri Dawson are inseparable until Anisha is swept away by Tyson Randall. Engulfed in romance, her intimate relationship with God becomes an afterthought. When her life begins to crumble, Anisha risks losing Tyson to a conniving woman from his past. Meanwhile, Sherri's desire for companionship drops her in the face of her own spiritual battle. Ultimately, Anisha is determined to set their lives back on the path to God's will. But can she make room in her heart for both her strong love of God and the love of her life?"

Yeah... it's inspirational. And it hits on a common problems: the choices we make, and the consequences of those choices; praying to God for help and waiting for answers.

The whole time I was reading this book, I was thinking to myself, "What is going to happen? How is this whole story going to play out?" I really cared about these characters.

I tell you, after I finished this book, I was shaken up a bit.

But I was also thinking "Goodness, I've been through this before, trying to do what's right, and failing miserablly. This is so familiar."

(Let me just say, my twenties were a very DARK time of my life.)

"I remember reading the last page, thinking "Hey that was good, let me go and get ready for work."

And then I remember standing in the kitchen, fixing my breakfast, and just breaking down crying right there at the stove. I remember saying "God now I understand. I am SO SORRY I was such a ho in my twenties! I am sorry I wasted so much of my life!"

I could not believe that I was having a crying fit at the kitchen counter. I don't know, I just look at my twenties, a 10 year slice of my life, and felt utter disappointment, I guess.

If only I would have had this book when I was in my twenties... I really don't know where I would be right now. Maybe there would have been less detours off my life's path or something.

In my 20's I was off the chain. Not as off the chain as most, but I had my own agenda. People who know me now, and not then would find that a bit laughable. Anyway, after reading this book, and looking back on my life, I realized I wasted a lot of time and made A LOT of bad decisions. A lot. A lot of time wasted smoking, dranking, looking for trouble, twerking VERY dangerously... the list goes on and on... and on. Just self-destructive as all get out...
And that is why I cried after I read it.

Geez.

Let's just say that I HIGHLY recommend this book to ANY woman who is in their 20's, who is in the midst of making choices... Let's face it, and I am speaking for myself, and quite a few of the women that I know... we all have been through that "phase" of wanting to get ourselves right with God, wanting to hear from God, just wanting to get our head right, trying to get away from dealing with people and places you know you ain't got no business dealing with.

This book hit so many isshas so swiftly and so efficiently.

Now was this a real review? Not sure, in the sense of the way I usually review a book... Just know that this book touched my heart. I am still in the midst of searching out my purpose in this world, as I know MANY others who are in that phase.

And this book, A heart for Devotion... It answered a lot of questions...

Questions that I didn't even know how to ask.

This book was an exceptional ministry tool, and I hope someone will use it to minister to young women who are just out there, trying to get themselves together, and searching for their purpose in life.

Great thought provoking book... Do yourself a favor and go check it out.

4 comments:

  1. Sup LadyLee!

    I'm working on book 3 and taking a break. Came across your blog to get caught up to what you been up too. I hardly have time to blog anymore. :-( But this looks like a good read. I'm going to have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Cherlyn...

    'Sup MA??

    Now, what a coincidence!! You do a drive by comment (and by the way, where the HECK is your blog twin?) and I just started your book First Fridays last night. I was in Borders last week and saw it and snatched it up! I am on page 32, and it's looking good, mon!! REAL good! You know I will most def throw up a review on it! I know you've been busy as all get out! Thanks for coming by!!

    I hear you are going to be at the COF get-together in Ohio in June. If I can get my money together for the trip, I look forward to meeting you!!! In the meantime, let me know if your book tour hits the ATL... I'll most definitely try to roll up on ya:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds interesting. Never heard of this writer but will check out the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm def going to have check that book out..I saw it at my local library and wondered it if was good..thanks for the tip

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!