Tuesday, November 27, 2007

For the Love of "Pink"

*LadyLee kicks off her Nikes, and steps up on rickety soap box. The inhabitants of "Lurk City" gather around.*

I, the Original Oldgirl, have written a commemorative poem in honor of our most honorable Diva and Lurk City Queen Ta.yari Jones birthday week celebrations.

*LadyLee unrolls fine gold leaf paper*

This poem is in honor of Tay.ari's favorite color and the official color of Lurk City... Pink.

Pink

I like pink
Cause pink don’t care
About the yellow of the sun
Shining bright upon my face
About the green of the grass



Tickling the bottom of my feet
About the black of my hair
Flowing fancy free in the wind,
Silky, all natural, and chemical-free.


I like pink
Cause pink knows exactly
From whence it came
From red like the fire that keeps me warm
From white like the clouds


Floating by
High above my head
In the bright blue sky.

I like pink
Cause pink is me.


*LadyLee drops the paper to the ground, and raises hands skyward. Lurk City townspeople are awestruck*

Ha!

Yeah.

That’s that Pillitzer Prize winning poetry right there.

Yeah!!!

I got so excited about my little poem that I had to call somebody!

So I called my best friend LadyTee and read it to her!

"I like pink, cause pink don't care..."

Afterwards, she was silent. Probably awe stricken, I thought.

“Okay,” she finally said.
“That was hot right there, wasn’t it?”
“Okay,” she repeated.
What's the problem, Tee?"
“Who helped you with that?”
“Nobody,” I yelled. “I did that myself. That's that Pillitzer prize winning ish, chick.”
“Good, because I was gonna tell you, whoever helped you with that needs to be FIRED.”
*Lee frowns hard*

I didn't want to talk to her anymore after that.

So, my sister Kentucky came home. I was sitting on the sofa, and she was diddling around in the kitchen, fixing dinner.

“Kentucky! I want you to listen to this poem I wrote for Tay.ari!”
“Alright,” she said.

I recited it in all it’s eloquence.

"I like Pink, cause pink don’t care…"

“Whatcha think about that, Kentucky?”
She wiped her hands on a hand towel and turned on the oven. “It was good, Lee.”

Okay. Kentucky is being Kentucky. She is a PRO at saying exactly what one wants to hear.

“Stop playing, girl”.

“No, it was good.”

*crickets*

“Because you like pink, Lee.”

*big crickets*

“Unh-unh, no I don’t.”

Kentucky goes on to talk about how when, a few years ago, she and I were watching the movie 2 Fast 2 Furious , I was feenin’ for the pink car that the female racer drove in the movie. She talked about how hard I was screaming about getting my zoom-zoom (Mazda) painted pink with the pink fur interior.

She even went on to say that the poem could be about the singer Pink, Blah, blah, blah.

*LadyLee staring at her, blinking rapidly... perplexed that she was giving all these reasons of why the poem made sense and was indeed good.*

Naaah. I don’t like pink. It's too girly, and I'm a tomboy. I have NO pink items. NONE.

She’s just saying what she thought I wanted to hear.

But she had a slight smile on her face and that special look in her eye, like she actually liked it.

Goodness.

I left her alone. She needed to concentrate on finishing dinner.

Then I spoke with my friend and coworker, Cowgirl Cre, on Thanksgiving evening. Man, she was HOT because she had to work on Thanksgiving day. We had an insane b*tch fest about it. We were quite crunk about it, but calmed down later.

“Cre, listen to my poem,” I blurted.
“Okay.”

I cleared my throat and began to read.

"I like pink, cause pink don’t care…"

I finished reading it. I asked her what she thought.

“What kind of crap is that?”
“What??”
“That sound like somebody said, ‘Okay Lee, I need you to write a 20 word poem’, and you were like 'Okay, I like pink, cause...'”
I laughed. I told her what LadyTee said.
“Yeah, that sound like Oscar Tyrone helped you, girl.”

She had a point. My cat Oscar-Tyrone was milling around watching me that day, a little more than usual.

He had that look that said “Yeah, LadyLee, I like that. That whole pink thing... It sounds good, real good. But listen, LadyLee… I need you to, uh, freshen up my litter box and put out more food and water."

LOL!

Cowgirl Cre continued ranting.

"You need to leave that literary sh** alone, and come on back home, man!"

I whined in disagreement.

"And what's up with that green grass?"
"What?"
"The grass, Lee. That's some craziness."
"Why? What's wrong with feet in green grass?"
Cowgirl Cre groaned. "You know... Ta.yari likes her fly shoes!"

"So," I said. I didn't get the point she was trying to make.

"You know she ain't 'bout to let her feet touch no damn grass."

I thought about that for a moment. She did have a point. Ta.yari was a Diva for life.

I was silent for a moment. "Well, I don't see what's wrong with feet in grass. It's a good feeling."

Cowgirl Cre huffed. "You know, she gonna read that and be like, 'What is LadyLee talking about? She knows I like my fly shoes. My feet are not touching grass. This isn't the country! I'M NOT COUNTRY!'"

LOL!!

Cowgirl Cre had a point indeed.

No, Tay.ari... you're not "country". I know you gasp in horror at the very thought of wiggling freshly manicured toes in fresh green grass...

No, you're not country...

And you know what? I, the Oldgirl, am not a poetess!!

I will most definitely keep my chemistry job.

But it was fun to try and write a poem, nevertheless!!

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:08:00 AM

    That poem was some kind of craziness!!! You know I was NOT feelin' it after workin all day and finally eatin some of ma's cookin and havin a chronic case of the 'itis. You even tried to set it up like it was the bomb and you were wrong for that!!!
    Leave it to the pro's for a minute. Practice in private... OKAY!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Cowgirl Cre...

    I think that was it. You'd been working all day, and was not up for it. Maybe I should have caught you at a better time.

    I'm still not sure you would like it...

    In that case, go get back on your horse and leave me alone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:00:00 PM

    I liked it! But you already know you can write:-P
    Vivian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:53:00 PM

    He had that look that said “Yeah, LadyLee, I like that. That whole pink thing... It sounds good, real good. But listen, LadyLee… I need you to, uh, freshen up my litter box and put out more food and water."

    Totally have me ROTFLMAO

    No comment on the poem though lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:53:00 PM

    WHUZ UP MAMI...AINT SEEN U IN A LONG TIME!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You take an innocent idea and create a story with heaps of comedy. You do it so well!

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!