Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Word of the Week: "Breastfeeding" Part III

click here for Word of the WeeK: "Breastfeeding" Part II.

So, I was being FORCED into training 'Tom'.

I must admit that this depressed me. For the past 6 years, I've had very minimal contact with 'Tom'. And it was the type of contact where you hold the door open for someone... that type of contact. Let's just say, I don't talk with the dude AT ALL. And that's easy since he worked the weird hours.

I sat down with Tom and explained my method of training and what we would be doing. I'm not sure how he felt about that (correction: I didn't give a dayum how he felt about that) since he always has this pained expression on his face. I just wanted to get out that these are the rules, and this is the way I've done it for 6 YEARS. If the methods work, they work, and no need to change it up.

I am a good teacher. I create exercises, give out DETAILED instructions... everything. I will sit with you and teach you until you understand.

So I showed Tom "step one" of the process. When I show someone "Step one", then they stick on step one until I think he or she is ready to move on to step two, etc...

This fool here wanted to learn more.

"No," I said flatly.

"Okay," he said.

10 minutes later, he asks, "Ladylee could you show me how to do blah, blah, blah?"

I stare at him. "No."

"Okay," he said again. He nodded, his expression still pained.

This occurs 3 more times. That last time, I just walked off.

I went and talked to my boss.

"Look here, I got your boy started. Dude don't seem to understand the meaning of the word 'No', but I got him started."

She gave me a pained look, because she knew I was gearing up to talk MUCH trash. But I was calm. I went on about my business...

... and talked to some fellow coworkers about him, who have more experience with him.

"Man, this fool wanted me to show him how to do blah, blah, blah," I yelled. "I had to tell him 'no' five times."

All of the coworkers I talked to said basically the same thing.

"That's the way he do, Ladylee. He's real passive agressive. He thinks he can wear you down."
**crickets**

You. Have. Got. To. Be. Kidding. Me.

Really.

That was an interesting bit of information to have. Very interesting. Mind games. That ain't good. That ain't good at all.

So, the next day, when it came time for Tom to deal with the instrument, he did some things wrong. I am the type that works close with you. I told him to come get me when he was ready. Nope. Tom decided to do his own thing.

He didn't mess up anything serious. It's just that we have a pretty stringent data naming process. It has worked for all of us for 6 YEARS, so uh... why not stick with the process?? This guy did some intricate naming. Very intricate. Ugh.

I ran up on Tom. "Tom, go change the data names. It shouldn't take long, but you have to change it."

He wanted to debate me.

"Man, change the names like I said. I showed you what to do, do it."

He was still trying to debate.

I AGGRESSIVELY told him again what to do. He said he would. Then I walked off.

The next day, when I checked his stuff, he did not do it. I stormed into my boss Darth Sister's office and WENT OFF!

The gist of it was... "What's wrong with that dude? Is he retarded or something?"

There was a Loooong drawn out rant on my part. I can't STAND when people don't follow directions! Shoot man, you don't have to like me. At least respect your fellow coworkers. And his not following of directions was gonna throw everything off.

My boss paged him and he called her back. She told him the situation. Tom tried to act like he didn't know what she was talking about.

And what was a trip... when I talked with Tom, there was a witness standing there that heard the whole thing. Wow.

I REALLY got pissed then. I started yelling while she was on the phone with him. I ended up walking out.

What's worse, I was told to go correct Tom's work. I had to take time to go fix what he didn't feel like fixing. Hmmm. That is NOT good.

Somehow, the next day, I ended up talking to my boss' boss. I showed this woman my instructions, and told her that they need to talk to him or something. She looked at everything and basically came up with some excuses for Tom.

"So, you telling me that he don't have to follow instructions? So that means none of us have to follow instructions, right?"

"No, no, LadyLee, blah, blah, blah."

Pissed me off, once again, and I started getting loud.

"Okay, LadyLee, don't let this get all up in your head and all."

Not sure what that was suppose to mean.

I had an acting supervisor that day, since my boss was out. She was in the meeting, and uh, I think I scared her. Oh my!!

But, uh... the major point I wanted to get across to them.. and I KNOW they tired of hearing this!

"Ya'll a bunch of breastfeeders! And I ain't breastfeeding that dude!"

Thank goodness I didn't see Tom in the hall that day, because he would have gotten throttled.

It turns out now that I have to document everything when it comes to him now. It has to be on official paperwork and everything. That really bothers me, because we are all intelligent people, and it shouldn't take all that. We didn't even know that there WAS any official training paperwork to fill out. Why? Because none of us is stupid, and can follow intstructions.

But some people aren't all that intelligent. Some people are breastfed, and it looks as if they can do whatever they want to do.

I made a mini-threat the other day. I told my boss if Tom messes up again, he is banned from my equipment, and he needs to come talk to them, and someone needs to then come talk to me. They can write me up, whatever. Someone needs to come up in here and let me know the reason for all the special treatment or something.

Yeah, that is harsh. But management has railroaded me and thrown me under the bus WAAY too many times, and uh... let's just say... the Oldgirl won't be breastfeeding Tom. And I'm like this... you gotta catch the craziness at the root, at the beginning when it first starts. If I have to go head to head with Tom, then hey... bring it on. He WILL be following instructions, or he can go jump in the lake.

Now, it's been said that Tom files a lot of grievances and lawsuits. (I'm not sure why... it ain't like he work as hard as the rest of us). I HOPE that is the reason for the special treatment. And it look real suspect that he's not the same uh, "complexion" as the rest of us. Hmmm. I'm not sure. My boss seems to think he walks on water or something. I told her they need to just stick him back off in the cubby hole he's been in since I've been here.

My cubicle mate Cowgirl Cre and I make jokes about the breastfeeding issue. We close our jackets to protect our breast... We run up on each other saying "Here's a tissue, girl... wipe your mouth! You got a little breast milk on your mouth!"

I've been threatening to make sucking noises at Tom if I ever see him roaming around. That wouldn't be good. Dude might think I'm blowing kisses at him. LOL!!

But, there is nothing worse than brownnosers or breastfed people.Nothing.

I know you know some breastfed people.

I hope you are not one.

3 comments:

  1. wow. I used to date both. and let me tell you, I wanted to push them in the lake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm falling out over here! Okay. I know this is a serious issue for you, but the jokes y'all have about this dude are straight hilarious! *sigh* Okay. I got it together now. I know a few breastfeeders and it's a dayum shame for them to be even remotely involved with the rest of the clan. I tell you, it's just a hot mess!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is CRAZY funny! I breastfed my daughter for over two years. So, girl I was crackin' up. Great analogy!

    He's trouble and management is following “all” the rules to protect him. Unfortunately, Tom is in it for the long haul. Moreover, you'll be the one written up in the end. Corporate politics are a real drag!

    Take a deep breath and think of it as a mission to stretch yourself. Have you been praying for patience? =)

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!