Thursday, November 01, 2007

Coffy and Xylophone Tales


Last weekend, I watched Coffy, a movie that I'd rented about a month ago... I hadn't been able to get through the whole thing in one sitting. But my best friend LadyTee stopped by, and we had a look-see.

Coffy is the blaxploitation film that brought Pam Grier to the forefront. It was uh, quite interesting. I learned a few things in the process...

Proper ingredients for a blaxploitation movie: drugs, guns, sex, a colorful pimp, and prostitutes. This movie even had the corrupt cops and politicians. Goodness.

Everytime there's a fight scene, someone's blouse gets ripped open,i.e., there must be showing of breasts. Funny how the actresses didn't wear bras.

The most interesting thing I've seen in a long time: Pam Grier off in a ladies room, strategically placing razor blades in her wig. Big fight scene breaks out... Some broad thought it was a good idea to grab the wig...
That chick's hands got all cut up. GROSS. But interesting.

Anyhow, I liked the soundtrack of the movie, and I've ordered it. Especially the title track "Coffy is the Color." I found the song on Youtube, and I've been driving my cubicle mate CRAZY, singing

"Coffy is the Color of your skiiiin! Coffy is the world you live iiiiin!"

**LadyLee breaking out into a huge combination of 70 dances, one wrong move away from knocking our cubicle over***
LOL! I dont' know how she puts up with the Oldgirl.

Anyway, the soundtrack was composed by Roy Ayers.
I looked around for some of his music. We saw something that had us a bit perplexed.




Maybe it's just me... But is he trying to make the xylophone sexy? Is that what he is doing.

All of the ladies here were perplexed by that.



Except one. My fellow coworker "Detroit Meek-Meek" thought that, back in the 70's that was a sexy pose, posing with your xylophone. And she reminded us that back in the 70's how we use to love those album covers. I guess when you look at it THAT way... yeah, take your shirt off and lean across your xylophone. But imagine the scene.

Groupie walks up on Musician. "You in the band?"
"Why yes. Yes I am."
"What instrument do YOU play?"
"I play the xylophone."
"That mean you stand back there next to the the drummer, right?"
"Yes, I do."
"Can you introduce me to the drummer?"

LOL! (Okay, that might not be funny, but we thought it was HILARIOUS. Maybe you just had to be here when we were acting it out.)

That may not happen anymore, because Roy Ayers made the xylophone sexy!!

I don't think Roy Ayers ever got the props he deserves. Just listening to some of the songs...A LOT of people sample his music: Mary J. Blige, Erykah Badu, etc.

Maybe it was because of that xylophone. Who knows...

Speaking of xylophones... I am SURE everyone had one of these if t hey were a kid back in the 70's and early 80's.


If you didn't you don't know what you were missing!!

3 comments:

  1. I still have my xylophone. My pack rat, I mean older brother keeps everything.

    Interesting movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Breasts" exposed during fight scenes?! Okay, is this a theme week?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, so when we read Third Girl from the Left, didn't they talk about this movie? And why did I think it was a fake movie and not a real one... Um, maybe you will have to do a week of black history education for the younger kids on the block.. LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!