Wednesday, May 28, 2008

CONGRATULATIONS Dedric, Class of 2008 !!

My best friend LadyTee's son, Dedric, who we affectionately call "Nell", graduated from high school last Friday.


!!!CONGRATULATIONS DEDRIC!!!

Dang boy... seems like you were JUST born yesterday. I remember the night your Ma went into labor. It was 1989. I was 19 and your Ma was 21. We were over at your Aunt Nita's house, watching television. Your Mama was sitting on the couch, eating beans and franks. Then she started in on a bowl of cornflakes.

(Yes, I was sitting there, staring at her. I thought her food choices were, uh, disgusting).

"I got gas, Lee," she said.
"Look at what you eating," I said. "No wonder."

"Shut up, girl!"

I got up and went home. I had class early the next morning, so I needed to do my homework and go to bed.

She called me the next day.

"Girl, a little after you left, my water broke."
"WHAT?"
"Yeah, girl?"
"You had the baby?"
"Yeah, girl! It was a piece of cake. Nothing to it, come on down and see!"
"Alright!"


I remember hanging up the phone and thinking: "She sound like she a little high or something."


Which she was.

By the time I finished up at school and got to the hospital, she had come back to reality.

She looked crazy as hell, all weak and dishelved. I sat next to her on the bed and held you in my arms. You were sleeping, and your Mama was WHINING hard.

"Girl, I ain't having sex EVER again, not even with my husband. Blah, blah, BLAAAH!!"

LOL!!!!!

That was the beginning of an adventure. I remember when you first started walking and talking, and how, when you knew I was coming over, you'd stand and stare out the window, waiting for my car to drive up.

You would go crazy, screaming...

"My Friend! It's my friend!!! My friend is here. IT'S MY FRIEND!!!!!"

This would thoroughly piss your mother off...

"She is NOT your friend, Dedric. She is MY friend!!!"

I would try to calm her. "Tee, he's only a baby. He's only 1 years old. Just let him think that. Look at him, he look so happy."

"I don't care," she would say. "He need to find his own friends."

**crickets**

You caught on, even at a young age, and stopped saying it.

But it didn't matter.

We were still happy to see each other.

And now, I'm glad to see you have your own road dog, your own best friend Pat, who we call "PJ".


PJ was at the graduation when we got there. He was off in the cut, "trying to talk to somebody's woman", LadyTee's Mother "Babs" said.

But I was glad to see ol' PJ. He represents, like only a best friend should. (Even though I had to tell dude to pull his sagging pants up a hundred times, LOL!!) And now, I don't have to hear your Mama threaten you anymore. ("Dedric, leave Lee alone. That's my friend, not yours! Go find your own friend!")

(But now, she is following her daughter "Milk-Milk" around, saying "Don't YOU wish YOU had a BFF?!")

Don't worry, Milk! You'll have your own BFF soon enough.



LOL!!

Your cousin Lil' Corey came to the graduation. I don't know WHERE he came from. It was almost like he swung into the place on a rope through the roof or something. When they called your name, Dedric, we all hollered and screamed, but he bent over the balcony, and hollered loudest of all.

Yep, we were GLAD to see you get through high school, boy!!

I am particularly glad. I don't have to hear your Mama complaining about getting you up at 5 a.m. anymore so you can make the 2 hour bus ride to that dayum North Springs High school. GEEZ! (But I am going to miss our early 5 a.m. convos, LadyTee. Maybe I'll just call you around that time for ol' time sakes. LOL!)

I don't know why you young dudes won't smile, and want to be all hardcore. But your Mama was all smiles that day. That's just how happy she was to see you march down that aisle and get your diploma!


Your school asked loved ones to write letters to the graduating seniors, and LadyTee asked me to write a letter to you. I had soooooo much to say, but wanted to keep it to only one page. I wrote how I was sooo proud of you, and how I know you will go on to do great things.


But I wrote one thing in particular:

Boy, your Mama is always screaming... "She's my friend, not yours, Dedric."

I beg to differ.

I AM YOUR FRIEND.

Really though.

Dedric, I am SO proud of you. I know you will go on to do GREAT things. You are one of the most compassionate and caring people that I know. Like I said, it seems like you were born just yesterday. I remember your first words, when you first started to walk.... I remember all of your life triumphs. And don't forget, you are my #1 playstation NBA08 game playing partner (LOL).

You've turned out to be a wonderful young man.

Go Forward, and do great things.

And always remember.

No matter what your Mama says...

I am your friend.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:17:00 AM

    That was nice, Ladylee. I got misty eyed. I can tell Ladytee is a proud mama.

    Congratulations Dedric!!! Your education is one thing nobody can take away from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And it seems that Ladylee is a proud mama on the side...

    ReplyDelete
  3. LadyLee has many children! Sowing into Dedric's life is a blessing to read about. It reminds me of my auntie ways with my nephew through marriage. I love that boy! He's now 15 and dating. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!