Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Word of the Week: "Breastfeeding" Part II

Click here for previous post "Word of the Week Breastfeeding Part I."

Like I said, the word of the week is "breastfeeding."

And it doesn't have much to do with the previous post.

Well, come to think of it, it has everything to do with it.

I told my boss, The Darth Sista T, that I was going to do a blog post on her and her breastfeeding isshas.

She peered at me curiously for a moment and then it registered with her.

She rolled her eyes so hard that I thought they would roll out her head. There was a HARD sigh of exasperation. She squinted at me, and waved her fingers in my direction.

"Drama, LadyLee... drama, drama, drama!" she whispered.

I gave her the Celie crooked two fanger point while slowly backing out of he office.

I've been trying to come up with a way to describe "breastfeeding".

Let me first give MY definition of a term we are all familiar with: Brownnosing.

Brownnosing (I have no idea how to spell it, especially since I am NOT one), is when an employee kisses up to an employer for whatever reason (favoritism, promotion, etc., etc.). To me, it goes a bit deeper than that. One kisses a$$ when they know they HAVE to do it, because they are sorry as hell, lazy, or their own abilities are lacking so they GOTTA do something to stand out. And it can go as deep as having a self esteem issha.

I have no respect for brown nosers. I have pure and utter disdain for them. You'd do good to stay away from me if you are one.

Let's just say "Breastfeeding" is the direct opposite, i.e...

...When a boss brownnoses an employee.

Got that?

My best friend LadyTee says "Girl, that happens all the time."

I guess it does. But I just don't notice it much, I suppose.

Is that actually possible? For a boss to do EVERYTHING to make an employee comfortable and happy, almost to the point where the boss appears to be delusional? Even to the detriment of the group itself?

A little story for you... and you know how longwinded I can get. LOL!!

I am a chemist and I work in a lab. We have this dude (We'll call him "Tom") on our team at work who pretty much gets to do his own thing. I mean, I've been here on my job for 6 years, and I'm still not totally clear on what his purpose is. He works weird vampire like hours, and I think he does research. Sometimes we never see him. (When people ask "Where's Tom?" we all burst into a uncontrollable FIT of laughter.)

This dude even likes to go on the side of the building and smoke. We pontificate about what he is smoking. Who knows? If I, the Oldgirl, was sneaking off on the side of the building smoking, I would probably be face down on the ground in handcuffs. Hmm. That don't have much to do with this post. Just thought that I would throw that in there.

I'm like this: I don't really care what you do. As long as you stay out of my way, and it doesn't interfere with my paycheck? Handle your business. Get over as much as you can.

But I have noticed for YEARS, that dude is exempt from group meetings, and just doesn't have the same requirements as the rest of the team. Now, if I'm one second late to a group meeting, my boss is paging me. But I was telling someone years ago, I didn't understand why I gotta go to group meetings, and this dude does not.

I've been known to yell "Yeah, I'll get there when 'Tom' gets there."

Well, lately he has been required to come to meetings. And we all peer at him curiously, because he has been exempt from everything. Hmmm...

I remember a couple of years ago (and we still joke about this), he was whining hard about the way people dealt with labels and wanted it done a different way. He wanted them placed on tubes a certain way, so he could remove them the way he liked.

My thoughts later, when discussing with various colleagues, were "Ya'll crazy as hell if ya'll do things the way he wants. I would make it even harder for him!!"

Well, we've been shorthanded in the lab. And my boss threw dude in the mix. YIKES.

I walked in the lab one day, and almost stumbled when I saw him. It is a bizarre enough sight to see dude in the lab working. I have never seen this dude do regular lab work. And on top of that, there are NOTORIOUS stories of him destroying equipment. Ugh.

Like I said, as long as you stay out of my way? Do YOUR thang.

Anyway, the "stay out of LadyLee's way" mantra only lasted for so long.

My boss called me into her office one day.

"LadyLee, I need you to train 'Tom' on the instruments."

**crickets**

It took a minute to register with me... But the hard frown set in after a moment.

"Okay, don't trip LadyLee!"

"Man, I don't want to fool with that dude! Darth Sista, you always breasfeeding him!"

**Boss Darth Sista T kicks the extra hard eyeroll.**

She hates when I say that!! But shoot, it's the truth.

So after much of my yelling, talking of MUCH trash, and scratching of walls (I would've flipped a desk over if I thought I could get away with it) etc...

I was FORCED into training 'Tom'...

To be continued...

3 comments:

  1. ok... I didn't know where you were going with this. no i see it is going to be good!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am waiting. I know this is going to be good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:39:00 PM

    I like the terminology and I hate to admit that I was on the breast for a while ...

    when they had me traveling every week ... 4 star hotels while everyone else had to get in where they fit in; brand new furniture in my office; HUGE cash bonus and tickets to that crazy french circus. they were definitely working hard to keep a sista happy.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!