Monday, September 29, 2008

Got Gas??

For the past couple of weeks, the conversations around my way, in my beloved ATL, have changed dramatically. They have gone from

How you doing today?
How are things going?
How's the family?
Whatchu know good?

to

Whassup with the gas!!?

and

Ya'll know where I can find some gas?!

and various curse-ladened versions thereof. We won't go into all that.

We have a gas shortage in Georgia. I hear it is going on in the Carolinas also. Folks down here are fighting, cussing each other out, pulling guns, all KINDS of craziness all over...

GAS

Or should I say... the FEAR of the probability of not being able to get gas. The fear of straight up running out of gas and NEVER finding gas, every again.

Because that's what it is really about. Right? Right?

I must admit that I buy into it. Let's just say, if I see a gas station open, you best believe I stop and "top off" my ish. And that's coming from someone who MIGHT run through a quarter tank a week or a third of a tank on a crazy week.

Let's just say, I fillup once a month, so it's not affecting me too much. I don't know WHAT would be going through my mind if I had a real commute.

The thing is, one can find gas, but there is a long line. And we live in a fast paced society these days. NOBODY has the patience for that. And I don't want to get caught up in no lines. People are impatient, and that's a recipe for trouble.

My coworker Ol Mean Ass Cynthia was riding on fumes the other day. I told her EXACTLY where to go. There's a particularly scuzzy looking gas station about a mile from my house.

"Girl, go up there on the corner of Pryor and Abernathy. I don't ever go in there! EVER! It looks scary! I know if I'm scared to run up in there, you know the white peoples is. Go there!"

LOL!!

She ended up going to a gas station up the road from there, near the freeway. And she came back all wide-eyed, talking about long lines and arguments and stuff...

(Hard-headed broad. I told that chick where to go. HUMPH).

This worked for a couple of days last week... I could roll up in there and "top off", with no lines, no waiting, nothing.

Why is it that, on Friday, everybody and there Mama was up there? The line was LONG as all get out. And now, that station is out of gas.

Yep, it's become a straight up scavenger hunt for gas. I would've never thought that I would see something like this. I'd heard of the gas lines in the 70's. I remember my Mama and nem talking about it, but of course that wasn't important to me back then. I was more concerned about what time Scooby-Doo and the Flintstones was coming on, you see.

And this craziness is suppose to go on for another month. YIKES.

THIS Oldgirl has developed a strategy. And it seems to be working.

LadyLee's Bootleg "Get Your Dayum Gas" Tips:
(for ATLiens, that is)

1. Best place to find gas: THE HOOD. We figured out that it's harder to find gas way out in the suburbs. It's there, but no one wants to deal with a line. Another coworker, Detroit Meek-Meek, lives way the hell out in a suburb on the west side. She'd somehow got caught up driving through the hood and noticed all the available gas.

"The white people ain't found them yet," I yelled. "That's the place to go!"

2. Don't take the freeway to get where you need to go. Take the street way. I had a finance meeting yesterday out in East Point. I passed 10 gas stations on the drive back home. 3 had gas. There were long lines at two stations, and a short line at one. I am down to 2/3rds of a tank, and I didn't bother to stop. I am only down that far because I ran out to the southside twice (had to, for a funeral, and if it wasn't for that, well...), and I should be straight for a minute since I am doing minimum driving.


3. Start looking for gas when you are a quarter of a tank low, at least. These folks are running out of gas left and right. Start riding around BEFORE your needle hits "E".

4. "Top off" whenever you can. I think THIS is the reason for the long lines. People have gas. We're just topping it off here and there. It's a shame, but you gotta do what you gotta do. We dealing with all this fear of running out of gas.

5. Go out early on a Saturday or Sunday morning to get gas. This is my sister Kentucky's strategy. She's gotten up on Sunday mornings around 7:00 a.m. and has made gas runs to closeby stations with no problem. I just figured out that was what she was doing, because that girl sleep HARD if she don't have anything to do. (I shoulda made her butt take my car to whereever she went to top my ish off).

Anyway, I'm not in a panic. I live about 5 minutes from my job. I don't drive much. I'm cool.

I do feel for folks like my boss, who has a 70 mile round trip to deal with.

(No, on second thoughts, I don't feel sorry for management. HUMPH).

This whole situation reminds me of a book I read many years ago: Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler. The problem wasn't gas, as folks couldn't afford cars anymore and everybody seem to be walking or riding a bike to get to where ever they need to go. The issue was WATER, which, if I'm remembering correctly, was in rare supply and cost some 7 dollars a gallon. It was only available at "Water stations".

If you were able to get water, you'd better hide it. If not, you would get robbed or killed over it. People were standing around waiting for a sucka to slip up.

Now...

Knowing this, this "gas shortage" is not that bad. As a matter of fact, they said it will be over in 2 weeks to a month.

Things could be worse. Much worse.

But they are not.

We will all be alright.

Really, we will...

14 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:02:00 AM

    I heard about the gas shortage. The news showed a clip of two women arguing.

    The hood is the best place to get gas. I always go to the hood for gas because it's always cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Parable of the Sower is one of my all time favorite books!

    HHmmm re-thinking my relocation plans to the ATL until the gas crisis is handled (smile)

    This is very telling. If it happens once it can happen a gain. Gas this time...perhaps water the next?

    Keep the faith!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @That Southern Black Gal...

    Gal, do you think I'ma be out here trying to argue somebody down over some gas? SMH!! It's a trip!

    Well, it's the opposite here: gas is cheap waay out in the suburbs, high as all get out in the hood. Makes no sense!!

    @Lovebabz

    BABZ!!!

    That is like, the best book! LOVED-ED IT!! And the water being scarce in the book... If that happened in this day and time we'd be in a whole MESS of trouble. UGH!!

    Move on down here, chile! Gas crisis will be over next month sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The current market shake up has put a lot of people eat the pumps and made runs on supply, it's crazy. Right now, gas is $3.13 in S.W. Mo., I paid $3.43 for premium today.

    (arrived via Darius' spectacular blog)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't feel sorry for any of my friends in ATL complaining. Houston was straight up WITHOUT gas and we still have lines and foolishness. You can live with 2 weeks, lol. Go to the BP on Bankhead or the Exxon right off 166 and Delowe. You'll live, lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Water will be next unless we figure out what to do about pollution and global warming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm actually surprised that you all are still out. I agree whole heartedly with Carleen about water being next. Especially when it comes to Georgia (atlanta area), Florida, and Alabama who have been in water wars for over 20 years. Atlanta's developed grew so rapidly and the planners failed to make sure the infrastructure could support all the new comers. Anyway...darn shame about our natural resources.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @CDM...I think panic is the issha right now. And I WISH gas was $3.13. I paid $4.39/gallon, which is pretty high around here.

    @The Infamous LA... Well, I don't feel sorry for any of us. Shoot, Baton Rouge was without power for a good 2 weeks, wasn't it? And let's not even talk about Houston and the evacuations. We'd lose our minds if we had to evacuate the ATL. Like I said, things could be worse, like having no water. Things could be MUCH worse. All I know, thangs don't get so bad where I gotta be cussing folks out at the pump. MAN!

    @That Botanical Chick Carleen... Yeah, water will be next. We take SO much stuff for granted, and loss of water would have people slitting their throats.

    @Aretha...You know, not this summer, but last summer, there was a SEVERE water shortage/drought goin on in the ATL. People were a bit panicky. I know we had a system of whenever we went to the store, we would buy a gallon of water and put it up. But that's about it. Thank goodness it didn't go further than that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:15:00 PM

    I am on full now. It took me two days to find some gas and I had to creep out @ 5 am. Had to go all the way to QT on Lawrenceville Hwy.

    This is getting crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. lmao@this list. SO TRUE.

    i was on 'e' on sunday. hit that gas station at about 5:30 in the morning. sure, there was a line, but it wasn't as long and i was out in ten minutes.

    i also make a point of doing a few things with one trip. went to the bank and the grocery store and the library with one trip. LOL.

    man, folk losing they MINDS in the atl over some gas! i'm thinking about getting a bike.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Geez - really? I'm sorry to hear about that. If you were here in Chciago you wouldn't need gas cuz you'd have the CTA to get around in.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Lady Girl...

    I know a couple of people doing middle of the night runs. Do what you gotta do!

    @Nikki...

    Nikki, what you doing riding on "E"? SHAME ON YOU!

    You know, this too has taught me to conserve, and plan my errands a bit better. I guess that's the best thing to come out of this.

    Ain't no need to be getting a bike though. This will be over in a couple of weeks!

    @Master Chef Darius...

    CTA? We got MARTA, and peeps are treating it like it's a prime limo service these days, lol!!

    No, but on the real, I ALWAYS make sure I live on a bus line. ALWAYS. Just in case some craziness pop off, I got a ride to get somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know some people who disagree on the we'll be alright bit, but these are some good tips for gas...

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry y'all are going through this...people are straight panicking, which is causing folks to act a plum fool over gas!

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!